Thread: third-party inks will ruin your pen. is that so?

Thanks

Default third-party inks will ruin your pen. is that so?

I recently called Chartpack in Ma. and after the routine interview they questioned me for using Noodler's or Private Reserve Inks. they said that those inks will ruin my Pelikans. I honestly doubt it, but, have you had any destructive experience in your pens after using third-party inks??

Thanks

Hi cmalanis!

It's a subject that rears its (ugly) head from time to time.

I've never seen any actual proof to the claim(s).

Did Chartpack happen to mention "how" these inks would ruin your Pelikans? Are they claiming that the inks are somehow corrosive? Or are they worried that the highly saturated inks might stain the pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I've seen pictures of Pelikan feeds that looked like they had been dipped in acid; just completely melted. This was with one certain ink and a specific model of Pelikan. Unfortunately I can't remember either. This was also about a year ago so things may have changed since then. Whatever you do, make sure you research your ink if you have any hesitations about using it.

Thanks

With all due respect to Chartpack, they are the folks who also told me that I would ruin the nib of a Pelikan Style if I tried to remove it. It just slides off the nib

I think representatives are told to toe "the company line" (e.g. that it is best to use their ink in their pens) by giving answers like that.

Thanks

There's an interesting article on Noodler's site about how their inks are (mostly) pH-neutral (and therefore perfectly safe), and that it's bunk when others try to arm-twist you into buying only their special ink. As a person with a Chemistry degree, I found nothing to alarm me, and it all made perfect sense. I use Noodler's ink in my twsbi. It's great stuff.

Sounds like the old, "You should only use the dealer-provided oil filters, air filters, etc. on your car, and it's wrong to buy the stuff from your local shop," tactic.

Thanks

I am very careful about using highly saturated inks in my more expensive piston fillers (i.e Pelikan M6XX & M800 pens) for them I tend to use the rule of thumb that I will only use inks made be companies that sell 'expensive' piston fillers, the except to that rule is Diamine inks but I still won't use their reds, oranges, purples etc in my Pelikans. My Noodler's BSB only gets used in my C/C pens where I don't care if there is a chance of slight staining. My fountain pen filemaker pro database handles what pen vs ink combinations are banned etc.

Thanks

I think its poppycock. I'd watch out for the staining ones like bay state blue... I dedicate a pen to that... others have had no problem. I think its pretty bad that the manufacturer would resort to this so they don't have to honor the warranty (only three years in pelikans case). I was told this by chartpak as well along with basic pen hygiene instructions... I had to bite my tongue...if all I could use is pelikan ink I would stop using fountain pens...

Remember to flush well especially before changing ink or storage and avoid letting ink dry in the pens and you'll be fine.

Thanks

I have had PR Tanzanite stain a M205 demo. Barrel coating came out with JB pen flush but still some between the piston rings (on barrel, piston retracted position) and a bit up in the section where there's a spot that I think would trap any ink.
    I'm OK with this, and it _is_ a demo so I didn't expect it to stay residue free for long anyway.

Some inks can leave inside-barrel coatings of color. Doesn't hurt anything far as I know, and you'll have to decide if it's "damage" in your book. Usually but not always it's removable depending. With a TWSBI, for example, I can remove the piston and section for mechanical (q tip) cleaning.