Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Freedom to Vote Act

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    The "real ID" can be a pain in the butt, and I never saw the need for it - or the constitutional authority for the federal government to mandate it. I'm not positive that "real ID" is required to vote though. Most States simply require a government issued ID, and are relatively liberal on what constitutes that. I'm content with over 90% saturation, and I don't think it's possible to reach perfection (100%).
    I am just saying it should be easy and not constitute an undue burden on anyone. If you can be summonded to jury duty, they know who you are and where you live.
    Indeed, it is time for all voting to have a remote digital option and/or mail in. I mailed in again this year because having to work that Tuesday was going to make my voting in person a real burden.

    Election day should be a holiday, additionally.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 573 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Ever heard of food islands? It’s a true phenomenon. We take so much for granted and judge folks for what we think is easy.

  3. #23
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    908
    Thanked 891 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    I see that claim made (prohibiting/discouraging voting), but I don't see the evidence for it.
    Be your own tenth man.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 573 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Could your lack of “seeing “ be a lack of exposure? Asking for a friend.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    652
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 256 Times in 195 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Indeed, it is time for all voting to have a remote digital option and/or mail in. I mailed in again this year because having to work that Tuesday was going to make my voting in person a real burden.

    Election day should be a holiday, additionally.
    I disagree that a remote digital option is necessary. There are statistics out there is that only 58-72% of rural areas have access to reliable high speed internet. Similarly, there are statistics that inner city does not have high percentage of reliable high speed internet.
    I don't see a difference between being told I have to jump through all kinds of hoops, including time off from work, for one, two, or three shots and going to vote in person. If Election Day is a national holiday voters wouldn't be working so no lost time. And an election day is preferable to an election season, spread out over a number of days or weeks.

  6. #26
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    908
    Thanked 891 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Could your lack of “seeing “ be a lack of exposure? Asking for a friend.
    Perhaps. Could you point me to the data someone posted in this thread?

    --edit--

    RE: "asking for a friend". Chuck, do you use that sort of vernacular when sitting around enjoying a conversation, pipe and IPA? On the surface it appears to be identical to your other, less "conversational" type posts. We can do either, your choice. I have a folder full of memes at the ready.
    Last edited by dneal; November 23rd, 2021 at 04:00 PM.
    Be your own tenth man.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Indeed, it is time for all voting to have a remote digital option and/or mail in. I mailed in again this year because having to work that Tuesday was going to make my voting in person a real burden.

    Election day should be a holiday, additionally.
    I disagree that a remote digital option is necessary. There are statistics out there is that only 58-72% of rural areas have access to reliable high speed internet. Similarly, there are statistics that inner city does not have high percentage of reliable high speed internet.

    Laborers and other persons with additional burdens are found everywhere. Providing the "option" is another way of reducing the burden (obstacles, difficulties) for those people (note that I did not say *all*) of them.

    And my suggestion of a holiday was to reduce the burden (impediment of work schedule) for even more persons. I am just trying to increase participation rather than the opposite. All that worry in 2020 about mail-in fraud was unfounded and unbased on any significant statistics of fraud.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Could your lack of “seeing “ be a lack of exposure? Asking for a friend.
    Perhaps. Could you point me to the data someone posted in this thread?

    )
    Where I live, if you fact-check someone's chat at a bar, you buy the round.

  9. #29
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,119
    Thanks
    908
    Thanked 891 Times in 478 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Could your lack of “seeing “ be a lack of exposure? Asking for a friend.
    Perhaps. Could you point me to the data someone posted in this thread?

    )
    Where I live, if you fact-check someone's chat at a bar, you buy the round.
    Ooooh, zing!

    *yawn*

    Where I live, you put up or shut up.
    Be your own tenth man.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,314
    Thanks
    1,193
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    I was just kidding, dneal, about all the invites to bar stuff

    no "zing" intended

    I'll bow out of this thread, too. You guys can continue it as you please.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanks
    390
    Thanked 573 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Freedom to Vote Act

    yawn as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •