Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Thumbs up Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

I thought it might be nice to have a place for anyone who chooses to post their thoughts about the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar inks by each day.

While I received my Inkvent Calendar over a month ago, I have chosen to enjoy the festivity of season and only open the designated ink each day until December 25th.

The Day 1 ink, which I opened this morning, is called Seize the Night. It is classified as a "Standard" ink. I loaded it into a pen that is similar in color - my Leonardo Momento Zero in Red Marble.

It is a very interesting wine/purple colored ink. With the lovely gold sheen, it makes the ink look somewhat brownish.

These are photos taken in natural light.

IMG_7105 1800 TR.jpg
    Paper: 52 gsm Tomoe River
    Pen: Leonardo Momento Zero Red Marble with 1.1 stub nib

IMG_7106 1800 TR.jpg
    Paper: 52 gsm Tomoe River

The ink itself is fairly wet and has a slightly lubricated feel. Writing on both Tomoe River and Fabriano paper was very smooth, whereas writing on the Rhodia paper felt slightly sluggish.

IMG_7103 1800 fabriano.jpg
    Paper: Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper
    Pens: Leonardo Momento Zero Red Marble with 1.1 stub nib
    Lamy Al-Star with Fine nib

There is a very nice gold sheen to this ink. While it does turn the ink more brown, the gold sheen is evident on all papers. The sheen is even evident on cheap copy paper.

IMG_7104 1800 fabriano.jpg
    Paper: Fabriano Ecoqua notebook paper

Drying time was reasonably quick on Fabriano paper and Rhodia, but, as expected, it took longer on the Tomoe River paper.

IMG_7102 1800 Rhodia.jpg
    Paper: Rhodia Dot Pad

I think this ink looks best on the ivory/off-white papers (TR and Fabriano), but the purple tone is more evident on the whiter Rhodia paper. I like it best on 52gsm Tomoe River paper (Nanami Seven Seas Notebook). The ink shows a definite haloing effect with the dark edges to the letters. Also, the ink shades really nicely on all the papers, but especially TR. There is no evidence of bleeding on TR paper, but the ink does bleed slightly on Fabriano and Rhodia.

Overall, I am enjoying this ink. While it is not necessarily an ink I would have sought to purchase, it is a lovely ink to try out.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 2nd, 2021), Chrissy (December 2nd, 2021), damfino (December 3rd, 2021), Detman101 (December 6th, 2021), junglejim (December 2nd, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 2nd, 2021), Yazeh (December 1st, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Musings on the 2021 Diamine Inkvent Calendar

I honestly though Seize the Night was a black ink with a gold sheen when I opened it last night. My glass pen is a bit fine-ish, and all I did was write in my TR notebook with a small scribble. Then I watched "The Wet Pen" on YouTube, and was like, what? So I did a swab of it on TR and Rhodia. I love it a lot more now!
    I know I'm a pastor, but I use fountain pens, so I must be cool, right?
    revginapond.net

4. The Following User Says Thank You to worthyadvisor For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 3rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

What a fabulous idea, Dr. P Looking forward to the rest of the selection...
    The brown one reminds me of the Brown Pink category... their quite the rage nowadays

Thanks

I've been writing with this ink all day and it is interesting. I love the wetness even though I did put it in a relatively wet pen. But it lays down as a wine colored purple - dark and rich like a cabernet, but as it dries it becomes flatter in color with the gold sheen emerging turning the color to more of a brown. The shading is quite nice as well.

My ink splatters didn't splatter very well (of course dropping the paper on the floor didn't help much.

I shall be back tomorrow with Day 2.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 3rd, 2021), junglejim (December 2nd, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 2nd, 2021), Yazeh (December 1st, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Diamine definitely calls "Seize the Night" a black ink. That's why I called it "purple black but not the blackest black" when I reviewed the Inkvent Calendar.
    When I originally received the inks to review I also received a sheet of all of their details and pantones.
    I won't link it here because I may not be supposed to do that but this is what Diamine says about that ink:
    1) Seize the Night - Black - Standard - Pantone - Black 5C
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 2nd, 2021 at 09:41 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

