Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

DAY 6 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: WINTER SPICE

This is a Sheen and Shimmer ink. It is a very complex color of brown with a deep red undertone, with a dark green sheen and a bluish turquoise shimmer. I think it is appropriately named if you consider all of the spices used to make mulled wine or hot spiced tea.

Early in the morning, right after I get up, I get my morning coffee and head for my home office and my Diamine Inkvent Calendar. After removing the bottle from the Inkvent box and the protective wrapping, I generally shake it up, then do an ink swatch using a palette knife and glass nib pen. Then, I prepare a fountain pen with the ink - in this case another Lamy Safari with medium nib. I then proceed to write in my journal using the new Inkvent ink.

Here is the ink written in my 52gsm journal paper:

IMG_7131.jpg

This is written with the Lamy Safari and also swatched using my palette knife.

Here is the ink written on Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper:

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7127.jpg

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7128 (2).jpg

And here are Days 1 through 6 Inkvent inks on Rhodia paper:

IMG_7129.jpg

I mentioned that this is a complex ink - one of the most complex I have seen. When I dropped one drop of water on the ink, I was amazed to see all of the different colors. As a result, I did a very quick chromotography on a paper towel. You will notice, of course, that the brown at the bottom is the heavier shimmer. But I was surprised at the bright pink and orange that emerged, with the yellow, blue and green emerging as the top.

IMG_7135.jpg

The ink dries relatively quickly - about 20s to 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. As with Garland, I thought it would take longer because it is a shimmer ink.

I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. It is a bit drier than some of the other Inkvent inks, but not what I would consider a dry ink. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the other papers used today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper. And remarkably, there is no smudging or smearing when dry.

As with a few other of the Inkvent inks, this is an interesting ink, but certainly not for everyday use. I think this looks best on off white or ivory papers. It does not seems to blend well with bright white paper.

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 8th, 2021), damfino (December 8th, 2021), Detman101 (December 8th, 2021), junglejim (December 7th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 7th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 7th, 2021), Yazeh (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Interesting. I don't have the time to do all of these sorts of things for my videos, so I'm glad that you're posting your results here. Thanks!

- Matthew

Incidentally, YouTube seems to have deleted your comment from my channel (presumably because of the link), but I followed the link here from the email notification.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewTWP For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 6th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewTWP View Post
    Interesting. I don't have the time to do all of these sorts of things for my videos, so I'm glad that you're posting your results here. Thanks!

- Matthew

Incidentally, YouTube seems to have deleted your comment from my channel (presumably because of the link), but I followed the link here from the email notification.
    Thanks MatthewTWP! Love your youtube videos!

Thanks

DAY 7 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: CANDLE LIGHT

Diamine's Candle Light is a standard ink. We have seen some fairly complex inks in the first six days of this Inkvent Calendar, but this ink seems very basic. It is a bright but basic yellow ink with a tan or brown undertone. This does remind me of candle light in a dim room. It also reminds me of soft, tanned leather with subtle shading and suppleness.

Today, as I awoke early to open my next bottle of Inkvent ink, after I swabbed the ink, I chose to fill a bespoke pen in a rich natural burlwood with this ink with a 1.1 soft stub nib. It is a great combination.

Here is the swatch:

IMG_7143.jpg

Here is the ink written in my 52gsm journal paper:

IMG_7142.jpg

The ink is very moderate in terms of wetness, with little lubrication. But with this pen, the ink behaved beautifully. The line underneath and the swatch were made using a palette knife.

IMG_7146 2.jpg

And here are Days 1 - 7 of the Inkvent calendar on Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper:

IMG_7146 ALL.jpg

Here is the ink on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7145 2.jpg

And, again here are Days 1 - 7 of the Inkvent calendar on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

IMG_7145 ALL.jpg

I have several yellow inks, and wanted to find a close match to this ink. The closest I have is Montblanc's Golden Yellow. Diamine Candle Light is on the left and Montblanc Golden Yellow is on the right.

IMG_7144.jpg

You can see that MB Golden Yellow has more of an orange undertone than Candle Light. The same can be said for Sailor Manyo Yamabuki, Stipula Calamo Sapphron. Akkerman Gele Oker von Frans and Rohrer & Klingner Helianthus. But Candle Light does not seem to have some of the similar problems other yellow inks do and is fairly well behaved. It is interesting that Candle Light does provide more of a haloing effect (darker edges of the letters) than other yellows that I have. And like other yellow inks, it shades very nicely.

