Thread: Cross Townsend Medalist - Nib extraction

Thanks

Default Cross Townsend Medalist - Nib extraction

Good evening, I've tried to get the nib out of this pen. I can feel it is wobbly between my fingers but it doesn't budge. It does not turn, it does not pull out. How is it fitted in the section? Who knows?
    Thank you
    Marco

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Re: Cross Townsend Medalist - Nib extraction

I searched and found this information posted by Oxonian years ago on the other place. In this reply he seems to refer to the nib and feed but other replies suggest the nib and feed unit screws out. Here is the complete thread Remove your own nib or nib and feed at your own risk....You could always send it back to Cross to fix it if it's damaged.

"The nibs on the Townsend are friction fit, the nib and the feed on which it sits is a friction fit in the section/finger grip.

To remove the nib and feed you need to unscrew the barrel and remove the converter or cartridge, rinse the pen through with water and blot it dry on some kitchen towel/tissues. If you then mark the position of the nib in the section, using a chinagraph pencil or something to mark the section it will make replacing the nib easier as there are fitting tags and things in the section to position things correctly, then take hold of the nib and feed with your thumb on the nib and finger/fingers gripping the feed and wiggle/rock it gently whilst pulling, you will feel some movement, once it moves the nib can be teased out by holding the part in front of the feed between finger and thumb.I have just done this to one of mine to make sure it works. To replace the nib, hold the nib and feed together with you finger and thumb, line the nib up with the position marker and push gently but firmly, don't force it"
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 17th, 2021 at 04:20 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Cross Townsend Medalist - Nib extraction

Hi Chrissy, thank you very much fro looking. I've tried already doing as per the old post but apart from feeling it wiggling between thumb and index nothing else happens. I wanted to check if it needed pushing / screwing in a bit more because when I write the tip of my left index finger gets stained with ink as if it exists from the copper end part of the section, where it fits onthe plastic bit. Not that it bothers me too much but wanted to understand why this is happening. There are no other leaks anywhere around the section nor in the cap residues of wet ink. Strange.
    Could always send it back to Cross for them to have a look at. THank you. Marco