Thread: Carts for Platinums??

Thanks

Default Carts for Platinums??

In a recent eBay purchase I got four pens - one Platinum pocket pens, two look-alikes for it and one Hero something.

One of the Platinums came with a cart in it, which I washed out and refilled. The two look-alikes did not have carts, so I looked and figured I could try a Parker Cartridge - which did not work - it was a used cartridge, but just did not seem to fit.

Is there any other cartridge out there which can somehow be convinced to sit and play pretty in a Platinum brand pen? If not, can anyone tell me a good mail order source for these things? Not every place seems to carry them. And then, of course, when I am paying postage I am tempted to, you know, make it really worth while...

Thanks in advance for any help I get here...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Carts for Platinums??

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    Is there any other cartridge out there which can somehow be convinced to sit and play pretty in a Platinum brand pen? If not, can anyone tell me a good mail order source for these things? Not every place seems to carry them. And then, of course, when I am paying postage I am tempted to, you know, make it really worth while...

I'm pretty certain Amazon is an easy go-to, but there are any number of online retailers. It begs the question, though, on a forum that has an international membership: where are you located? If postage/shipping cost is an issue, it makes no sense for me to recommend a US vendor if you are in Sri Lanka or Peru.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,129 Posts

You might also consider Platinum's cartridge adapter, which allows their pens to accept standard international cartridges.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 24th, 2021), Lithium466 (October 7th, 2023), scrivelry (November 24th, 2021), Yazeh (November 24th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I asked the same question after I was given a '70s Platinum pocket pen. I was sent a couple more old cartridges as a result (they have what looks like a ball bearing in the section end), but I continue to refill the original cartridge via a syringe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

I'm pretty certain Amazon is an easy go-to, but there are any number of online retailers. It begs the question, though, on a forum that has an international membership: where are you located? If postage/shipping cost is an issue, it makes no sense for me to recommend a US vendor if you are in Sri Lanka or Peru.
    You are correct, and I was just not thinking. I live in that funny shaped state between New Jersey and Connecticut, but not in the big city, which I do not get to visit that often. (So I can't just try to find one, say, on my lunch hour. Which would be cool. But I can't have everything...)

Thanks

This is brilliant. Do you know where I can buy one?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I asked the same question after I was given a '70s Platinum pocket pen. I was sent a couple more old cartridges as a result (they have what looks like a ball bearing in the section end), but I continue to refill the original cartridge via a syringe.
    I have no problem with the idea of re-filling carts, but I would like to have at least one for each pen. I'm looking forward to trying out the look-alikes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Last edited by junglejim; November 24th, 2021 at 08:05 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

scrivelry (November 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

This is brilliant. Do you know where I can buy one?
    You'll see a number of links that JungleJim left, so check those. Caveat, though: I looked at JetPens earlier, and they are out-of-stock on the adapter.

Beyond that, though - remember, Google can be your friend. All of these items can be found in seconds with a search.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

And then looking at junglejim's link to an adapter on nibs.com, this converter for Platinum pens shows up: https://www.nibs.com/accessory/platinumnakaya-converter

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I have no problem with the idea of re-filling carts, but I would like to have at least one for each pen. I'm looking forward to trying out the look-alikes.
    I can send you some if you don't mind black.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

In a recent eBay purchase I got four pens - one Platinum pocket pens, two look-alikes for it and one Hero something.

One of the Platinums came with a cart in it, which I washed out and refilled. The two look-alikes did not have carts, so I looked and figured I could try a Parker Cartridge - which did not work - it was a used cartridge, but just did not seem to fit.

Years ago, I got some vintage Platinums from Speerbob on ebay. They came with an adapter that would take international cartridges. It just plugged right in.

Just a thought...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dougc For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks to kind members here, I now have an adapter and some carts.

Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by the generosity of fountain pen people. This has been an especially gracious week. Y'all are gonna restore my faith in humanity if you don't watch it!!!