The ink dries moderately quickly - about 20s to 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper, but when compared to some of the other Inkvent inks, the swatches took much longer to dry.

After writing with the ink all day, I have found it to be very readable, and it is well behaved. It is a bit drier than some of the other Inkvent inks, but not what I would consider a dry ink. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the other papers used today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on off-white or ivory paper rather that bright white. But the ink does seem a bit brighter on white paper.

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Chrissy (December 8th, 2021), damfino (December 8th, 2021), Detman101 (December 8th, 2021), junglejim (December 8th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 8th, 2021), penwash (December 8th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 8th, 2021), TSherbs (December 8th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 8th, 2021), Yazeh (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

This thread is a Christmas Gift in itself.
    Thank you DrPenfection!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

I enjoy a relatively small variety of inks but am in no way an inkophile like many are here. Despite my fairly narrow band of interest in inks, I am having a great time reading these reviews. Great job! Thanks for doing this and please keep it up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    This thread is a Christmas Gift in itself.
    Thank you DrPenfection!
    Thank you! That is so incredibly nice!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whichwatch View Post
    I enjoy a relatively small variety of inks but am in no way an inkophile like many are here. Despite my fairly narrow band of interest in inks, I am having a great time reading these reviews. Great job! Thanks for doing this and please keep it up!
    Thank you so much for your kind comments! I must admit that I do love to review inks, although I am not nearly as good as many and don't have the photographic skills and equipment that others have. But I do enjoy doing them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Add me to the list. I've sworn off glitter inks, but I love seeing them in this collection. Some are even right up my alley, like the gold and dark brownblackwhatever. 👍🏻

Wonderful thread, and many thanks.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Thank you so much for your kind comments! I must admit that I do love to review inks, although I am not nearly as good as many and don't have the photographic skills and equipment that others have. But I do enjoy doing them.
    The fact that you enjoy doing them is where the improvement usually comes from.

When people ask about my sketches and lament the fact that they don't have the "talent", I point out that talent has way less importance than enjoyment. If you enjoy something, you're not dragging your feet to continue doing it, and with frequency comes ideas for improvements.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 8th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 8th, 2021), Yazeh (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 8 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: RASPBERRY ROSE

Raspberry Rose is one of the Inkvent calendar's standard inks, with no sheen or shimmer. This is a lovely raspberry shade that is softened to a rose color. As with Harmony and others, this gives a warm, nostalgic feel.

After swabbing the ink, I loaded into a Faber Castell Loom with broad nib and began writing with it in my Nanami Seven Seas journal with 52 gsm Tomoe River paper.

Here it is on Tomoe River paper:

DAY 8 RR TR.jpg

The ink is very moderate in terms of wetness, with little lubrication. But with this pen, the ink behaved beautifully. The line underneath and the swatch were made using a palette knife.

DAY 8 RR FAB.jpg

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Pad paper:

DAY 8 RR RHODIA.jpg

The ink dries moderately quickly - about 20s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. After writing with the ink all day, I have found it to be quite enjoyable and it is well behaved. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the other papers used today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on off-white or ivory paper rather that bright white. But the ink does seem a bit brighter on white paper.

And for your viewing pleasure, here is a quick blending sketch using Day 1 through 8 Inkvent Calendar inks.

INKVENT D 1-8 2.jpg

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 10th, 2021), Yazeh (December 10th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 9 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: STORM

I woke up this morning to cloudy skies, high winds with blowing snow. We were having a typical Sierra Nevada blow.

I got up, grabbed my warmest robe, and meandered sleepily to my office. Then I reached for my Diamine Inkvent Calendar box, opened door no. 9, and found an ink called "Storm". How appropriate for the morning! But before I confronted this Storm, I needed a large cup of strong coffee!

Storm is a Shimmer ink. It is a beautiful dark blue with undertones of deep violet. The ink has a light gold shimmer - perhaps both silver and gold shimmer together, and a slight dark burgundy sheen.

Here is the ink swatch:

SWATCH.jpg

After swabbing the ink, I loaded into my Lamy Safari with broad nib and began writing with it in my Nanami Seven Seas journal with 52 gsm Tomoe River paper. As I wrote, the beautiful light gold shimmer permeated my writing, and I noticed a dark burgundy sheen to the ink.

