Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We have a Civil Discussion about Abortion?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,266 Posts

Default Re: Can We have a Civil Discussion about Abortion?

Local VA news, blah blah blah. The whole point is that people of the States elect and make laws for their State. That applies to liberals as well as conservatives.

That is the core of the ruling from the SC. We're watching the people work it out.

You see it through red and blue frames, and political drama; because "Trump".
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,417 Posts

Let's be clear about this: there has been a political and legal movement for 50 years, based mostly in religious conservative and evangelical circles, to overturn Roe (now successful) and criminalize abortion (all elective abortion, at least) nationally. This has been written about extensively, and many recent and current political influencers and even current legislators have said so publically or in writings, etc. Part of this movement's goals succeeded with the Trump SC appointees flipping the vote and overturning Roe.

The pro-abortion forces tapping into the actual will (majority) of the citizenry on the topic have regrouped and are fighting back and regaining some ground.

Thanks

Yes. That movement was successful in overturning Roe. Leftists can also thank their penchant for going too far. Tales of scrambling brains and dismembering during partial birth abortions.

Yes, now the will of the majority of each of those 50 States can be enacted. That's what I said in post #761.

You think this is a Democrat win, because your narrative tells you so.

Thanks

I recognize this man:

"I am asking why prenatal persons are not justifiable homicides while, say, enemies in war are justifiable? Why can we shoot an intruder in our home, but not terminate an early pregnancy?" (emphasis added)

Babylon Bee might not have been wrong, satirizing Planned Parenthood as calling the unborn "womb colonizers."

Ohio demonstrates that hysteria from the pro-abortion proponents that all abortions would be outlawed following Dobbs was either mistaken, or a calculated political motto, intended to rally the troops. Dobbs was never going to change those hearts. Dobbs removed a federal club used against pro-lifers, and returned the issue to the states. Votes for abortion, and abortions, are not surprising. I am thankful for each abortion avoided, each baby born.

The fight for life will go on, one mother at a time.

By the way, notice you didn't provide a source for your Speaker Johnson reference: did you find one? Snopes didn't.

Thanks

Rick Santorum on Newsmax, re the victories in Ohio on abortion rights and marijuana legalization: "Pure democracies are not the way to run a country." Good to know. We'll try to remember that if we ever actually encounter one anywhere on the planet.

Poor Rick. Whining about the citizens of a state asserting their preference for state constitutional rights and law within the locality of their own state. And without all the political baggage of having to run for elections, kowtow of special interests, adhere to the party line for future favors, become mired in gridlock, etc. Shucks, the people used a constitutional process (not pure democracy) to get some things done that they wanted that their legislatures weren't doing for them. Damn, those people! People are what make democracy suck!

Maine had 8 referendums on our ballots yesterday. Bam! They did not all pass, and my votes did not all align with the outcomes from the general population. That's the way the cookie crumbles, Rick!

Wait...maybe I can claim ballot fraud concerning the votes that I don't agree with...yeah, that's the ticket. Maybe even storm my local town hall or the state capitol building, wack a few police heads, trash some rooms, spray some mace around in faces, take a few selfies, and go "proudly" to jail as a "political prisoner." Seems to work for other losers.

edited to add: I'm seeing that Texas had 14(!) initiatives/referenda on their ballot. Democracy run amok, eh, Rick? If legislatures won't be more responsive to the general will of their constituencies, then (in 26 states), the citizens will try to get it done themselves.
    Last edited by TSherbs; November 9th, 2023 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks

TS, dont think Im not grateful that you now agree that the unborn are pre-natal persons.. I am.

My hope is that whatever makes you liken them to opposing armies and criminals, to be shot and killed, softens and changes.

Thanks

Justice Department weighs in against Alabama AG threats:

https://apnews.com/article/alabama-a...e6fd34542139e2

Thanks

Republicans in Ohio vow to keep the court out of jurisdiction over legal disputes over new Constitutional protection of abortion:

https://apnews.com/article/ohio-abor...2f6aaf4ea1a323

Thanks

For me, I understand that a person wants to have say over their body. This has occurred often, I see a person who are really in a bad place in their lives and yet I remember that whatever they are, that is the only life they will ever have. When I think of abortion, I cannot help but think that that unborn person will never have an opportunity to have any sort of life. For me, making a judgement that they don't have to be considered at all is not something I personally can live with. YMMV.
    He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Thanks

TSherbs is all about democracy until the vote doesn't go his way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

724Seney (November 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Missouri State Supreme Court rejects AG's language on abortion ballot question:

https://apnews.com/article/missouri-...bbb30f6cdf9824

He'll have to try again.

Thanks

Did the Missouri Supreme Court specifically address the language of the ballot question?

Thanks

In Nevada, judge strikes down abortion ballot language from advocacy group: over broad, unfunded mandate, etc....

https://news.yahoo.com/nevada-judge-...010603893.html

They will have to try again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Missouri State Supreme Court rejects AG's language on abortion ballot question:

https://apnews.com/article/missouri-...bbb30f6cdf9824

He'll have to try again.
    You should read past headlines.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

kazoolaw (November 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

Tuberville gives in, 400+ military nominees approved. Eleven more to go.

I know these people, you know, need to be promoted," he said last week.
    Another no shit moment.

And he got what out of this stunt? Nothing? Attention? Ego strokes? Righteous self-affirmation? Blessings from a non-existant deity?
    Last edited by TSherbs; December 5th, 2023 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks

Someone has suggested the real reason for Tuberville's actions is to save them for Trump.

From yesterday's HCR post.
    "Still, Tuberville retained holds on 11 officers of the most senior rank. According to congressional reporter for Punchbowl News Andrew Desiderio, the positions left vacant are commander of Pacific Air Forces, commander of U.S. Pacific Fleet, Air Component Command for the United States Indo-Pacific Command, commander for Air Combat Command, the head of the Navys Nuclear Propulsion Program, the head of Northern Command (which defends the United States and coordinates defenses with Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas), the head of the U.S. Cyber Command, vice chief of staff of the Army, vice chief of staff of the Air Force, vice chief of Space Operations, and vice chief of Naval Operations. "
    He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Tuberville gives in, 400+ military nominees approved. Eleven more to go.

I know these people, you know, need to be promoted," he said last week.
    Another no shit moment.

And he got what out of this stunt? Nothing? Attention? Ego strokes? Righteous self-affirmation? Blessings from a non-existant deity?
    The thanks of this post-natal person on behalf of pre-natal persons everywhere. Publicizing the reach/depths of the death culture of abortion. Speaking for those who cannot speak. May God, indeed, bless him.

Thanks

Texas mother granted abortion proceedure for fetus with Trisomy-18: https://abcnews.go.com/US/hearing-un...y?id=105455849

Several other suits pending in Texas over restrictions there.

Thanks

As someone who is pro life, I agree.

Thanks

Texas AG Paxton fights back with threats of possible prison time and fines for any Texan doctors or hospital who perform any abortions under judicial stays.

He's a national treasure. The GOP in Texas better watch out for possible repercussions in future state-wide elections. Well, that is unless they have already driven out all the moderate women and young people by then who want more autonomy over their health care decisions and reproductive rights.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-ag-th...paxton-1850695