Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Default Re: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    So I have to reveal my ignorance here, are these inks future Diamine products which will be available from their usual distributors?
    We're expecting them to be released as special Red Edition bottles like the Blue Edition inks were.
    Thank you, Chrissy for shedding some light into my ink-norance (haha).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 11th, 2021), DrPenfection (December 11th, 2021), Yazeh (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 697 Posts

According to Diamine: Storm contains a combination of gold and silver shimmer so you're both right
    I had to ask to ensure I got all of the shimmer colours right. This is a copy of the list I was sent:

The shimmers are listed below
    Garland - Blue Shimmer
    Tempest - Gold Shimmer
    Winter Spice - Blue Shimmer
    Storm - Combination of Gold & Silver Shimmer
    Party Time - Blue Shimmer
    Stargazer - Green Shimmer
    Vintage Copper - Gold Shimmer
    Subzero - Green Shimmer
    Pink Ice - Red & Silver Shimmer
    All The Best - Blue Shimmer
    Thank you so much for this, Chrissy. It really clears up some confusion for me. And I promise that I didn't look past Party Time (I don't want to spoil my surprises in days to come).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 12th, 2021), damfino (December 17th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 11: PARTY TIME!!!!!!!

The day started slowly. I stumbled out of bed, got dressed and took the dogs out. After giving them breakfast and getting a cup of coffee for myself, I climbed the stairs to my office. I wearily reached for my Diamine Inkvent Calendar box, opened door no. 11, and a small bottle of ink popped out of its place and pink balloons filled my office and confetti fell from the ceiling! Well. . . , not really, but that is what it felt like when I opened today's ink . . . Party Time!

Party Time is a bright, happy magenta with blue shimmer.

Here is the ink swatch:

IMG_7187 swatch.jpg

After swabbing the ink, I loaded into my Lamy Safari - Dark Lilac with medium broad nib and began writing with it in my Nanami Seven Seas journal with 52 gsm Tomoe River paper. My tiredness seemed to lift as I wrote with this ink.

Here it is on Tomoe River paper:

IMG_7186 TR JOURNAL.jpg

Shading, sheen, shimmer, haloing and eye searing color. This ink has it all!

Here it is on Fabriano Ecoqua paper:

IMG_7172 FABRIANO.jpg

IMG_7176 FAB CLOSE UP.jpg

Of all the paper that I tried this ink, the shimmer and slight gold sheen were evident.

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad:

IMG_7173 RHODIA.jpg

IMG_7171 Rhodia writing.jpg

As I saw with Storm, this ink seems to be made for Tomoe River and Cosmo Air Light papers where the shading, sheen and shimmer are clearly evident.

The ink dries moderately quickly - about 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. After writing with the ink all day, I really like it. Like the other Diamine inks, there is no smearing and the shimmer does not rub off. The ink is very well behaved and I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the Cambridge notebook paper. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on bright white paper, which really shows the fun side of this ink.

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 14th, 2021), damfino (December 14th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 14th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 20th, 2021), Yazeh (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 12 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: STARGAZER

I was up early, finished packing my briefcase and my bag, and I was headed out the door for a long drive. I was trying to hurry so that I would leave before the approaching snow storm hit. But, I had a few other things to finish up, and was waiting for a phone call from a client. So I took a few minutes to get a cup of coffee and open up door no. 12 of my Diamine Inkvent Calendar . It appeared to be a blue ink called Stargazer.

As I found when I made my ink swatch, this is no ordinary blue ink. It is a dark blue-black with a strong teal undertone, a heavy burgundy sheen and blue-green shimmer. Whew! What a combination!

Here is the ink swatch:

IMG_7188 swatch.jpg

After swabbing the ink, I loaded into my Faber Castell Loom with medium nib and began writing with it in my Nanami Seven Seas journal with 52 gsm Tomoe River paper. What a fascinating ink!

IMG_7185 TR JOURNAL.jpg

I was surprised that it was such a dark ink. And the sheen seemed overwhelming.

