Thread: Well... at least I got the old sac out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Well... at least I got the old sac out

Knew that getting the section out was highly likely to result in a crack of some kind, since it was flat out glued, not rosin or shellac, but glue.

Went ahead and cleaned and polished it up, will likely use a dab of shellac (or rosin if it'll hold firm enough) when putting the section back in, since the broken part is glued firm to the grip and provides a guide to the aged orientation and can still smoothly thread the cap.

The nib and feed that someone attempted to put into it, isn't quite right (too much gap between nib front and feed) so likely if I want to make it work in this pen, instead of using the Wahl nib in a future body, I would have to heat set it.

If the barrel material is hard rubber as I suspect, and not some odd early plastic or celluloid, I'll likely use a PVC sac so that it'll be quite some time before needing to re-sac it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

amk (December 11th, 2021), Chuck Naill (December 12th, 2021), manoeuver (December 11th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 11th, 2021), Yazeh (December 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Well... at least I got the old sac out

That pen is WILD!
    If I had to pick a favorite feature it'd be a toss up between the material and the knurling on the fill lock ring.

Excellent work recovering from that heartbreaking crack.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    That pen is WILD!
    If I had to pick a favorite feature it'd be a toss up between the material and the knurling on the fill lock ring.

Excellent work recovering from that heartbreaking crack.
    The crack isn't fixed, it just fits back together seamlessly as the broken piece is still glued firmly to the section. I haven't re-sac'd or attempted to use shellac/rosin yet as I'm still deciding if I want to pursue it, or save the nib/feed since I would need to heat set it to get them to fit properly together (there's a decent gap between the bottom of the nib and the top of the feed, like I see when people just slip them into sections that didn't originally hold them).

There's also someone on reddit ( /r/fountainpengore ) that mentioned they not only had a replacement barrel (in brown swirl instead of green), but also the original glass nib sitting loose, but no cap. So there's also the decision of maybe I want to make it original with the glass nib, even if the color combo keeps it a frankenpen?

The good thing is though, if I do decide to just seal the section in, and use a PVC sac for longevity, I won't have any issues with the cap as the threads still seem perfectly lined up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 12th, 2021), Yazeh (December 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

It could have been far worse, so I'm happy for you. No matter what you put in the front, glass or metal nib, I really, really think you should keep this pen together. Don't Franken it with another barrel, this color is great and you can keep it together as a "look". I don't know that this pen has to end up as a user, it is a vibrant visual and tactile example of a unique niche in pendom.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 12th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    It could have been far worse, so I'm happy for you.
    Yep, I could feel the disconnect, then I looked and immediately my first thought was "oh... that's actually not that bad." Because I was already mentally prepared for the worst possibility.

Thanks

David (Nishimura) chimed in on facebook and mentioned the barrel is celluloid. So guess silicone it would have to be then if I don't want to have to open it back up in a while. Just not a fan of how its gas permeable and has a habit of burping when the diameter is smaller (cuz air can push up from the bottom if the ink doesn't drop).

Thanks

Spors is Restored.

I didn't use the nib I found with it, instead I put that Wahl #3 nib into my Wahl 421A as a test of how it writes, and I took an old "Warranted" 14K #3 nib I found in a eye dropper pen that I don't have a cap for, and heat set the nib/feed to close the gap between the feed and the nib.

The nib that I found with the Spors is on the Wahl 421A now, show in Iroshizku Syo-ro

Now to see if I can find the slip-on clip.
    Last edited by KBeezie; December 12th, 2021 at 08:16 AM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 12th, 2021), Pterodactylus (December 12th, 2021), Yazeh (December 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Gosh that came out well!
    Dibs if you ever decide to sell it, k?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post
    Gosh that came out well!
    Dibs if you ever decide to sell it, k?
    Funny already have people hitting me up lol because I mentioned I don't tend to keep around third tier pens. (But they didn't exactly say "dibs")

The generic nib I pulled from the older eye dropper pen has as tooth similar to like you'd expect of a comic nib, especially on that Environotes sugarcane paper (the 100% one not the 70/30% bio-blend crap), but on Rhodia feels like velvet and not glassy smooth. (the 'soft pencil', or velvet feel is what I like, but I don't care for Rhodia lol). That Wahl 3 though is glassy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

That crushing feeling when it all goes wrong. Stuff happens.

I was fortunate enough to find a vintage Kaweco Sport, model 712, which is an extremely rare model. It was a WWII souvenir sold after the grandfather died.

It had never been inked. It was as-new. A time capsule, of sorts. The only problem was that the piston shaft had disintegrated. It came apart easily, and I replaced the shaft and cork. When I went to screw the knob back in, the barrel cracked. No resistance, no warning. Just "crack". Insert Yosemite Sam expletives...

Nice pen.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    That crushing feeling when it all goes wrong. Stuff happens.

I was fortunate enough to find a vintage Kaweco Sport, model 712, which is an extremely rare model. It was a WWII souvenir sold after the grandfather died.

It had never been inked. It was as-new. A time capsule, of sorts. The only problem was that the piston shaft had disintegrated. It came apart easily, and I replaced the shaft and cork. When I went to screw the knob back in, the barrel cracked. No resistance, no warning. Just "crack". Insert Yosemite Sam expletives...

Nice pen.
    Reminds me of my first year doing restoration, had a nice Sheaffer Tuckaway, two-tone 14K triumph nib, sweet pristine metal cap with wavy chasing, red barrel... dropped the nib in the sink. Saved it... but the tipping got snapped off.

Thanks

Nice rescue - I might have some spare glass nibs. Let me know the ID of the section.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Apologies for my ignorance. If this is a Wahl, how come on the crescent bar is written made in Japan?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Apologies for my ignorance. If this is a Wahl, how come on the crescent bar is written made in Japan?
    You have not read the messages correctly (and I realize there is a lot of words in these...). The pen is indeed a Spors pen, made in Japan, and originally made with a glass nib instead of a steel or gold traditional nib. Someone prior to Karl had replaced the glass tip with a Wahl nib (and feed) and he has done some alterations there. This is most definitely NOT a Wahl pen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 12th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

You have not read the messages correctly (and I realize there is a lot of words in these...). The pen is indeed a Spors pen, made in Japan, and originally made with a glass nib instead of a steel or gold traditional nib. Someone prior to Karl had replaced the glass tip with a Wahl nib (and feed) and he has done some alterations there. This is most definitely NOT a Wahl pen.
    Thanks Jon. Makes senses. I didn't know of the Spots brand.
    Great job Karl.

Thanks

Thanks Jon. Makes senses. I didn't know of the Spots brand.
    Great job Karl.
    Not aware of any Wahl with crescent fillers either. I thought this was an obscure Conklin with a mismatched nib when I got it, didn't notice the engraving til I got out to the car in better light and was really confused by then.