Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darker burgundy

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Darker burgundy

Can anyone recommend an ink produced by a major manufacturer that is essentially a darker version of Diamine's Syrah? Not Noodlers.

I put F-C black cherry next to Syrah because samples of it are making the rounds (see Yazeh's ink review).

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 81329AM.png

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 29th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Darker burgundy

Writers Blood?
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 8th, 2021), damfino (December 21st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Why not go for Merlot? or KwZ Brown Pink
    Last edited by Yazeh; December 8th, 2021 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

In your swab images Syrah looks about as dark as you can go and still see red.
    I would also suggest Diamine Writer's Blood or Burgundy Royale, or maybe Noel? Cult Pens Deep Dark Red or Iridescink Tammy. Or why not make your own Binder Burgundy? Here are a few more:

Dark reds.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 16th, 2021 at 02:37 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (December 9th, 2021), damfino (December 21st, 2021), pajaro (January 6th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 8th, 2021)

Thanks

Syrah sure looks dark with Writer's Blood only marginally darker. Maybe de Atramentis black red?

Thanks

I was going to suggest RO Maroon 1789 but I don't have Syrah to compare it to. Take a look at the swatch comparison pic here: https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/20...o-6-adzukiiro/

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Well, Syrah is still on top when suggestions are juxtaposed. Typical of maroons, Robert Oster's Maroon is too brown. de Atramentis black-red isn't available on the same ink swatch webpage. Perhaps a small custom mix in a vial by adding a drop of black to Syrah will be my answer, and I may end up preferring it as is.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 54507AM.png

Anderson's has about 75 inks in the burgundy category with Syrah, so running down the whole list of swatches (only five can show at a time) would require some brain-dead time. At pen shows, they have loose-leaf notebooks of swatches, the best method to make choices.

Thanks

I believe Binder's Burgundy is a 50/50 mix of Waterman Purple added to Sheaffer Red. Adding very slightly more purple or a spot or two of black surely gets you to the shade you want in just the same way as a manufacturer does it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Well, Syrah is still on top when suggestions are juxtaposed. Typical of maroons, Robert Oster's Maroon is too brown. de Atramentis black-red isn't available on the same ink swatch webpage. Perhaps a small custom mix in a vial by adding a drop of black to Syrah will be my answer, and I may end up preferring it as is.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 54507AM.png

Anderson's has about 75 inks in the burgundy category with Syrah, so running down the whole list of swatches (only five can show at a time) would require some brain-dead time. At pen shows, they have loose-leaf notebooks of swatches, the best method to make choices.
    Of Syrah and Writer's Blood, which is the best shader?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

In my experience Syrah doesn't shade.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (December 9th, 2021)

Thanks

You can also go for Robert Oster Australian Syrah

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.23.39 AM.jpg

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 21st, 2021), FredRydr (December 21st, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 21st, 2021)

Thanks

I shouldn't read these ink articles....I find I need darker burgandies than the couple I have.....that oddly I don't use much anyway.

I think I have three, one for sure is a DA.....one of the other ones might be too, but is not burgundy; but a local Heidelberg red wine...ink.
    Had only two....MB Collodi was to me just a too red to be brown ink.

I think I feared the red of burgundy, Bordeaux and other red inks as damaging to my ink window piston pens, so never got into that shade of ink.

OK one was not a Burgundy, DA Bordeauxrote...The other DA ink is Winegute Clauer Spaeteburgunder; I got 3/4ths full somewhere dirt cheap or for free. (A burgundy, and it don't appear dark at all. I'd thought it's ink bottle color very similar to the Bordeaux.)

I have 95% piston pens, so I don't use my converters enough it looks like. In I doubt if I tried that Spaetburgunder and would have to do the CC tricks, or wash out my piston pen after every use like when using purple.

I am striving to stay at 7 or under pens inked. I have 8. But I excuse my self in I had to ink a wet noodle with R&K Salix, to check it against my pre'24 MB Safety pen with its weak kneed wet noodle.

I often had 17 pens inked, because I visited ink sections, saying 'Oh, I've that ink. Haven't used it in ages."
    With so many pens inked, one doesn't really use up much ink in the long run.

I have reached the age where I will never use up all the inks I have; so I might as well buy more. And I do have converters I can stick in my cartridge pens....or needle load them. Those dark burgundies woke an interest I didn't have before now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Shakespeare and Bach look darkity-dark.

Above all, do not look at THIS site.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

Detman101 already did that.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 22nd, 2021 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Shakespeare and Bach look darkity-dark.

Why not?

Thanks

You might look at Bungu Box Clown Teardrop. It's a favorite maroon of mine, but I can't say it's darker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    You might look at Bungu Box Clown Teardrop. It's a favorite maroon of mine, but I can't say it's darker.
    I do have a bottle of that ink sitting on my desk now in the line up to be used, although at this point I've only dipped it.

With that said, given that "Ruby" is one of the alternate names(or perhaps in the sometimes less than great translations that come through it's part of the name) I wonder if, in the vein of First Love Sapphire, it's inspired by Penman Ruby. I'll get off my lazy rear end in a little while and pull my swatch cards, but when I made up the one for Clown Tears, even though I was sort of looking for the connection, I feel like it was there. I do have two bottles of Penman Ruby and it really is a lovely ink and is a nice but very interesting and like the other Penman inks is a "deep"(in terms of color variation, not necessarily hue) color. I honestly think that as that goes, Penman Ruby may be the most interesting/complex of the entire line.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post

I do have a bottle of that ink sitting on my desk now in the line up to be used, although at this point I've only dipped it.

With that said, given that "Ruby" is one of the alternate names(or perhaps in the sometimes less than great translations that come through it's part of the name) I wonder if, in the vein of First Love Sapphire, it's inspired by Penman Ruby. I'll get off my lazy rear end in a little while and pull my swatch cards, but when I made up the one for Clown Tears, even though I was sort of looking for the connection, I feel like it was there. I do have two bottles of Penman Ruby and it really is a lovely ink and is a nice but very interesting and like the other Penman inks is a "deep"(in terms of color variation, not necessarily hue) color. I honestly think that as that goes, Penman Ruby may be the most interesting/complex of the entire line.
    If I were a betting person, I might suggest than when Fred asked for a recommendation of an ink produced by a major manufacturer that is essentially a darker version of Diamine Syrah, he had neither Bungu Box Clown Teardrop nor Parker Penman Ruby in mind but I could easily be wrong. LOL

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 28th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post

If I were a betting person, I might suggest than when Fred asked for a recommendation of an ink produced by a major manufacturer that is essentially a darker version of Diamine Syrah, he had neither Bungu Box Clown Teardrop nor Parker Penman Ruby in mind but I could easily be wrong. LOL

Well, looking at my swatch cards and the provided examples, I'd say both are at least equal if not a bit darker.

I think it's hard to argue that neither are produced by a major manufacturer as well. Penman could be discounted based on availability and current production, but Bungu Box IS made by Sailor, a company I'd consider a major manufacturer by any objective definition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Aside from those mentioned above, other "burgundies" to consider might include L'Artisan Pastellier Grenat (which may not be darker than D. Syrah) and Sailor Manyo Kuzu (which is more of a dark red). One of my favorite burgundy inks is not from a major manufacturer - Birmingham Pen Company Twilight. I also like Waterfront Dusk which is much darker and leans slightly purple.