Here it is on Tomoe River paper:

DAY 9 STORM TR.jpg

And here is a close up:

DAY 9 STORM TR CLOSE UP.jpg

Here it is on Rhodia paper:

DAY 9 STORM RHODIA.jpg

and Fabriano Ecoqua paper:

DAY 9 STORM FAB.jpg

I am a bit disappointed that neither the shimmer or the slight sheen were readily apparent on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers. To be honest, this ink seems to be made for Tomoe River paper or perhap Cosmo Air Light paper (which I have yet to try it on).

The ink dries moderately quickly - about 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper. After writing with the ink all day, I really like it. Like the other Diamine inks, there is no smearing and the shimmer does not rub off. The ink is very well behaved and I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the Cambridge notebook paper, or Staedler engineering paper that I used it on today. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only a limited amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

I prefer the look of this ink on bright white paper, which really shows the contrast the best.

Perhaps the greatest surprise to me is how easy this ink was to clean from my pen. Up until this Inkvent calendar, I have never been a fan of shimmer inks because they are so difficult to clean from the pen. But last night I was pleasantly surprised when I cleaned my pens of the ink from days 1 through 9. The shimmer inks needed just a slight bit of cleaning more than the standard inks. I have found other regular inks to be much more difficult to clean than the Inkvent shimmer inks. Yay!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 14th, 2021), penwash (December 10th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 10th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 11th, 2021), Yazeh (December 10th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 10 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: PEACH PUNCH

After yesterday's spectacular ink, Peach Punch, which is one of the Inkvent calendar's standard inks, is much more soft and subdued. It is a pale orange ink with soft edges of peach.

After swabbing the ink, I used a glass dip pen and palette knife for the samples below:

Here it is on Tomoe River paper (dip pen used for the writing):

DAY 10 PP TR.jpg

And on Rhodia Dot pad paper:

DAY 10 PP RHODIA.jpg

And on Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper:

DAY 10 PP FAB.jpg

The ink is very moderate in terms of wetness, with little lubrication. The ink dries moderately quickly - about 25s on 52gsm Tomoe River paper, which is longer than the other standard inks in the calendar.

While I have not written with this ink much today, it seems an average ink in the orange spectrum. It seems well behaved so far, and I have not seen any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used. I did use the ink on my Exacompa Bloc pad and also did not see any feathering or bleedthrough. Showthrough or ghosting is not apparent except slightly on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 14th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 10th, 2021), Yazeh (December 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

So I have to reveal my ignorance here, are these inks future Diamine products which will be available from their usual distributors?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

24. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Storm reminds me of more elegant shimmering seas... Though what I see, is mostly silver shimmer....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Storm reminds me of more elegant shimmering seas... Though what I see, is mostly silver shimmer....
    I do not have Shimmering Seas, so I "borrowed" a swatch from mountainofink.com:

SWATCH 500.jpgd-shimmering-seas-1.jpg

It appears that they are very close in color. But Shimmering Seas has a brighter gold shimmer, whereas Storm is a light gold, or possibly a gold and silver shimmer.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Definitely silver

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

According to Diamine: Storm contains a combination of gold and silver shimmer so you're both right
    I had to ask to ensure I got all of the shimmer colours right. This is a copy of the list I was sent:

The shimmers are listed below
    Garland - Blue Shimmer
    Tempest - Gold Shimmer
    Winter Spice - Blue Shimmer
    Storm - Combination of Gold & Silver Shimmer
    Party Time - Blue Shimmer
    Stargazer - Green Shimmer
    Vintage Copper - Gold Shimmer
    Subzero - Green Shimmer
    Pink Ice - Red & Silver Shimmer
    All The Best - Blue Shimmer
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 11th, 2021 at 01:20 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 11th, 2021), penwash (December 11th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 11th, 2021), Yazeh (December 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    So I have to reveal my ignorance here, are these inks future Diamine products which will be available from their usual distributors?
    We're expecting them to be released as special Red Edition bottles like the Blue Edition inks were.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

This is such a great thread. Thanks to each of you contributing in your own ways!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 11th, 2021), DrPenfection (December 11th, 2021)