Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

DAY 19 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: FESTIVE JOY

Due to my crazy work schedule, and then the Christmas holiday, I am posting the last of my Inkvent musings a bit late. Thank you all for your patience, and I hope you enjoy my musings.

Festive Joy is one of Diamine's Standard inks, which means it does not have sheen or shimmer. It is a warm, rich purple with some gold/bronze sheen to it.

FESTIVE JOY SWATCH 2.jpg

The ink is quite nice to write with, and is very well behaved. I filled my Lamy Safari Dark Lilac with the ink, and enjoyed writing it with through the week. The ink dries relatively quickly in about 20-25 seconds. It does not feather or bleed through on the papers that I used it on, and there is very little show through, even on Tomoe River paper. It does, however, have that unique odor that Thunderbolt and Seize the Night also have, but it does not seem quite as strong. It didn't give me a migraine like the others.

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper, which is 80 gsm:

FESTIVE JOY RHO.jpg

And here it is on Tomoe River 52gsm paper (Nanami Seven Seas Notebook):

FESTIVE JOY TR.jpg

This is another ink that I have enjoyed. It is, however, close to several other purple inks that I have, so I am not likely to purchase a bottle when (and if) the Red Edition inks come out.

Thank you again for stopping by.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 30th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 30th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 30th, 2021), Yazeh (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 20 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: PINK ICE

Due to my crazy work schedule, and then the Christmas holiday, I am posting the last of my Inkvent musings a bit late. Thank you all for your patience, and I hope you enjoy my musings.

I actually opened each bottle on the respective Inkvent day, but since I was out of town on business, staying in a hotel that had really poor internet, I could not post my musings as usual. Excuses, excuses . . .

Pink Ice is another favorite, although I did not take many photos. Here is the swatch that I made:

PINK ICE SWATCH.jpg

This lovely salmon-pink ink with shimmer is certainly a welcome color on a cold and dreary morning like today. And like many other of the shimmer inks, this one is well behaved and dries relatively quickly. It does not appear to feather or spread on the papers that I used it on, and does not bleedthrough and the showthrough is minimal. Unfortunately, there is little to no shading with this ink, and it is moderately dry. It does seem fairly watery and it slipped off the glass dip pen that I used fairly easily. I kept having to re-ink my dip pen to write even a couple of sentences. It obviously has no lubrication. But otherwise, it is a very pleasant color and does not have the odor some of the other Inkvent inks are plagued with.

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad 80 gsm paper:
    PINK ICE RHO.jpg

And here it is on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

PINK ICE TR.jpg

While I am not sure when I would use this ink, it is very nice and a possible consideration for a future purchase of a full bottle.

Thank you for joining me on this adventure!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 30th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 30th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 30th, 2021), Yazeh (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 21 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: BRANDY SNAP

BRANDY SNAP SWATCH.jpg

This is a standard ink in the Inkvent Calender and has no shimmer or sheen. This pleasant tan ink does have some shading properties and also halos on the edges on some papers.

I actually opened each bottle on the respective Inkvent day, but since I was out of town on business, staying in a hotel that had really poor internet, I could not post my musings as usual. Excuses, excuses . . .

Brandy Snap is a well behaved ink. It dries relatively quickly, but has no water resistance, which is typical of many of the Inkvent inks this year. It is also quite watery and slips quickly off my glass dip pen, and dries in the nib of my fountain pen quickly. I'm not wild about dry starts. But otherwise it is a pleasant ink. It does not feather or bleed, and the showthrough is minimal.

Here it is on Rhodia 80 gsm paper:

BRANDY SNAP RHO.jpg

and here it is on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

BRANDY SNAP TR.jpg

I confess that I am not in love with the color enough to purchase a full bottle when they become available. But it is a nice ink.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Thanks

[
    DAY 22 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: BLACK IVY

WOW! Black Ivy is a statement ink!

BLACK IVY SWATCH.jpg

It is a sheening ink, and boy does it have a sheen!

Black Ivy is beautiful! It is a very saturated greenish teal that dries more green than teal. And it has a deep crimson sheen that almost overwhelms the intense green color beneath.

It is a well behaved ink, and dries moderately quickly. It does not bleed through except with heavy application , and does not feather on most papers. It does, however, showthrough on Tomoe River due to the heavy saturated color.

BLACK IVY RHO.jpg

And here it is on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

BLACK IVY TR.jpg

Many inks with heavy sheen have a tendancy to dry slowly and smear. But Black Ivy dries thoroughly and does not smear. If you like heavily sheening dark green inks, this may be a great ink for you.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 30th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 30th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 23 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: WONDERLAND

Wonderland is one of the standard inks in the Diamine Inkvent Calendar. It has not shimmer or sheen and has little shading and no haloing (darkening on the edges of the letters). It is a yellow-orange color that reminds me of others such as Calamo Sapphron and Montblanc Golden Yellow. Unfortunately it lacks the shading and subtlety of those other two inks.

