Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Tomoe River Replacement

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2021
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Tomoe River Replacement

    I recently saw this post from FudeFan that Tomoe River paper has been resurrected. https://www.fudefan.com/2021/11/sanzen/ They said it'd be a few months before it hit the market, but I'm curious if it'll get picked up with the same vigor as TR. Do you think Nanami will replace the "new" Tomoe River with this Sanzen paper? I saw from Pen Chalet a while back that Endless Recorders will be made with Endless's own paper from now on...

    I only have two "old" Tomoe River notebooks left: a Goulet one for my ink log, and an Endless Recorder. I want to use the Endless Recorder, but I am also loathe to be left without a TR notebook...
    Another Pen Geek!
    www.peninvestigations.com

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to PenInvestigations For This Useful Post:

    vdiantonio (January 14th, 2022)

  3. #2
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    FYI: Bertram's Inkwell had piles of Tomoe on the shelves three weeks ago.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    PenInvestigations (December 12th, 2021)

  5. #3
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I was just informed by a penfriend that JetPens has Tomoe River stationary in stock. This is my first order from them, to be shipped at no charge from their store in California to Pennsylvania.

  6. #4
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,968
    Thanks
    4,915
    Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,215 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    When we all went for a look around Vanness Pens via the link at the Lone Star Pen Club meet they had many alternatives for Tomoe River and at the time they sold a pack of different papers to try out and see which one you liked best. If I was in the US that's what I would do. I have some TR paper left but have no idea which machine it was made on.

    It looks like the relaunched Sanzen TR might be just as good if not better so I'm looking forward to trying some out.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Lady Onogaro (May 21st, 2022), TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

  8. #5
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks
    619
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I have some packs of Tomoe River Successor (Sanzen). It is very good indeed. I still have a lot of original 52gsm Tomoe, which is my favourite paper, but Sanzen comes very very close. It is slightly less silky, but it’s a barely perceptible difference. The 52gsm Sanzen has less ghosting than Tomoe but lacks that characteristic crinkly feel. I have never liked the old 68gsm Tomoe, preferring Kokuyo KB-39N 64gsm paper, so I can’t compare Sanzen with that weight.

    There are a few sellers of the Yamamoto trial FP paper packs in the US & UK. Yamamoto also sell a wide range of papers direct from their Etsy store, including Sanzen Successor. There are also notebooks starting to appear featuring the Sanzen Successor. I’m waiting for delivery of a couple. They are B6 rather than A5.

  9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2022), Lady Onogaro (May 21st, 2022), sospiro (May 15th, 2022), TSherbs (May 15th, 2022)

  10. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    222
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 103 Times in 63 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I have some packs of Tomoe River Successor (Sanzen). It is very good indeed. I still have a lot of original 52gsm Tomoe, which is my favourite paper, but Sanzen comes very very close. It is slightly less silky, but it’s a barely perceptible difference. The 52gsm Sanzen has less ghosting than Tomoe but lacks that characteristic crinkly feel. I have never liked the old 68gsm Tomoe, preferring Kokuyo KB-39N 64gsm paper, so I can’t compare Sanzen with that weight.
    .
    Out of curiosity, do you have any of the "new" Tomoe River?

    When I first heard of the stuff and started buying it maybe in late 2020 or so(or around then) the "new" Tomoe River was already out and people were criticizing it for being less crinkly. I later realized that all those A4 and A5 hundred-packs and writing pads I'd bought on Amazon were actually the old paper per the SKU, but do have some notebooks that should have new paper.

    I'm wondering if the Sanzen you reference is the same as the "new" TR that had people so upset a few years ago.

  11. #7
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks
    619
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    .
    Out of curiosity, do you have any of the "new" Tomoe River?

    When I first heard of the stuff and started buying it maybe in late 2020 or so(or around then) the "new" Tomoe River was already out and people were criticizing it for being less crinkly. I later realized that all those A4 and A5 hundred-packs and writing pads I'd bought on Amazon were actually the old paper per the SKU, but do have some notebooks that should have new paper.

    I'm wondering if the Sanzen you reference is the same as the "new" TR that had people so upset a few years ago.
    No, I don’t have any of the replacement “new” Tomoe from 2 years ago as I still have a lot of the original TR, in A4 and notebooks.

    The replacement TR was still made by Tomoegawa but on a different mill machine, and it wasn’t very successful.

    The Tomoe River Successor that is now available is made by a completely different manufacturer (Sanzen) and it is much better than the “interim” replacement Tomoe. Sanzen Successor is the result of much research and several trials with fountain pen users. I am very happy with it.

  12. #8
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I wonder what I'll end up with from JetPens. In any event, I don't have any of my old paper to compare, so I might be blissfully ignorant.

  13. #9
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks
    619
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I wonder what I'll end up with from JetPens. In any event, I don't have any of my old paper to compare, so I might be blissfully ignorant.
    I’d be surprised if JetPens are selling TR Successor (Sanzen) yet as it’s only recently starting to become more widely available in Japan. Unless, maybe, they’d pre-ordered it before trials had finished. I think it’s more likely that their Tomoe River is the interim ‘new’ Tomoe i.e. post-2020, but before March 2022.

