Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Bad Taste Sell Pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

Default Does Bad Taste Sell Pens?

I get catalogs from a couple pen retailers and have noticed that mid-to-high priced pens seem to be getting uglier, more garish, and less like writing tools. One resembled a spaceship. Others feature excess decoration, scary colors, glitter, etc. I hesitate to post examples that might offend those who've bought the pens in question. So I'll pose this as a rather vague impression.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

pajaro (December 15th, 2021), Pendragon (January 9th, 2022), Scrawler (December 28th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (December 14th, 2021), welch (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Does Bad Taste Sell Pens?

Dude, I am entirely with you. And with that said, I know another pen discussion group that has a very high percentage of people going after these unbelievably butt-ugly pens, and they aren't cheap! It is what it is and having variety in the marketplace is common and good, but I will post only one actual opinion: the rise in these pens - and in ink formulations, etc - indicates the current faddish trend of fountain pens and related. "Oooh, shiny!" is the way, and shallow buyers are eating it up. People will look back on many of these pens and wonder wtf people were thinking.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 29th, 2021), Dreck (January 13th, 2022), eachan (December 14th, 2021), pajaro (December 15th, 2021), Pendragon (January 9th, 2022), welch (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks

Nice to know I'm not alone. In one sense, anyhow. A case in point (for $5000):

My tastes run to vintage or antique pens (when pens were pens!) or present-day makes with perennial designs such as Pelikan.

When I'm writing, I don't care to be distracted by my own pen.
    Last edited by Chip; December 13th, 2021 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

What the actual f.... Is that....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Stands on Feet (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks

Isn’t beauty subjective or , at best, individual?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,776 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    What the actual f.... Is that....
    A desk toy.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

One brand in particular always stands out: Montegrappa.

Chaos pen designed by Sylvester Stallone

Game of Thrones

My Guardian Angel

Montblanc won't miss an opportunity, either.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,470 Times in 1,739 Posts

That may be the worst thing I've ever seen.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

welch (December 30th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,229 Times in 2,251 Posts

Those are horrendous.....

Thanks

It's fun. The rocket ship would make me smile every day. Makes me think of those classic on style science fiction stories.

S T Dupont pens mke very good writers. Well balanced with nice nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

The Chaos pen has been out for a number of years. I always thought it was a joke and figured other people did, too. I recently have come across a person who not only sought one out for a good while, but is particularly proud of it and mentions it frequently. I'm glad it is just a casual, occasional online connection and they never see my face. These things are hideous.

And yea, taste is personal and individual. Well aware of that. How else to explain the many thousands of dollars that people drop on the clown pens from David Oscarson?

Circling back around...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Some of these are obviously intended primarily as objects of conspicuous consumption.

Some people really do like some of them.

As objects, I have no objection to them - people spend their money on worse things, much worse things.

I don't know how useful some of them are as writing instruments.

I have that Jinhao snake pen, which fills my need for this sort of thing and cost less than 50 bucks, but I don't do a lot of writing with it. It makes me happy.for me, for that item at that price given that I don't have a lot of things like that, it's good. Obviously the mileage on this topic is gonna va-a-a-a-ary.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

AzJon (December 29th, 2021), Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2021), Kaputnik (December 14th, 2021), penwash (December 14th, 2021), Scrawler (December 28th, 2021), worthyadvisor (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 699 Posts

I have actually bought two pens exactly because they were in such bad taste that I thought they were hilarious. The difference between them and the pens mentioned above is that they were both Jinhaos, costing between twelve and thirteen dollars each. That made paying for them a bit lest wasteful, although in principle, one could still criticize wasting small amounts of money on a joke.

The photo below was taken for a different pen forum and a discussion of pen weights, which explains the notes, and the pens I mean are the top and middle ones placed horizontally. The relief work on the "Copper Dragon" is not only over the top as decoration, but it makes the pen uncomfortable to hold for any extended writing session. The bad taste on the "Long Offspring" (I suspect that the name sounds better in Chinese) is more subdued, and it is more comfortable to hold, but that pocket clip is pretty tacky looking. Sorry that the picture is a little out of focus, although then again, that might actually be a good thing.

In fairness, both pens actually wrote quite well when I tried them out, and the Copper Dragon does have one feature that I like; the cap screws on in the posted position. Both of them, esthetics aside, are quite well made for this price level, and I don't really regret buying them, even if I never use them again. But I would not pay Montegrappa or Montblanc prices for something like this.

And yes, my taste does run to simplicity. About the fanciest pens that actually appeal to me are some of the vintage celluloid patterns, and I like the plainness of old BCHR pens.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

amk (December 29th, 2021), Morgaine (January 2nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (December 15th, 2021), Yazeh (December 14th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Garish clothing fashion sure makes a ton of $, so why wouldn't pens?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2021), Scrawler (December 28th, 2021), scrivelry (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks

There is no accounting for personal taste. That is probably a good thing. Otherwise many of us would be married to the same person.

A lot of the pens that have been posted in pictures here are (IMO) butt ugly, and I'd never own one, but who am I to judge what someone else likes?

No matter how strongly we may feel one way or the other about any one pen, there actually is no right or wrong. I happen to be crazy about Nakayas. I have had other people tell me they are boring and overpriced. They may well be full of stuff, but they are certainly entitled to their opinion, regardless of how wrong it may be.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whichwatch For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 14th, 2021), penwash (December 14th, 2021), scrivelry (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The rocket ship would make me smile every day.
    For $5 large, I could find quite a few cheaper ways to smile.

I'm not a saint or anchorite. I could drop quite a lot on good wine.

Thanks

I agree. I don't mind a mildly silly pen, especially at Jinhao prices. But at thousands of dollars, count me out.

Thanks

Were I ever to pick up a pen with decoration, maki-e or raden would be the only tasteful choices, but that's completely subjective. Give me simple elegance any day. I would not wish the word "chunky" to apply to my pens.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    I have actually bought two pens exactly because they were in such bad taste that I thought they were hilarious. The difference between them and the pens mentioned above is that they were both Jinhaos, costing between twelve and thirteen dollars each. That made paying for them a bit lest wasteful, although in principle, one could still criticize wasting small amounts of money on a joke.

The photo below was taken for a different pen forum and a discussion of pen weights, which explains the notes, and the pens I mean are the top and middle ones placed horizontally. The relief work on the "Copper Dragon" is not only over the top as decoration, but it makes the pen uncomfortable to hold for any extended writing session. The bad taste on the "Long Offspring" (I suspect that the name sounds better in Chinese) is more subdued, and it is more comfortable to hold, but that pocket clip is pretty tacky looking. Sorry that the picture is a little out of focus, although then again, that might actually be a good thing.

In fairness, both pens actually wrote quite well when I tried them out, and the Copper Dragon does have one feature that I like; the cap screws on in the posted position. Both of them, esthetics aside, are quite well made for this price level, and I don't really regret buying them, even if I never use them again. But I would not pay Montegrappa or Montblanc prices for something like this.

And yes, my taste does run to simplicity. About the fanciest pens that actually appeal to me are some of the vintage celluloid patterns, and I like the plainness of old BCHR pens.
    73g for the Dragon? Hit me with your rhythm stick!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (December 15th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 15th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Ehh, what people like and what pen they want for their own money, is none of my business.

Actually I don't mind some of those outlandish pens.
    For example this, I wouldn't mind having one, if the price is not where this thing is shooting at.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Cyril (December 26th, 2021), Morgaine (January 2nd, 2022), Pendragon (January 17th, 2022), scrivelry (December 15th, 2021), Stands on Feet (December 15th, 2021), TFarnon (December 15th, 2021), TSherbs (December 14th, 2021), Yazeh (December 15th, 2021)