Thread: Waterman's 52 Ripple - black and red

Thanks

Default Waterman's 52 Ripple - black and red

good afternoon everybody, I have acquired this pens and am puzzled as to why the cap doesn't have a clip.
    There are 3 breather holes on the cap all of the same size. I have read a few descriptions of this model but all mention a pocket clip.
    Ideas ? Shall I send it back ? Cheers
    Marco

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Default Re: Waterman's 52 Ripple - black and red

Three vent holds all at more or less the same level is not uncommon. Are there two rivet holes in line near the top of the cap? No? It never had a cap. If there are holes, a clip can be attached. A hole in the top of the cap? Maybe had a ring fastened to it.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Ron good evening, the 3 holes are at the same height on the cap, no hole on the top of the cap either.
    Apart from these 3 holes there are no other holes on the cap.

Cap 1.jpg
    Cap 2.jpg
    Cap 4.jpeg

So it is possible that earlier 52 Ripples didn't have a clip ?

Thank you
    Marco
    Last edited by MarcoA64; November 3rd, 2021 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Another possibility is an earlier cap that has been mismatched to a 52 barrel. I'm certain the proper info can be found, I don't happen to have deep knowledge of this era pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Clips were optional nd could be installed by the retailer.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

eachan (November 4th, 2021), Jon Szanto (November 3rd, 2021), Scrawler (January 19th, 2022)

Thanks

These pen belongs to certain period and those time lot of pens seems to come without clips. Pens like " Da La Rue -pen " never had a clip. Swan- Marbie Todds pens eye dropper pens never had clips.
    So then the waterman belongs to that period also never had clips. I am not sure if The waterman 52 belongs to that time.
    So waterman seems to have introduced the ring clip for the first time for those pens which came as an option and never designed with clip. This is what I learn and if I am wrong please correct me.
    I have several waterman with those (extra) clips.Those clips are marked WATERMAN IDEAL. Also I have lot of other pens without clips. And several pens with holes and signed of marks of a ring around the cap that has lost clips.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 355 Posts

Hi. I have many 52s , several in 'red ripple' and all have clips . The 52 1/2 v. didnt have a clip as such from what I've seen, but they had ring tops. The 52 1/2 s (that I have ) all have clips .
    Personally, I've not seen a 52 that was clipless, and I may be wrong, but the most common 52 , from the mid 20s, was the first with that number...and later 52s mostly had clips.
    If I were to guess, I'd say yours was meant to have a clip, and either it slipped past the checkers ( unlikely) or it was taken off or fell off ??
    Usually when they've come off, there's evidence of the clip having been there !
    The clips themselves do pop up from time to time so you could get one if you wanted to !

There were other Waterman pens from that era that were clipless...maybe a 15 ? And I've got one or two with obscure numbers that were clipless , so another possibility, as Jon says, is that you have a cap from another red ripple model that just happens to fit ??

Update: a search of **images shows that there were one or two BCHR52s with no clip. And one red ripple 52 which did appear to be clipless. ...maybe you have one of those ones that someone ordered with no clip!
    Last edited by Robalone; January 18th, 2022 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

@robalone, i see your post today. thank you very much for your contribution. interesting comment.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoA64 For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 4th, 2022)