WONDERLAND SWATCH.jpg

WONDERLAND RHO.jpg

WONDERLAND TR.jpg

The ink is well behaved, with no bleed through, feathering or spreading, and show through is minimal due to the lower saturation of the color. Overall, it is nice, but not remarkable.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Thanks

DAY 24 OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: YULETIDE

Yuletide is a standard ink, without shimmer. It is a very nice teal and does have a light amount of a burgundy sheen. It is a very pretty ink and had medium shading. I have been using this ink for the last few days and have really enjoyed it.

YULETIDE SWATCH.jpg

YULETIDE RHO.jpg

And on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

YULETIDE TR.jpg

The ink is very well behaved. It is a moderately wet ink, but dries relatively quickly (20-25 seconds). It has minimal lubrication but does not have a watery feeling when writing. It does not bleed, feather or spread, and show through is minimal except on Tomoe River paper. Overall, I really like this ink. It has made the short list for future purchase when Diamine puts these out. In the meantime, I will enjoy the remainder of my little bottle.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Thanks

DRUM ROLL PLEASE!!!!!

THIS IS DAY 25 - THE FINAL DAY OF THE 2021 DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR

AND THE INK IS ALL THE BEST

ALL THE BEST SWATCH .jpg

And, yes, Diamine did save the very best for last!

This is a stunning Shimmer and Sheen ink. It is a beautiful dark red ink, with a green/gold sheen and a blue/purple shimmer. The sheen is clearly evident in every letter written, even with an extra fine nib. The shimmer comes through with wider nibs, which just sets this ink off. And best of all is that it does not take that long to dry (25 seconds with a broad nib) and does not smear after it is dry. Only a tiny amount of shimmer may wipe off, but not enough to really notice.

This is a gorgeous ink! While it is not lubricated, it is moderately wet and not at all watery. I have been writing with it for the last few days and just love it.

ALL THE BEST RHO.jpg

and here it is on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

ALL THE BEST TR1.jpg

And I can't help but post another photo of the beauty of this ink:

ALL THE BEST TR1 CU.jpg

Until this Inkvent calendar, I have always avoided shimmer inks. My previous, and limited, experience with shimmer inks was not positive. But Garland, Subzero, and All the Best have changed my opinion. I don't think I will ever become a shimmer fanatic, but I may include a few in my "stable" of inks.

Thank you for journeying with me on my first Inkvent adventure! I hope it was as pleasant for you as it has been for me.

And with that I wish you all . . .

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 30th, 2021), damfino (December 30th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 30th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 30th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 30th, 2021), sospiro (December 30th, 2021), Yazeh (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Oooo....Black Ivy...don't tempt me! 👍🏻
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Great review Dr. P...
    Thunderbolt reminds me (swabs) of the illumination in medieval manuscripts.
    Subzero seems similar to arctic blue....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Love this thread! Thank you so much for sharing your musings. Black Ivy and All the Best are inks I can't wait to try.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to damfino For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Ah, Sailor, my whole intent in doing this is to tempt just you!
    Last edited by DrPenfection; December 30th, 2021 at 12:49 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review Dr. P...
    Thunderbolt reminds me (swabs) of the illumination in medieval manuscripts.
    Subzero seems similar to arctic blue....
    Thank you Yazeh. Truthfully, I love the color of Thunderbolt, but I just abide the smell.

Subzero is really nice. Since I haven't used Arctic Blue, I have not basis of comparison. But I do like the color.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damfino View Post
    Love this thread! Thank you so much for sharing your musings. Black Ivy and All the Best are inks I can't wait to try.
    Thank you for your very kind comments. Stay tuned. I will be doing ink reviews of a few of these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Ah, Sailor, my whole intent in doing this is to tempt just you!
    You fiend!

I've loved every photo. It was almost like having my own InkVent Calendar.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Wow, that All the Best just knocked me out! So over the top!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

DAY 6 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: WINTER SPICE

This is a Sheen and Shimmer ink. It is a very complex color of brown with a deep red undertone, with a dark green sheen and a bluish turquoise shimmer. I think it is appropriately named if you consider all of the spices used to make mulled wine or hot spiced tea.