PenInvestigations (December 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Diamine definitely calls "Seize the Night" a black ink. That's why I called it "purple black but not the blackest black" when I reviewed it.
    When I originally received the inks to review I also received a sheet of all of their details and pantones.
    I won't link it here because I may not be supposed to do that but this is what Diamine says about that ink:
    Huh, interesting. So those of us who thought it was black weren't totally off after all! Just a purply/burgundy black. I gotta hand it to Diamine for starting with such and interesting ink!
    revginapond.net

11. The Following User Says Thank You to worthyadvisor For This Useful Post:

PenInvestigations (December 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worthyadvisor View Post

Huh, interesting. So those of us who thought it was black weren't totally off after all! Just a purply/burgundy black. I gotta hand it to Diamine for starting with such and interesting ink!
    That's a good description of it: purply/burgundy black.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

worthyadvisor (December 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by worthyadvisor View Post
    Diamine definitely calls "Seize the Night" a black ink. That's why I called it "purple black but not the blackest black" when I reviewed it.
    Thank you for posting this Chrissy.

I find it very interesting since even after the ink has sat in the pen it still looks burgundy/purple/brown. It seems anything else but black. But, perhaps I need to try it in a very wet fine nib.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Thanks, DrPenfection. The close-up pics are lovely.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    I find it very interesting since even after the ink has sat in the pen it still looks burgundy/purple/brown. It seems anything else but black. But, perhaps I need to try it in a very wet fine nib.
    I used a fine glass pen. I may not have knocked off enough of the excess ink? Did show the sheen nicely, though.
    revginapond.net

Thanks

Day 2 of the Diamine Inkvent Calendar: Garland

It is classified as a Sheen and Shimmer ink. After testing it with my dip pen, I loaded into my Lamy Safari Petrol with broad nib.

This appears to be a lovely dark green/teal with a burgundy sheen and a bright blue shimmer.

IMG_7117.jpg
    Paper: Col-o-ring swatch paper
    Pen: R&K Glass Dip Pen/palette knife

IMG_7112.jpg
    Paper: 52gsm Tomoe River
    Palette knife

The ink itself is moderate - neither wet nor dry and has a slightly lubricated feel. It flowed well from my pen without clogging throughout the day.

Writing on all papers was very smooth.

IMG_7111 1500.jpg
    Paper: 52gsm Tomoe River (off-white)
    Pen: Lamy Safari with Broad nib

IMG_7113 1500.jpg
    Paper: Rhodia Dot Pad (white)

IMG_7115 1500.jpg
    Paper: Fabriano Ecoqua notebook (ivory)
    Platinum Prera with extra fine nib

The dries relatively quickly, and does not smudge after it is dry.

I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the inexpensive memo paper or post-it note paper that I tried it on. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

My initial impressions is that I love the sheen, but the small amount of blue shimmer just adds drama to the ink. I do like this ink and will seriously consider purchasing a bottle of. [/SIZE]

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 2nd, 2021), damfino (December 3rd, 2021), Detman101 (December 6th, 2021), junglejim (December 5th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 3rd, 2021), Yazeh (December 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Garland is one of my 5 favourites from this calendar.

Thanks

Garland--wowza! I bought my calendar in October--and forgot to start opening it this week. So I'm diving in soon!

Thanks

Garland is one of my 5 favourites from this calendar.
    Of the three that I have opened so far Garland is my favorite. For me, that is interesting, because I have never been a fan of shimmer inks. This one will be the exception. I love that it does not smear at all.

Thanks

Day 3 of the Diamine Inkvent Calendar: Ash

This is a Standard ink, but shades very nicely.
    The ink a gray/green color that as it dries adds a brownish shade. It is an interesting ink. I do not have any other color like in my collection.

IMG_7125 tr.jpg
    The paper is Tomoe River paper and the pen is a glass nib pen. To create the line, I used a simple palette knife.

Here it is on Rhodia paper:
    IMG_7120 RHODIA.jpg

And here it is on Fabriano paper:
    IMG_7118.jpg

The ink is a bit drier than the other two Inkvent inks that I have tried. It does flow nicely from the pen without any problems. Writing on all papers was smooth.