IMG_7172 FABRIANO.jpg
    IMG_7176 FAB CLOSE UP.jpg

And here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7173 RHODIA.jpg
    IMG_7171 RHODIA WRITING.jpg

This ink has a lot going on with it - almost too much in my humble opinion. But I was very surprised at how quickly it dried, even on Tomoe River paper - about 20-25s. After writing with the ink all day, I found that, while not my favorite of the Inkvent inks, Stargazer has its own personality. Like the other Diamine inks, there is no smearing and the shimmer does not rub off. The ink is very well behaved and I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the Cambridge notebook paper. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper. It did seem a bit sluggish as I wrote with it on Rhodia paper, and was very sluggish on card stock. But other than that, it is a very nice ink.

I prefer the look of this ink on off-white or ivory paper. It seems almost abrasive on bright white paper.

Oh, and I didn't make it out in time to beat the snow storm, so I am stuck at home for a couple more days until the storm passes by. It gives me more time to play with my inks!

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 14th, 2021), damfino (December 14th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 14th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 14th, 2021), Yazeh (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 13 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: RUBY BLUES

Today's lovely Inkvent Calendar ink is Ruby Blues. The name appropriately gives the impression of a blue ink with a ruby red sheen, and that is what this ink is.

After preparing an ink swatch, I loaded the ink into my Lamy Al-Star with fine nib.

IMG_7184 tr JOURNAL.jpg

The red sheen seems very well distributed throughout.

Here it is on Rhodia:

IMG_7182 RHODIA.jpg

IMG_7183 RHODIA WRITING.jpg

The writing on Fabriano Ecoqua paper and Cambridge notebook paper were about the same as on Rhodia. There is some shading but the strong red sheen shows through and almost dominates the ink.

Since this seems to be a somewhat common ink color - a bright blue with strong red sheen - here are a couple of other inks that are similar in color:

IMG_7181.jpg

As with the other Inkvent inks, the dries relatively quickly - about 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. After writing with the ink all day, I do like the ink, but it isn't really different enough from others that I have. But, it is well behaved, with no feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on bright white paper.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 14th, 2021), damfino (December 14th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 14th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 14th, 2021), Yazeh (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Glad Party time lifted your spirits. I have to admit, while I don't like sheening ink, I find the big blob of Stargazer delightful, reminds me of tarnished copper.

Thanks

BIRDS SCAN (2).jpg

"Hey, Fred, what is she doin'?"

"I think she is trying to draw us, Chester."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Maybe she thinks its funny that we are out here freezing our tails off in the snow."

"I told you we should have followed the advice of that bear we saw last month, and hibernate."

"Yeah, Chester, but then we wouldn't be around for Christmas and those people at Diamine wouldn't have named an ink after us".

This terrible sketch was made using Day 14 - Red Robin, Day 3 - Ash, Day 6 - Winter Spice and Day 7 - Candle Light.

DAY 14 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: RED ROBIN

Just like my little friends who were sitting out in the cold, today's ink is Diamine's Red Robin.

Now I am very fortunate to live on the western side of the North American continent. This is because I get to see everyone else's reviews on the Inkvent inks early in the day. And I get to see what they think of the ink. Some think it is an orange and others think the ink is red. Hmmm . . .

So, here is my opinion of Red Robin. It is a rusty red that does look a great deal like a robin's red breast (Chester and Fred agree). The ink is a standard ink, but still has a little bit of a brown sheen to it, but no shimmer.

IMG_7197 SWAB.jpg

I used my glass dip pen and a palette knife to make my swatch, and also to do the writing samples.

Here is the ink on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7196 fABRIANO.jpg

You can begin to see the brown sheen develop. But on all the samples, the ink shaded nicely and in some instances produced some haloing (darkening of the ink at the edges).

But I especially liked the ink when I wrote in my journal this morning which has 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

IMG_7198 TR.jpg

And here is a close up showing that nice brown sheen.

IMG_7199 TR CLOSE UP.jpg

Red Robin seemed a bit drier than the other Inkvent calendars, and it took just a little longer to dry - about 30 seconds on TR paper.

Overall, it is a nice ink with some nice shading, and it is well behaved. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the Cambridge notebook paper. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on off-white or ivory paper.

So, until tomorrow . . .