Early in the morning, right after I get up, I get my morning coffee and head for my home office and my Diamine Inkvent Calendar. After removing the bottle from the Inkvent box and the protective wrapping, I generally shake it up, then do an ink swatch using a palette knife and glass nib pen. Then, I prepare a fountain pen with the ink - in this case another Lamy Safari with medium nib. I then proceed to write in my journal using the new Inkvent ink.

Here is the ink written in my 52gsm journal paper:

Attachment 65486

This is written with the Lamy Safari and also swatched using my palette knife.

Here is the ink written on Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper:

Attachment 65487

Attachment 65488

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

Attachment 65489

And here are Days 1 through 6 Inkvent inks on Rhodia paper:

Attachment 65490

I mentioned that this is a complex ink - one of the most complex I have seen. When I dropped one drop of water on the ink, I was amazed to see all of the different colors. As a result, I did a very quick chromotography on a paper towel. You will notice, of course, that the brown at the bottom is the heavier shimmer. But I was surprised at the bright pink and orange that emerged, with the yellow, blue and green emerging as the top.

Attachment 65491

The ink dries relatively quickly - about 20s to 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. As with Garland, I thought it would take longer because it is a shimmer ink.

I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. It is a bit drier than some of the other Inkvent inks, but not what I would consider a dry ink. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the other papers used today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper. And remarkably, there is no smudging or smearing when dry.

As with a few other of the Inkvent inks, this is an interesting ink, but certainly not for everyday use. I think this looks best on off white or ivory papers. It does not seems to blend well with bright white paper.

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

I loved your reviews so much I bought the Calendar. Late in January, lol. Winter Spice...my first thought was, 'Swell. Another dull, dreary ink.' But your chroma has me re-evaluating it!

Even though it's really tough to get the actual bottle out the shrink-wrap, I'm having fun. Thank you.

Thanks

DAY 6 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: WINTER SPICE

This is a Sheen and Shimmer ink. It is a very complex color of brown with a deep red undertone, with a dark green sheen and a bluish turquoise shimmer. I think it is appropriately named if you consider all of the spices used to make mulled wine or hot spiced tea.

Early in the morning, right after I get up, I get my morning coffee and head for my home office and my Diamine Inkvent Calendar. After removing the bottle from the Inkvent box and the protective wrapping, I generally shake it up, then do an ink swatch using a palette knife and glass nib pen. Then, I prepare a fountain pen with the ink - in this case another Lamy Safari with medium nib. I then proceed to write in my journal using the new Inkvent ink.

Here is the ink written in my 52gsm journal paper:

Attachment 65486

This is written with the Lamy Safari and also swatched using my palette knife.

Here is the ink written on Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper:

Attachment 65487

Attachment 65488

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

Attachment 65489

And here are Days 1 through 6 Inkvent inks on Rhodia paper:

Attachment 65490

I mentioned that this is a complex ink - one of the most complex I have seen. When I dropped one drop of water on the ink, I was amazed to see all of the different colors. As a result, I did a very quick chromotography on a paper towel. You will notice, of course, that the brown at the bottom is the heavier shimmer. But I was surprised at the bright pink and orange that emerged, with the yellow, blue and green emerging as the top.

Attachment 65491

The ink dries relatively quickly - about 20s to 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. As with Garland, I thought it would take longer because it is a shimmer ink.

I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. It is a bit drier than some of the other Inkvent inks, but not what I would consider a dry ink. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the other papers used today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper. And remarkably, there is no smudging or smearing when dry.

As with a few other of the Inkvent inks, this is an interesting ink, but certainly not for everyday use. I think this looks best on off white or ivory papers. It does not seems to blend well with bright white paper.

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

I loved your reviews so much I bought the Calendar. Late in January, lol. Winter Spice...my first thought was, 'Swell. Another dull, dreary ink.' But your chroma has me re-evaluating it!

Even though it's really tough to get the actual bottle out the shrink-wrap, I'm having fun. Thank you.
    I understand completely - about both the ink and the shrink wrap.

Regarding the shrink wrap, I found it easiest to take a knife and cut the shrink wrap at the bottom of the bottle first and work it upward, then at the top it comes off easier.

While I didn't love every one of the inks, it was great fun to do one ink at a time. I started to go through withdrawl symptoms following December 25th.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 1st, 2022), Yazeh (January 31st, 2022)

Thanks

Thanks, you were correct about cutting the shrink wrap from the bottom.

There seem to be an awful lot of darkity-dark inks in this calendar!

Thanks

I agree. Some are nice, but several are just kind of "meh".

Thanks

Both Seize The Night and Thunderbolt had a peculiar smell which gave me an instant headache. T-Bolt looked like a good color, but I capped it and put it away.

I'm in agreement with your take on the colors so far. Seize was very intriguing; too bad about the smell.