The dries relatively quickly. I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the inexpensive memo paper or post-it note paper that I tried it on. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

The name of this ink is very appropriate as the ink does remind you of ash from a lovely woodburning fire. The color and the matte finish really show the beauty of the ink. Truthfully, this is not my favorite shade, so I will likely not be purchasing a bottle of this.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

amk (December 7th, 2021), damfino (December 5th, 2021), Detman101 (December 6th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 5th, 2021)

Thanks

DAY 4 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: TEMPEST

This is a Shimmer ink. It is a dark teal/blue with a strong gold shimmer that really complements the depth of the blue.
    This is also another interesting ink. At first, I did not think that I would like it, but it has really grown on me.

IMG_7123 tr.jpg
    IMG_7124.jpg
    This is from my daily journal which is 52gsm Tomoe River paper. The shimmer is intense with this ink, but when dry there is not smearing or smudging.

IMG_7121 ALL RHODIA (2).jpg

The shimmer is very apparent on Rhodia paper as expected. But with Fabriano the gold shimmer is a bit more subdued.

IMG_7119 FAB.jpg

The dries relatively quickly which surprised me. I thought it would take longer because it is a shimmer ink.

I've written with the ink all day, and have found it to be very well behaved. It is moderately dry, but I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the inexpensive memo paper or Cambridge notebook paper that I tried it on. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper. And as I already mentioned there is no smudging or smearing when dry.

This is an interesting ink, but certainly not for everyday use. I think this looks best on bright white paper where the brilliant contrast can be seen. But then again, others may prefer it on ivory paper.

And since I am a doodler, I did a quick little sketch using both Ash (Day 3) and Tempest (Day 4):

IMG_7122.jpg

Note: Because I want to enjoy the inks on a daily basis and not spoil the surprise, the daily ink is filled in the pen in the morning and I write with the ink all day. As a result, they may look different than they would if they were to "age" in the pen a few days. Also, I am very much of an amateur photographer. All photos are taken under LED lighting and have not been retouched or altered.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

amk (December 7th, 2021), damfino (December 5th, 2021), Detman101 (December 6th, 2021), junglejim (December 5th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 14th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 5th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 5th, 2021), Yazeh (December 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

This is the first year that I have jonesed for an ink calendar. I am enjoying your reviews. Thanks!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 5th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Just want to say that I enjoy your unveiling of these inks.

I am more into vintage pen restoration, but I love the variety of inks too.

So I am appreciative of other members in this forum who took the time to share their ink adventures
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

31. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 5th, 2021)

Thanks

Agreed, this is a magnificent display of inks that most of us would not normally get to see.
    Thank you all!
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

DAY 5 OF THE DIAMINE INKVENT CALENDAR: HARMONY

This is a Standard ink. It is a dark muted rose with a dusty purple undertone, reminescent of "old world" roses, ornaments for the tree, and ribbons and wrapping paper.

image_86395982-5626-4d5a-842d-074d4c50a5de-scaled.jpg

Here is the ink written in my journal - 52 gsm Tomoe River paper with a Faber Castell Loom fountain pen with a broad nib. There is some nice shading, a tiny amount of sheen, shimmer, and no water resistance. The ink does dry fairly quickly though. The ink does not bleed and these is the usual showthrough on TR paper.

IMG_7138.jpg

Here is the ink on Fabriano Ecoqua paper.

IMG_7126 f.jpg

This had a slightly wet feel and was very smooth on all papers used.

Here it is on Rhodia Dot Grid paper:

IMG_7128 r.jpg

And here it is with the other Inkvent inks:

IMG_7130.jpg

As with the other Inkvent inks, I wrote with this pen all day and found the ink to be very pleasant and easy on the eyes and well behaved. I did not see any feathering or bleedthrough on any of the papers used, including the inexpensive memo paper that I tried it on. There is no showthrough on the Rhodia and Fabriano papers, and only the normal amount on the 52gsm Tomoe River paper.

On off-white, or ivory paper, this ink has a vintage look. One white paper it seems more muted, dusty purple.

Overall, I like this ink, but it is very close to others that I have.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

amk (December 7th, 2021), Detman101 (December 8th, 2021), junglejim (December 7th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 7th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 6th, 2021), Yazeh (December 7th, 2021)