Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    How does one go about attaching a photo to a private message?
    I am not seeing an the opportunity to use the same process which is in place for attaching a photo to a formal post.

    The photos I want to attach are ones which I have taken and are sitting on my hard drive. They are not on the Internet and so they have no URL.


    Thanks for any help or guidance.

  2. #2
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    I've had a go at doing this so that I could find a way to answer.

    In order to send an image from your computer in a PM I believe you need to already have it as one of your Attachments. These are accessed from the left hand column of your Settings page. Then you can easily copy the link for that Attachment and add it to a PM using the Insert Image box along the row above the PM box. 3rd from the right.

    If you don't already have it as one of your Attachments then first you need the image uploaded via the Manage Attachments box that you can see below the post when you're submitting a post or a reply to a post. For this you need to add it as an Attachment using the Manage Attachments box and use it in a post or it will disappear after an hour.

    What I would do if I wanted to send an image I didn't already have as an Attachment in my Settings is to go to a previous post of mine, then click Edit Post and add the image to that post in the normal way using the Manage Attachments box. Once I had sent it as a PM and no longer needed it I could then go back to my Attachments and delete it whenever I wanted to.

    Be sure to click Preview Message before you Send it to check that your image is there.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 8th, 2021 at 02:30 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (December 8th, 2021), ethernautrix (December 8th, 2021), Yazeh (December 8th, 2021)

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Hi Chrissy and THANKS!!
    It worked!!
    But, wow, that's complicated!!
    Needless to say, I've saved your instructions as a document on my hard drive.
    I appreciate your efforts.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (December 8th, 2021)

  6. #4
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Phew! Thank goodness for that. It's actually just a case of using the Manage Attachment feature to make a URL for your image on FPG.

    On looking at my attachments I spotted that I'm using 531Mb to store 901 uploaded attachments. I need to do a clear out.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 8th, 2021 at 09:28 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (December 8th, 2021)

  8. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Correct!
    What a nice and concise way to describe what you have discovered.

    The complicated part is figuring out that it is the way to get photos on to a PM. That part took some real expertise and ingenuity. I never, ever would have come up with it!!

    Thanks again!

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (December 9th, 2021)

  10. #6
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,249
    Thanks
    4,649
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Does it have to be as an attachment? Could it be as the code [img][/img] ? That's if you have a 'place' for your pictures, like flickr used to be.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  11. #7
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Does it have to be as an attachment? Could it be as the code [img][/img] ? That's if you have a 'place' for your pictures, like flickr used to be.
    No it has to be a URL first. That's what the Manage Attachments feature does.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  12. #8
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,249
    Thanks
    4,649
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    How are PMs different from regular posts for placing images?



    Here, just grabbing something from one of our pictures elsewhere.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  13. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    How are PMs different from regular posts for placing images?



    Here, just grabbing something from one of our pictures elsewhere.

    I assume the "Go Advanced" button was how you initiated the posting of your photo here? (And then you went on to the Attachment Manager, etc.)

    Try going to the PM section and composing a new PM to someone. You will not find the same "Go Advanced" button to be present as it is here and so photo attachments cannot be accomplished using this same process.

    Until Chrissy provided her solution, I could not figure out the mechanics of how to make it work.

    Of course, if you have some other way to get it to work, it would be wonderful if you could post the steps.

  14. #10
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,249
    Thanks
    4,649
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Nope, not Go Advanced. Just Quick Reply.

    No Attachment. Just grabbing one of my pictures hosted on something like flickr, and using this:

    [Img][/img]

    You copy the https etc of the image and then paste it between the brackets.

    Before:

    [Img][/img]

    After:



    I know I'm not explaining this well, but it's not an attachment. And there's no Go Advanced needed. If you have an image hosting account, and can copy and paste the picture's 'address,' that's how you do it.

    Or at least that's how we do it. Does this help any?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (December 8th, 2021)

  16. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Nope, not Go Advanced. Just Quick Reply.

    No Attachment. Just grabbing one of my pictures hosted on something like flickr, and using this:

    [Img][/img]

    You copy the https etc of the image and then paste it between the brackets.

    Before:

    [Img][/img]

    After:



    I know I'm not explaining this well, but it's not an attachment. And there's no Go Advanced needed. If you have an image hosting account, and can copy and paste the picture's 'address,' that's how you do it.

