Thread: Saving boxes

Thanks

Default Saving boxes

Do you save boxes that your pens came in? I save ones from my more pricey pens and now am overwhelmed with all these boxes. Not to mention the amount of space they take up.

I'm wondering if it really ads any value to have the box for the pen if I sell them. Do I need to save those boxes?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Saving boxes

I save the presentation boxes of the pricey or vintage pens I have. They in turn are boxed and packed away.

Did I mention I have a shed to store things?

Thanks

I does add value if you re-sell them. You can command a higher price and with comparable pens on the market, the one with all papers and boxes will move quicker. This logic is general and does not only apply to pens.

So I keep them all. Have a big plastic container for it. But I also keep the boxes the ink comes in…with Taccia Ukiyo-e inks simply because the boxes look great…with the others because I suffer from OCB…above is just my justification for the cognitive dissonance that results from it…

Thanks
    Thanked 10,377 Times in 3,982 Posts

There are some pen brands that benefit greatly from having their boxes when they are sold. For example some pen users won't buy Montblanc pens on the second hand market without their original boxes, and some boxes are specifically designed around the original pen they contain like Omas, Aurora and other more expensive brands. It's always worth keeping those boxes.

Mine are kept in a large crate but I can understand if some users have little or no storage space for them. Perhaps only keep those that contained your most expensive pens.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

I keep all my boxes because I've watched way too much Antiques Roadshow. Items with original boxes command a premium according to the experts on the show. I assume that applies to fountain pens as well. Of course, trying to find the original box (I have them packed about 100 per plastic storage tub) is another question altogether. It probably doesn't make sense to keep any boxes other than super fancy presentation boxes or those that go with antique pens, but I keep them all.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,816 Times in 1,426 Posts

I keep them all, modern ones and of course the vintage ones.

(...and I am happy that there were people in the past who did the same)

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 14th, 2021), Chrissy (November 14th, 2021), fountainpenkid (November 14th, 2021), markiv (November 14th, 2021), mizgeorge (November 14th, 2021), Robert (November 14th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (November 15th, 2021), TFarnon (November 14th, 2021), Yazeh (November 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

I always appreciate an unregarded vintage pen in its original box. One way to assure that for the future is to keep all current packaging. Of course I'm also rationalizing my hoarding tendencies ...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

You will have to decide whether resale value of your pens is important, but when you are faced with renting a storage facility for your boxes, it's time to cull.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

TFarnon (November 15th, 2021)