Thread: Customs Fees on a Japanese Pen?

Thanks

Default Customs Fees on a Japanese Pen?

Hello-

I've never purchased a pen from a Japanese seller. I am looking at a Platinum 3776 being sold on fleabay by a Japanese seller. The listing states customs fees would be my responsibility. Is that true/ If so, how are they collected/paid? How much would the fees be?

Any help would be appreciated>

Or perhaps I should just limit my interest to US sellers.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Customs Fees on a Japanese Pen?

If you are in the US, anything under US$800 is Customs-free. Doesn't matter whether the pen is new or used. If the shipper is using a Courier such as Fedex, DHL, or UPS then anything $800 or over will automatically be charged a Customs fee + a handling fee that the respective shipper adds in, usually around US$16-19. For USPS, they generally don't charge unless the package is over US$1000 since it's not worth their time.

All the Best.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

KBeezie (December 9th, 2021), LarryinIowa (December 12th, 2021), Robert (December 8th, 2021), TFarnon (December 10th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

What JungleJim said. I've purchased several pens thru Rakutan when the global marketplace was still open, never been charged customs when shipped via EMS/Express (transfers over to USPS once it reaches the US). Never had the customs description or value altered even though there have been a few Japanese seller that would ask for my preference on what to call the item on the "Description" portion of the customs form, which I just usually keep it simple as "pen". It matters more in other countries such as the UK or Australia.

Also I don't know what the latest shipping regulations are in Japan, but I know a while back they suspended EMS shipping to the US (pandemic related I think).

Edit: As far as how customs is paid for, they'll usually hold it and you can collect it when you pay the fee.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I am so envious of how this happens for you all in the US. You are very fortunate to get this.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I am so envious of how this happens for you all in the US. You are very fortunate to get this.
    Been noticing that over and over again over the years. Hear horror stories all the time from UK and AUS buyers.

But at least I haven't heard of either UK or AUS buyers having their Graf Von Faber-Castell Pen of the Year box having holes drilled into it to check for drugs and what not before arriving at the buyer.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Been noticing that over and over again over the years. Hear horror stories all the time from UK and AUS buyers.

But at least I haven't heard of either UK or AUS buyers having their Graf Von Faber-Castell Pen of the Year box having holes drilled into it to check for drugs and what not before arriving at the buyer.
    I haven't heard of that happening here either. I did once find the heel tips had been removed from my shoes when I arrived back home from my holiday in Florida. Quite costly to have all of them replaced here.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Maybe I have been kucky but the only 2 times I ordered pens from India and Japan I was never charged a penny by UK customs. I was charged once when ordered from Italy though. Another time no charge at all. I always choose local mail providers when offered I try to avoid all couriers as they are thieves in my opinion! Marco