    Or at least that's how we do it. Does this help any?
    Thanks for the explanation. Yes, it helps!
    This works well for those with an image hosting account, for sure. But, not all do.

    I'm still not sure if it will work in the Private Message area.
    Would you mind jumping over to the PM area and see if it works there.....if you need to do a test, feel free to PM me.

  17. #12
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanks
    7,115
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 3,649 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    For anyone who posts in internet forums, it is really in your best interest to decide on one of the free photo hosting sites and upload your pootos there. Flickr has been mentioned, I've been using Imgur for quite a few years. Once your photo is there, you can get a link that you can use *anywhere* that an image file can be inserted into the text of a post or message, and you don't have to worry about your photo being hosted on a place like FPG, which can be flakey and may go away at any day. And you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops:

    • Retrieve URL from image hosting site
    • click on whatever "insert image" button is on a particular site/forum
    • paste URL.

    Honestly, it is the easiest thing to do and all of your images - for posting or other use - are all in one location. If I were to only use the attachments function, I wouldn't be able to (or at least easily) share the photo on other sites as well. Other nice aspects of a place like Imgur is you upload one photo, but it then allows you to link to that photo in a variety of sizes, which means you don't have to do any cropping, etc. (example below of a smaller version of a photo I posted here a week ago or so, all from the same hosting site):


    Just another alternative, hopefully helpful.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; December 8th, 2021 at 04:17 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  18. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    For anyone who posts in internet forums, it is really in your best interest to decide on one of the free photo hosting sites and upload your pootos there. Flickr has been mentioned, I've been using Imgur for quite a few years. Once your photo is there, you can get a link that you can use *anywhere* that an image file can be inserted into the text of a post or message, and you don't have to worry about your photo being hosted on a place like FPG, which can be flakey and may go away at any day. And you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops:

    • Retrieve URL from image hosting site
    • click on whatever "insert image" button is on a particular site/forum
    • paste URL.

    Honestly, it is the easiest thing to do and all of your images - for posting or other use - are all in one location. If I were to only use the attachments function, I wouldn't be able to (or at least easily) share the photo on other sites as well. Other nice aspects of a place like Imgur is you upload one photo, but it then allows you to link to that photo in a variety of sizes, which means you don't have to do any cropping, etc. (example below of a smaller version of a photo I posted here a week ago or so, all from the same hosting site):


    Just another alternative, hopefully helpful.
    Your overly pedantic post is dead wrong, as usual.
    I agree, it might be in the "best interest" of some who post in internet forums to have such an account but it is simply wrong to say it is in the "best interest" of anyone who does so.

  19. #14
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanks
    7,115
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 3,649 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Your overly pedantic post is dead wrong, as usual.
    I agree, it might be in the "best interest" of some who post in internet forums to have such an account but it is simply wrong to say it is in the "best interest" of anyone who does so.
    Hmm. Maybe I should have said something like "helpful to many in this situation" or something. Probably still would have left ample room for you to complain. I really was, just like Chrissy, trying to help out with some other ideas, but you have your issues.

    Boy, I had a great image to post, too.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  20. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked 235 Times in 133 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    Your overly pedantic post is dead wrong, as usual.
    I agree, it might be in the "best interest" of some who post in internet forums to have such an account but it is simply wrong to say it is in the "best interest" of anyone who does so.
    Hmm. Maybe I should have said something like "helpful to many in this situation" or something. Probably still would have left ample room for you to complain. I really was, just like Chrissy, trying to help out with some other ideas, but you have your issues.

    Boy, I had a great image to post, too.
    Yep, I have issues. But they pale in comparison to yours.

  21. #16
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanks
    7,115
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 3,649 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Hahaha, good one.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  22. #17
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    How are PMs different from regular posts for placing images?

    Here, just grabbing something from one of our pictures elsewhere.
    Yes that would have been easy. The difference is that when posting or editing a post you can scroll down to the Manage Attachments box and upload an image. It's not there in a PM.

    You're attaching images from a hosting site that has already made them into URL's exactly like the Manage Attachments box does on FPG.

    724Seney specifically said he wanted to attach an image that doesn't have a URL from his computer. Not one from any image hosting site that already has a URL. In order to work out the solution to his problem I needed to go to send a PM on FPG and add an image to it that is only on my computer.

    I don't add images from image hosting sites to my posts. I don't need to as they can all be added as Attachments on here.

