Thread: Chipped Pen Cap

Thanks

Default Chipped Pen Cap

Last week I scored a beautiful Moore Pen Co. model L96 (aka Tuscan) at a local antique mall. Unfortunately during the cleaning process it slipped and despite some pretty impressive juggling, hit the floor sending a decent sized chip and totally disappearing (I still haven't been able to find it). So does anyone know of any material I can use to try and fix this? I've heard of people using super glue and other similar things to fill in cracks or holes, but this is on the free edge of a cap.

I still haven't been able to figure out how to upload pictures onto here through my desktop, so I'll add them from my phone by tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Chipped Pen Cap

You punk - a big 96 Tuscan! I think the most difficult thing is... is this a hard rubber (ebonite) pen, or is it a celluloid? If the former, that is near impossible, as HR doesn't accommodate glues and solvents. Honestly, if you value the pen I'd consider consulting with someone like Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens to see if he might be able to fix the thing. Keep looking for that chip, too. Best of luck.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

spencerwilli (November 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Find that piece!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    You punk - a big 96 Tuscan! I think the most difficult thing is... is this a hard rubber (ebonite) pen, or is it a celluloid? If the former, that is near impossible, as HR doesn't accommodate glues and solvents. Honestly, if you value the pen I'd consider consulting with someone like Ron Zorn of Main Street Pens to see if he might be able to fix the thing. Keep looking for that chip, too. Best of luck.
    Any idea what he’d charge? I bought it with intentions of refurbishing it and selling it, so I don’t want to be too upside down

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spencerwilli View Post
    Any idea what he’d charge? I bought it with intentions of refurbishing it and selling it, so I don’t want to be too upside down
    Well, I won't get involved in that. Good luck.

And I just saw the photo and cried a little. Moores are my specialty collection, and that one is really hard to come by. Now I really hope you find that piece. Really.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

What would you say the value is as is vs restored? I also have another one I think is a L92 BCHR if youre interested.

Thanks

What would you say the value is as is vs restored? I also have another one I think is a L92 BCHR if youre interested.
    Too many variables - condition, mostly. All I can say is that the value did, unfortunately, take a pretty big hit with that cap lip accident, and you'll have to disclose any repair if/when you go to sell it. It would take me some deeper digging to find one of those pens that last sold. Thanks on the 92, I do have those.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

With a chip like that it is mist likely hard rubber. If so, finding the chunk isn’t really going to help. Even if celluloid it would be a tall order to hide that weld in such a prominent place and it would likely yield to an over zealous poster.

Your best bet is to find a matching cap to harvest some material and graft on a new lip and hide the seam under the band. An advanced repair and you will need a hood lathe and a correct holder.

Sadly I’ve seen to many caps die in the cleaning process. I got in the habit of asking how the cap broke. Uually it is over zealous scrubbing with a bottle brush that pops off a chunk. Another common one is cramming wads of paper towel into the cap and twisting.

If it is hard rubber and you find a fix…I have a Giant of a cap that has a similar problem.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I still haven't been able to figure out how to upload pictures onto here through my desktop, so I'll add them from my phone by tonight.
    Sadly I can't offer any assistance with repairing the cap other than to say if it can be done then agree that Ron is the man who can do it.

However adding images from a desktop is really simple and straightforward. Have a read under FAQ tab ^^^ at Reading & Posting Messages > Images and Attachments.

Click on Edit Post at the bottom of your original post, then scroll down a little to the Manage Attachments box and click on Add Files to upload any image that is on your desktop then at the bottom of the File Upload Manager box click Insert Inline to add it to your post.
    All of your attachments will be kept in your profile settings for future use and the most recent can be seen in the File Upload Manager box.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 1st, 2021 at 01:57 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank to everyone for your responses. Looks like Im SOL on this one

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Farmboy described the repair of a chipped hard rubber pen cap above. You only need the matching material from either a donor cap or a rod. Ron Zorn and Rick Horne have performed satisfactory hard rubber repairs for me, and they might even have the material in their parts inventory. I would also ask Rob Lott if he has a cap. American Art Plastics (Mark Hoover and David Nishimura) is one source of hard rubber rods.
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 3rd, 2021 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Farmboy described the repair of a chipped hard rubber pen cap above. You only need the matching material from either a donor cap or a rod. Ron Zorn and Rick Horne have performed satisfactory hard rubber repairs for me, and they might even have the material in their parts inventory. I would also ask Rob Lott if he has a cap. American Art Plastics (Mark Hoover and David Nishimura) is one source of hard rubber rods.
    Thanks