Thread: Stub-Nib Ink Review: "Kobe - Shioya Vintage Sepia"

Thanks

Default Stub-Nib Ink Review: "Kobe - Shioya Vintage Sepia"

"I can only improve my self, not the world."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 6th, 2021), junglejim (December 7th, 2021), mizgeorge (December 6th, 2021), Robert (December 6th, 2021), Yazeh (December 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Re: Stub-Nib Ink Review: "Kobe - Shioya Vintage Sepia"

Interesting ink. Love your minimalistic and to the point review
    I guess you didn't get your flex stub?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 7th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Interesting ink. Love your minimalistic and to the point review
    I guess you didn't get your flex stub?

Thank you
    Technically I did get the flexy stub, it was just TOO flexy. I bought a steel 1.1 flex stub from FPNIBS in Spain expecting a stub with slight flex like I requested when talking with Pablo. What I received is a wet noodle 1.1 Stub that flexes so well that it doesn't perform as a stub. Unfortunately, that is not what I needed.
    So...I've purchased the PenRealm 1.1 Stub with Tomahawk cuts as of yesterday. Hopefully that will be a stub with slight flex...as I have been requesting from vendors.
    I'm seriously not expecting to find what I'm looking for though. I'll have to make it myself like everything else...
    I don't know why I bother wasting money when no one can ever meet my highly specific needs but me...Guess that's the definition of my insanity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 7th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Welcome back Detman101. Was wondering if you were okay since you hadn't posted for a while. Lovely review of a nice ink. I use De Atramentis Sepia Brown, which looks much like your color and also without shading as far as I can tell with my narrow nibs.

link: https://vanness1938.com/collections/...rd-sepia-brown

I'm sure Kirk Speer can grind you want you whatever you want if you give him enough information and $$$, LOL. He created a great and smoothish needlepoint with a .23mm line, using J. Herbin Perle Noire on Clairfontaine paper with the light pressure and low angle (35 degrees) that I write at. [ That's the kind of information Kirk needs to get it right. ]

All the Best.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you much JungleJim! I'm still around, I've just been a bit...down...over my temporary loss of flex ability. I still love fountain pens and I've found a second love with this 1.1 Stub....but my heart is still with flex.
    I've sent Kirk a long email with my needs and he suggested starting with the 1.1 Tomahawk Stub.
    If that's not flexy enough I'll send it back to him to have him scallop the tines enough to get it to flex juuuuuust a little without losing the rigidity of the stub ability.
    I care more about the smooth stub function than the flex function...flex is always scratchy. Well, at least it has been in my limited experience. Maybe once I get a Montblanc 149-calligraphy I'll know what buttery smooth flex is like...hahahha.
    I reckon this is part of the journey...and journeys take time.
    Thank you for the guidance and encouragement.

Thanks for the info link on that Sepia Brown ink! You're right, it DOES look a lot like the "Kobe - Shioya Vintage Sepia". Is that "Sepia Brown" ink very well lubricated?
    The "Kobe - Shioya Vintage Sepia" is good...mid-level lubrication...but I think about "Kobe - Nada Brown" and how teflon-silky it is...whoowee...like writing with brown melted butter!!
    Last edited by Detman101; December 7th, 2021 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Thank you for doing such a great "stub" review. Those of us who love stubs, but aren't into flex nibs, appreciate all of the time and effort that went into this. And I really love Kobe inks. This one is nice, but isn't a color that I would normally use.

Actually, recently I purchased two Pineider Bellezzas with 1.1 stub "quill" nibs. They both have a slight bit of flex to them, but they are nicely springy. I also purchased a third pen with medium quill nib. Again, it is somewhat flexy, which is quite nice, but I was after the "springiness" of the nib.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Thank you for doing such a great "stub" review. Those of us who love stubs, but aren't into flex nibs, appreciate all of the time and effort that went into this. And I really love Kobe inks. This one is nice, but isn't a color that I would normally use.

Actually, recently I purchased two Pineider Bellezzas with 1.1 stub "quill" nibs. They both have a slight bit of flex to them, but they are nicely springy. I also purchased a third pen with medium quill nib. Again, it is somewhat flexy, which is quite nice, but I was after the "springiness" of the nib.
    My pleasure! Thank you for appreciating the posting!
    Thank you for the info on the flexy stub nib Pneider pens. I was looking at their pens for some reason or another last week...I think it was due to a new model being released or a sale or black friday or something...
    I will definitely have to give them a deeper consideration if this "Penrealm Tomahawk-Stub" isn't able to be worked into what I need.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Detman101--- In reply to the question of De Atramentis Sepia, I found the ink to be medium in lubrication using western fine-EF nibs on Clairfontaine paper. Most Japanese inks I've written with were formulated to be very lubricated ( As slippery as wet catshit on a tile floor ) due to Japanese people using Japanese fine/EF nibs to write kanji. The MF/M/Broad/Music nibs tend to be bought overseas.

Just my 2 pence...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 8th, 2021), DrPenfection (December 8th, 2021), Yazeh (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Detman101--- In reply to the question of De Atramentis Sepia, I found the ink to be medium in lubrication using western fine-EF nibs on Clairfontaine paper. Most Japanese inks I've written with were formulated to be very lubricated ( As slippery as wet catshit on a tile floor ) due to Japanese people using Japanese fine/EF nibs to write kanji. The MF/M/Broad/Music nibs tend to be bought overseas.

Just my 2 pence...
    ROFL...best laugh I've had all day...thank you!
    Good info, thank you. I'll definitely pick up a bottle of that Sepia Brown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    ( As slippery as wet catshit on a tile floor )
    You sound as one who has had particularly experience with this.