    It's fine to use image hosting sites if you want to, but go have a quick look at the Ink Review Index over on FPN. It's quite hard to find an ink review with any images since many members who used Photobucket lost their images. Other members deleted their images from wherever they were hosted so they aren't there either. All of my FPG attachments are here in my Settings and they have URL's. It's just like a free hosting site but I don't need to log on anywhere else. And they won't disappear from my posts on FPG unless I specifically come here and delete them.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 9th, 2021 at 12:30 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (December 9th, 2021)

  24. #18
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    For anyone who posts in internet forums, it is really in your best interest to decide on one of the free photo hosting sites and upload your pootos there. Flickr has been mentioned, I've been using Imgur for quite a few years. Once your photo is there, you can get a link that you can use *anywhere* that an image file can be inserted into the text of a post or message, and you don't have to worry about your photo being hosted on a place like FPG, which can be flakey and may go away at any day. And you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops:

    • Retrieve URL from image hosting site
    • click on whatever "insert image" button is on a particular site/forum
    • paste URL.

    Honestly, it is the easiest thing to do and all of your images - for posting or other use - are all in one location. If I were to only use the attachments function, I wouldn't be able to (or at least easily) share the photo on other sites as well. Other nice aspects of a place like Imgur is you upload one photo, but it then allows you to link to that photo in a variety of sizes, which means you don't have to do any cropping, etc. (example below of a smaller version of a photo I posted here a week ago or so, all from the same hosting site):

    Just another alternative, hopefully helpful.
    That is the other alternative and being able to post smaller versions of images on here would be great as there are so many huge images on FPG that would have probably been better if posted as smaller images.

    However, IMHO it isn't any easier than the Manage Attachments feature for posting images from your computer on here, and I suppose, technically you could post an attachment from FPG onto a post that was somewhere else because it has a URL just like one from an image hosting site does. Don't think I've ever tried that though.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (December 9th, 2021)

  26. #19
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanks
    7,115
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 3,649 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    However, IMHO it isn't any easier than the Manage Attachments feature for posting images from your computer on here, and I suppose, technically you could post an attachment from FPG onto a post that was somewhere else because it has a URL just like one from an image hosting site does. Don't think I've ever tried that though.
    If you had tried it, though, you might have noticed the following: the attachment is put into a post or message via php code and does not have a distinct image format URL. I just added an attachment to a post and then right-clicked on the image and selected "Copy Image Link". Instead of a URL ending in .jpg or other image format, you see the following (not a link, just text for now):

    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65544&d=1639036469

    So you couldn't link to an image that has been added as an attachment, just as you couldn't even place that link into an "insert image" command here on FPG. I don't know where the images are stored on the FPG site in the attachment system, but you are limited as to how many you can upload and can only utilize them through the built-in PHP code. It certainly works well enough if you only want to post something here.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; December 9th, 2021 at 08:32 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  27. #20
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,239
    Thanks
    5,183
    Thanked 8,260 Times in 3,290 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Attaching Photos To A Private Message

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If you had tried it, though, you might have noticed the following: the attachment is put into a post or message via php code and does not have a distinct image format URL. I just added an attachment to a post and then right-clicked on the image and selected "Copy Image Link". Instead of a URL ending in .jpg or other image format, you see the following (not a link, just text for now):

    So you couldn't link to an image that has been added as an attachment, just as you couldn't even place that link into an "insert image" command here on FPG. I don't know where the images are stored on the FPG site in the attachment system, but you are limited as to how many you can upload and can only utilize them through the built-in PHP code. It certainly works well enough if you only want to post something here.
    Seney's problem was solved by adding an Attachment that had had it's link copied then pasted using the Insert Image box in his PM.

    Now I just want to check out if I can add one of my current FPG Attachments into a post on FPG by using only the Insert Image link here since you suggest that won't work. I have currently clicked on my Attachment that then opened in a separate window, and copied the link from the top bar, and I'm pasting it in the Insert Image box 3rd box from right above this post. For sure I'm not right clicking and copying but going to the attachment, clicking on it, then copying the contents of the top bar.



    It definitely works on FPG for sure. This is exactly how it worked in a PM too.

    This is what I copied from the top bar "https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=65388&d=1638531899"

    The Insert Image box puts the [IMG] code around it and pastes it as an image.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 9th, 2021 at 01:44 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (December 9th, 2021)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •