Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,013 Posts

Default Re: Darker burgundy

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post

I do have a bottle of that ink sitting on my desk now in the line up to be used, although at this point I've only dipped it.

With that said, given that "Ruby" is one of the alternate names(or perhaps in the sometimes less than great translations that come through it's part of the name) I wonder if, in the vein of First Love Sapphire, it's inspired by Penman Ruby. I'll get off my lazy rear end in a little while and pull my swatch cards, but when I made up the one for Clown Tears, even though I was sort of looking for the connection, I feel like it was there. I do have two bottles of Penman Ruby and it really is a lovely ink and is a nice but very interesting and like the other Penman inks is a "deep"(in terms of color variation, not necessarily hue) color. I honestly think that as that goes, Penman Ruby may be the most interesting/complex of the entire line.
    If I were a betting person, I might suggest than when Fred asked for a recommendation of an ink produced by a major manufacturer that is essentially a darker version of Diamine Syrah, he had neither Bungu Box Clown Teardrop nor Parker Penman Ruby in mind but I could easily be wrong. LOL

Well, looking at my swatch cards and the provided examples, I'd say both are at least equal if not a bit darker.

I think it's hard to argue that neither are produced by a major manufacturer as well. Penman could be discounted based on availability and current production, but Bungu Box IS made by Sailor, a company I'd consider a major manufacturer by any objective definition.
    I didn't come here to argue. I came to post my opinion.

While Bungu Box ink is made by Sailor, it's availability isn't on anywhere near the same scale as Sailor inks so it's not really very like an ink produced by a major manufacturer.
    Parker Penman Ruby hasn't been in current production by a major manufacturer for over 20 years so can be discounted based on availability. I've personally seen several examples over my years of inks and fountain pens and although it's quite variable because it's such an old ink, I never saw one darker than Fred's swatch of Syrah.
    Last edited by Chrissy; March 9th, 2022 at 10:01 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 28th, 2021)