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 15th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 15th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 15th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 15th, 2021), Yazeh (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Thanks Dr. for presenting all these inks, I really like this thread, good stuff 👍

And just for the notes, this sketch isn’t terrible at all, really funny story!
    You should start posting more in the Art section 😃

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 15th, 2021), Yazeh (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Cute "robins" Dr. P..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post

So, until tomorrow . . .
    Are your papers white or cream or are they darker than cream? Some of these inks tend to look a bit darker than when I write with them.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

So, until tomorrow . . .
    Are your papers white or cream or are they darker than cream? Some of these inks tend to look a bit darker than when I write with them.
    The Rhodia Dot Pad is white, the Fabriano and Tomoe River are off-white or cream. I am not reprocessing the photos to adjust for the paper color since it can distort the color of the ink and I am just taking the photos under LED lighting. Likely I need to be more diligent at using my DLSR to photograph the inks under the right lighting and then reprocessing the photos for color correctness. But at present, I am not able to do that due to time constraints with work and the holidays.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

The Rhodia Dot Pad is white, the Fabriano and Tomoe River are off-white or cream. I am not reprocessing the photos to adjust for the paper color since it can distort the color of the ink and I am just taking the photos under LED lighting. Likely I need to be more diligent at using my DLSR to photograph the inks under the right lighting and then reprocessing the photos for color correctness. But at present, I am not able to do that due to time constraints with work and the holidays.
    Not a problem at all. I was just wishing my sample of Red Robin looked exactly like yours LOL
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Not a problem at all. I was just wishing my sample of Red Robin looked exactly like yours LOL
    Here is Red Robin taken in daylight - the Rhodia Dot Pad is whiter.

IMG_7200.jpg

and here is Red Robin on the cream colored Fabriano Ecoqua paper taken in daylight:

IMG_7201.jpg

Red Robin looks very similar on Tomoe River as it does on Fabriano paper.

I did not color correct or process these at all - just uploaded them.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 16th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 16th, 2021), Yazeh (December 16th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 15 OF THE DIAMINE INK CALENDAR: NIGHT SHADE

Night Shade is a standard ink, but it is a remarkable ink. As I write with this ink, it starts off an undersaturated tealish color. As it dries, I begin to see pinks, purples and blues emerge. The final color is a beautiful light bluish/purple with a slight dusting of grey all the way to deep purple in areas of heavy application.

Here is the ink written on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7200 RHODIA.jpg

This is written with a Leonardo Momento Zero with stub nib.

Here it is on Fabriano Ecoqua paper - a cream colored paper:

IMG_7204 FAB.jpg

As I wrote with this ink all day, I fell more in love with it. It dries fairly quickly (about 25 sec) and is very well behaved. It does not feather or bleed and there is slight showthrough only on Tomoe River paper typical of other inks.

But the attribute I really care for with this ink, besides the color, is the shading. While I was using a stub nib all day, I am fairly certain it will shade nicely even with a fine nib.

Here it is on 52gsm Tomoe River paper (from a Nanami Seven Seas notebook):

IMG_7208 TR.jpg

IMG_7210 TR CLOSEUP.jpg

Overall, I really like this ink. This is one which is on my list to purchase.

Thank you again for stopping by. Until tomorrow . . .

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 17th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 17th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 17th, 2021), Yazeh (December 17th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 16 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: VINTAGE COPPER

Vintage copper is a shimmer ink. It is a lovely coppery shade of ink with tremendous copper shimmer and a brown sheen.

IMG_7217.jpg

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7203 RHODIA.jpg

Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper (cream colored):

IMG_7205 FAB.jpg

IMG_7206 FAB CLOSE UP.jpg

And here it is on 52gsm Tomoe River paper:

IMG_7212 TR.jpg

IMG_7214 TR.jpg

The ink does take a bit longer to dry - around 30 seconds with a medium nib. It is fairly smooth with only a small amount of drag likely because of the shimmer. It is well behaved, does not feather or bleed through except in very heavy applications. Also it has minimum showthrough or ghosting except in the normal amount with 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

Vintage Copper is a lovely color. The only thing I do not care for is that with heavy applications, the shimmer will smear off a bit. This is visible on the Rhodia sample above.

