Thread: The weather and the pen

Thanks

Default The weather and the pen

I was set to try seeing how many times I could write The Quick Brown Fox... within the area of a penny (see this thread) but... the Esterbrook J (with a remarkably fine 9128 nib) that should be up to the task is not flowing for love or money this morning. It ought not be out of ink, I'd just filled it a couple days ago and had only written all of half a page of notes with it since. So out of curiosity I pulled another pen out of the bag, this one a demonstrator and obviously full -- also nothing...

On the other hand, my disturbingly reliable Nemosine Singularity is having no problems this morning.

It's unusually cool and rainy here for this time of year. Could that have anything to do with it? I can't think of any better reason, since I haven't been treating my pens in any unusual ways or experimenting with new inks.

Thanks

Default Re: The weather and the pen

Have you recently written on coated paper with both pens?

I find some papers occasionally leave a "residue?" on the nib which restricts ink flow for a short while.

Thanks

Default Re: The weather and the pen

Um... cold enough to freeze?

if you think your pens are cold, put them in a pocket to warm them up. They should warm up in your hand, even. If they write, well then maybe it was the cold. Watch out you don't warm them up so much those vintage pens burp a blot of ink.

Assuming of course your Esterbrook J always does flow otherwise.