Thread: Glad I checked, Sac didn't last too long in the Wahl 421A

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Glad I checked, Sac didn't last too long in the Wahl 421A

Since I got that recent Spor with a Wahl 3 nib I remembered that my Wahl 421A (4" long barrel to nib tip, #2 nib, unique/checked pattern No.1, A for gold-filled) was debated as possibly being original with a #3 nib (but seem the clipped models could have came either #2 or #3 nib, because I know a 431 is a thing), I thought I would try it out.

On a hunch, I decided to check the sac since it's been sitting in a tray for a bout a year after briefly using it after a re-sac back in March 2020 where I put in a new #15 latex sac.

Well, I'm glad I did because I noticed a weird shift and deterioration in the sac itself by the nipple where it seems to have chemically ruptured to an almost sticky gummy consistency. That would have been a mess I wouldn't find until a few days of coating the inside of the barrel, if it didn't just drip right out the nib.

I know I sac'd this about 1.5 years ago because, I have a thread on her in March of 2020 inquiring about the sac size (which I used a #15 when I did it then).

Not sure what caused the death of this particular most recent sac, because by 2020 I knew not to use anything that was alkaline with it. The deteriorated part seems like a chemical rupture with an odd sharp bend probably pushed up from the pressure bar which would normally be pretty flushed at the same level as the sac nipple (made sure to re-anchor the pressure bar to the notch of the lever).

I went ahead and cleaned the nipple off and threw on one of the #14 PVC sacs intended for the Sheaffer Snorkels and Parker Slimfolds, etc with a lil bit of shellac, I prefer PVC over silicone when I can because it doesn't have a gas permeability trait, and I don't care about staining of a sac I can't see anyways.

Guessing the sac I used was already getting a bit aged by the time I installed it?
    Last edited by KBeezie; December 12th, 2021 at 03:51 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 12th, 2021), welch (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Default Re: Glad I checked, Sac didn't last too long in the Wahl 421A

I suggest you inspect the remaining sacs in that batch. Latex sacs are like tires; they deteriorate with time even if not installed. And who knows the manufacture dates? One of these days I'll research best storage practices (the fridge?). I used to throw out boxes of unused but aged latex gloves, probably hastened to their demise by less than ideal storage.
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 12th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

welch (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I suggest you inspect the remaining sacs in that batch. Latex sacs are like tires; they deteriorate with time even if not installed. And who knows the manufacture dates? One of these days I'll research best storage practices (the fridge?). I used to throw out boxes of unused but aged latex gloves, probably hastened to their demise by less than ideal storage.
    Yea that's pretty much most of my smaller end ones (#12 thru #15 of the latex). My later #17~#20 are from a much newer stock from pensacs.com. And I figured they aged even when not installed, just more quickly when installed and used.

I've looked at the older bunch and they 'appear' and feel fine the way they been stored, but I can't exactly remember where exactly I grabbed the #15 for that Wahl, such as perhaps I recycled it off another pen with the intention of ordering a new one when I didn't have it handy. (done that once or twice before...).

I usually keep them in the same kind of condition I keep my inks , in a cool, dry, and dark place. But not sure if that's "ideal" for latex sacs.

Btw the Wahl #3 off the Spors I got does pretty decently in there. Not used to the feeling since I expect to have a needlepoint semiflex when I always held that pen.

It's the Iroshizuku Syo-ro lines near the bottom of this picture :

Thanks

Gotta love reddit, in response to the same thread but posted on Reddit.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt that they changed the formula that causes the off gassing that attacks celluloid color, but the sacs are still going to rupture with age or with the wrong kind of ink.