Thank you again for stopping by. I will be back tomorrow with Day 17.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 17th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 17th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 17th, 2021)

Thanks

Oh wow...that "Diamine - Nightshade" is absolutely gorgeous.
    Adding that one to my list as well, thank you!!!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Nightshade reminds of R& K Isatis, an Vintage copper of Ancient copper with shimmer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Nightshade reminds of R& K Isatis, an Vintage copper of Ancient copper with shimmer
    I saw comparisons of Isatis and Night Shade - they were slightly different (I don't have Isatis so I can't compare), and indeed Ancient Copper is basically the same as Vintage Copper without shimmer, although both inks vary in color with ink concentration.

Thanks

DAY 17 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: THUNDERBOLT

IMG_7229.jpg

Diamine's Thunderbolt is a Standard ink. It is a saturated blend of blue and purple, very much like other royal blue inks. It does have some sheen, very little shading and no shimmer.

The following photos show the ink written on Rhodia Dot Pad paper.

IMG_7221 rHODIA.jpg

IMG_7222 RHODIA CU.jpg

Here is the ink written on Fabriano Ecoqua paper, which is a cream colored paper.

IMG_7223 FAB.jpg

IMG_7224 FAB CU.jpg

Thunderbolt is a similar shade to several other royal blue inks with purple undertones. I briefly compared Thunderbolt to several other blue inks that I already had in my pens.

IMG_7225 TR COMPARISONS.jpg

This ink also reminds me of Noodler's Baystate Blue, particularly since it is so saturated. While I did not test water resistance, I imagine that this might have some.

The one thing that is very noticeable with this ink is the odor. It is not unlike the odor on the Day 1 ink, Seize the Night. And it is similar to the odor in Diamine Sapphire Blue. In fact, some suggest that Thunderbolt is the same ink.

And to be honest, the minute I opened the bottle I was struck with a mild migraine that ended as quickly as I finished my daily writing and closed the bottle. Thankfully, the odor dissipates quickly when dried.

Also, I noticed that the ink is very saturated and is a bit more difficult to clean. I used a dip pen for the writing above and a palette knife for the smears. I had to use soap to clean the remaining ink off the pen and knife. I would likely not put this in a demonstrator or pen that stains easily.

Other than these minor issues, the ink is a lovely color and behaves fairly well. It dries very quickly and does not bleed but I did notice a slight amount of feathering on Fabriano and lesser quality papers. There is some very light showthrough on Fabriano paper and more so on Tomoe River (see showthrough on TR photo above)

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. In some cases, I will use a dip pen instead. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting or natural sunlight and have not been retouched or altered.

Thank you again for stopping by. Until tomorrow . . .

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by DrPenfection; December 17th, 2021 at 12:53 PM.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 19th, 2021), Detman101 (December 17th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 18th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 17th, 2021), Yazeh (December 17th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 18 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: SUBZERO

Due to my crazy work schedule, and then the Christmas holiday, I am posting the last of my Inkvent musings a bit late. Thank you all for your patience, and I hope you enjoy my musings.

Subzero is a shimmer ink. It is a gorgeous shade of turquoise with a blue/silvery shimmer. It reminds me of those beautiful glacial rivers and streams in Alaska, and likely other places with glaciers.

SWATCH.jpg

Here is the ink written on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

SUBZERO RHO.jpg

This is written with a Rohrer and Klingner glass dip pen.

Here it is on Fabriano Ecoqua paper - a cream colored paper:

SUBZERO FAB.jpg

As I wrote with this ink using several different dip pens, I fell more in love with the color. It dries fairly quickly (about 25 sec) and is very well behaved. It does not feather or bleed and there is minimal showthrough only on Tomoe River paper.

While it did shade somewhat, I loved the fact that the ink does not smear and dries in reasonable time even on Tomoe River paper.

Here it is on 52gsm Tomoe River paper (from a Nanami Seven Seas notebook):

SUBZERO TR.jpg

And here is a close up on Tomoe River paper.

SUBZERO TR CLOSEUP.jpg

Overall, I really like this ink. This is one which is on my list to purchase.

Thank you again for stopping by.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 30th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 30th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 30th, 2021), Yazeh (December 30th, 2021)