Thread: Trouble Filling Pineider Mystery Filler

Thanks

Default Trouble Filling Pineider Mystery Filler

I'm having trouble filling a new Pineider Mystery Filler and wanted to reach out for help. Admittedly this is my first piston filler and I likely should have started with a TWSBI but I came across a deal, yadda yadda.

I started by dipping the nib up to the breather hole in ink and retracting the piston and got nothing. As I tried again and dipped the nib further into the ink I started to get a few drops in the reservoir, along with a gurgling sound. When I would push the piston back out to try again, I got air bubbles from the base of the feed. I tightened the feed into the grip section a bit but this didn't change anything. It wasn't until I dipped the nib almost all the way down to the base of the grip section that I got a decent fill.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

Default Re: Trouble Filling Pineider Mystery Filler

You are not doing anything wrong. You need to dip the nib into the bottle to past the entire nib and slightly on to the section. The reason is that on the feed side at the base there is a small hole. This hole is where the ink is sucked up into the pen. So this hole needs to be entirely submerged into the ink in order to get a good fill. Then, after to you have filled your pen, take a tissue or cloth and gently wipe off any ink that remains on the section. This should resolve your issues.

Take a look at this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_CKbSpJC1Q&t=402s

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

SManZ (December 4th, 2021), Yazeh (December 4th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Trouble Filling Pineider Mystery Filler

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    You are not doing anything wrong. You need to dip the nib into the bottle to past the entire nib and slightly on to the section. The reason is that on the feed side at the base there is a small hole. This hole is where the ink is sucked up into the pen. So this hole needs to be entirely submerged into the ink in order to get a good fill. Then, after to you have filled your pen, take a tissue or cloth and gently wipe off any ink that remains on the section. This should resolve your issues.

Take a look at this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_CKbSpJC1Q&t=402s
    Thank you very much for the help! The next fill will be done more confidently with this information I'm sure!