  14. #10
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,190
    Thanks
    4,532
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I tried some Cosmo Air Light paper, scribbling in the margins of a pen pal letter to see how it performs. I fell for it, and ordered some, just when I swore off paper. I know it's not TRP, but it wowed me.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Zoe (May 18th, 2022)

  16. #11
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks
    619
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I tried some Cosmo Air Light paper, scribbling in the margins of a pen pal letter to see how it performs. I fell for it, and ordered some, just when I swore off paper. I know it's not TRP, but it wowed me.
    I find it closer to Midori MD. It does show off ink colours particularly well; I’m just not fond of the increased absorbency & very slightly ‘toothier’ texture, compared to TR Successor. I find it mutes shading marginally more too.

  17. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I have not been following any of the TR iterations as I have had a few in reserves. How does all of this effect the 68gsm variety? Is it discontinued too? Manufactured by someone else? Gone for good? Etc?

  18. #13
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,072
    Thanks
    7,047
    Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,619 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I have not been following any of the TR iterations as I have had a few in reserves. How does all of this effect the 68gsm variety? Is it discontinued too? Manufactured by someone else? Gone for good? Etc?
    All original TR paper production stopped a good while ago. Any that can be found is just stock that hasn't sold... yet.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  19. #14
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    This is the only identifying label on the two packets of loose sheets represented by JetPens as Tomoe River paper that arrived today. If it's different from what I had three years ago from Andersons, I'll never be able to tell.

    IMG_4871.jpg

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (May 18th, 2022)

  21. #15
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,190
    Thanks
    4,532
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    It does read 'Tomoe,' but that's as far as I got….

    Ok, first five characters, To Mo E Ri Ba.
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; May 19th, 2022 at 12:14 PM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  22. #16
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanks
    1,175
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 2,230 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I've started writing with it. It's okay. It's all right. It's blah. Oh come on, it's boring!

    Just what was I thinking?! 190 sheets to go and this will last me for a long time.

  23. #17
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,190
    Thanks
    4,532
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,184 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I tried some Cosmo Air Light paper, scribbling in the margins of a pen pal letter to see how it performs. I fell for it, and ordered some, just when I swore off paper. I know it's not TRP, but it wowed me.
    I find it closer to Midori MD. It does show off ink colours particularly well; I’m just not fond of the increased absorbency & very slightly ‘toothier’ texture, compared to TR Successor. I find it mutes shading marginally more too.
    After using Cosmo Air Light for a few letters, I find it has an almost crunchy texture. But I like what it does in the ink shading/sheen department.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!

    My eBooks. Because why not.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (June 6th, 2022)

  25. #18
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Just north of Area 51
    Posts
    3,014
    Thanks
    691
    Thanked 934 Times in 535 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've started writing with it. It's okay. It's all right. It's blah. Oh come on, it's boring!

    Just what was I thinking?! 190 sheets to go and this will last me for a long time.
    I read this and laughed. "New" Tomoe River paper is really rather boring. It lacks the unique behavior of original TR paper.

    I just ordered some of the new Sanzan TR paper as well as Cosmo Air Snow (white version of Cosmo Air Light). While I like Cosmo Air Light, I struggle with the "draggy" feel of the paper as I write. Otherwise, it is a very nice paper. But I loved the lightweight 52gsm TR paper!!!!

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (June 21st, 2022)

  27. #19
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,968
    Thanks
    4,915
    Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,215 Posts
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    I currently have some original TR 52gsm and 68gsm stock and would be quite interested in swapping a few sheets of old for new if anyone wanted to swap it simply as a letter in an envelope.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  28. #20
    Senior Member migo984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Global Nomad
    Posts
    2,602
    Thanks
    619
    Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,092 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Tomoe River Replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I've started writing with it. It's okay. It's all right. It's blah. Oh come on, it's boring!

    Just what was I thinking?! 190 sheets to go and this will last me for a long time.
    I read this and laughed. "New" Tomoe River paper is really rather boring. It lacks the unique behavior of original TR paper.

    I just ordered some of the new Sanzan TR paper as well as Cosmo Air Snow (white version of Cosmo Air Light). While I like Cosmo Air Light, I struggle with the "draggy" feel of the paper as I write. Otherwise, it is a very nice paper. But I loved the lightweight 52gsm TR paper!!!!
    I dislike Cosmo Air paper but am rather taken with Sanzen S (Successor). So much so that I’ve already stocked up with A4 sheets and two different sizes of notebooks. As well as some other FP-friendly Japanese papers I’ve still got plenty of the old TR 52gsm bulk purchase I made years back, so I’m settled paper-wise 🙂
    Last edited by migo984; June 21st, 2022 at 03:13 AM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

    sospiro (June 21st, 2022)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •