Thread: ensso XS minimalist pocket pen

Thanks

Default ensso XS minimalist pocket pen

I'm going to do a meta-review of pocket pens soon on my blog www.peninvestigations.com , but I wanted to post a quicker review of the ensso XS minimalist pocket pen here first. Especially since I couldn't find all that many reviews of the pen when I was considering buying it.

This is a TINY pen! Women's pants' pockets tend to be stupidly small, and I have some pants where the Kaweco Sport won't fit in the pockets. Not a problem with this ensso. As you can see from the photos below, it's a good bit shorter than the Kaweco Sport and the Pilot Petit1 and also quite a bit skinnier. But posted, it's comparable in length. It's a snap cap; it uncaps quickly and posts nicely on the back, with an o-ring to keep it secure. This makes it, in my experience, much quicker to deploy than the Sport. I really like the facets on this pen. Since it's a snap cap, not a screw one, it's really easy to adjust the facets to line up. This also makes it easy to make sure the clip doesn't dig into you while using it posted. Personally, I find this pen very comfortable to use.

I posted on FPGeeks earlier about my initial problems with the nib. When I popped in a cartridge, it wrote for a bit, and then the ink dried up. The tines looked really close together, so I tried flossing them, and pretty much immediately chipped away at the black finish on the nib. That was really frustrating, especially as black nibs are getting harder to find. With just a bit more work, I managed to get the nib to write wonderfully. Ever since then, I've not had a problem with this pen not writing. I even left it uncapped for a two hour meeting, just jotting notes occasionally, and it barely ever even skipped a stroke. While I wasn't initially a fan of stealth pens, I do now see the appeal. I didn't get any side glances while using this pen. However, it does look like this pen won't be stealthy for all that long. There are other places where the black finish is beginning to chip off as well. I expected this would happen eventually, but not within a matter of a few weeks. Even so, the pen itself looks like it'll hold up for a good long time.

PXL_20211025_215817264.jpgPXL_20211025_215937425.jpgPXL_20211025_215718031.jpg
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PenInvestigations For This Useful Post:

Deb (October 21st, 2023), Robert (November 11th, 2021), Yazeh (November 10th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: ensso XS minimalist pocket pen

Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks

Default Re: ensso XS minimalist pocket pen

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post
    I definitely am a pocket pen guy, and the XS is a very attractive option. I have a Piuma Pocket Ti, and i like the engineering of it. I don't particularly like the style of pen which has an exposed 'o' ring when closed (like the Ohto Tasche, Moonman N1, and now Tom's Studio etc etc) as they can easily split or fall off even in quite light use. Sure, replacements are dirt cheap, and a doddle to fit, but i don't expect to have to carry round spares for ongoing maintenance.
    Last edited by marynero; October 20th, 2023 at 05:38 PM.