Thread: Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Cap

Thanks

Default Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Cap

I simply can't consistently get the cap on my Franklin-Christoph Model 20 to securely close! It doesn't have cracks or anything like that. I read somewhere that it's a "slip cap" rather than a "snap cap," which makes sense. I just don't understand why F-C designed it that way. I can't tell when it's actually closed. There have been a lot of times when I thought it was but then the pen just kind of falls off the cap, if that makes sense. Thankfully the pen is sturdy and doesn't get hurt, and it's never landed nib down. But it feels like it's only a matter of time until the nib gets hurt.

Could anyone please explain to me how to know when it's secure? Do I just need to try to open it again each time to see if there's resistance?

This may seem so basic, but I'm actually at my wit's end with using this pen because of this.
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Cap

I've had an M20 for about 6 months and I've never, ever had an issue with it. As you slide a slip cap in place, you should feel it progressively getting tighter. If you believe that the cap is not going on tight enough and that it might fall off the pen, just place it on a littler firmer, maybe with a bit of clock-wise twist. when removing, also use a clockwise twist to avoid unscrewing the section (if the cap is gripping tightly).

I have a good number of vintage pens and I'm not unused to friction/slip cap pens from nearly 100 years ago. But, honestly speaking, I'd give back my other FC pens if they would trade them for M20 models, as I really like the sice and balance. I hope your pen has no flaws and with a little experimentation, you'll find that it works as intended.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Thanks! I will keep this in mind and try it from now on when I use the pen. I must just be stopping too early before I feel enough resistance.
    Another Pen Geek!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I've had an M20 for about 6 months and I've never, ever had an issue with it. As you slide a slip cap in place, you should feel it progressively getting tighter. If you believe that the cap is not going on tight enough and that it might fall off the pen, just place it on a littler firmer, maybe with a bit of clock-wise twist. when removing, also use a clockwise twist to avoid unscrewing the section (if the cap is gripping tightly).

I have a good number of vintage pens and I'm not unused to friction/slip cap pens from nearly 100 years ago. But, honestly speaking, I'd give back my other FC pens if they would trade them for M20 models, as I really like the sice and balance. I hope your pen has no flaws and with a little experimentation, you'll find that it works as intended.
    If you want another M20, I am willing to sell mine. Trying to cut down on my collection anyway.
    Another Pen Geek!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PenInvestigations View Post
    If you want another M20, I am willing to sell mine. Trying to cut down on my collection anyway.
    That is kind of you. I'll take the rest to PM as to not bother the thread.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Jon is trying to as well.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 26th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Jon is trying to as well.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I've had a 20 for a goodly while now. Cap goes on securely every time, but I usually make sure I am a little more alert when doing so to make it happen. My only problem is that among my small collection of mostly screw-cap pens I forget that this one doesn't screw on and occasionally try to screw it off!

Mode 20 is my favourite too, but I'd be more interested in adding another if it is a custom colour.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I've had a 20 for a goodly while now. Cap goes on securely every time, but I usually make sure I am a little more alert when doing so to make it happen. My only problem is that among my small collection of mostly screw-cap pens I forget that this one doesn't screw on and occasionally try to screw it off!

Mode 20 is my favourite too, but I'd be more interested in adding another if it is a custom colour.
    Just the standard Antique Green, I'm afraid.

And yes, the problem very much so appears to be user error. While it's still in my collection, I'll be more alert while capping it
    Another Pen Geek!