Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Time and Purchasing Ink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

Default Winter Time and Purchasing Ink

It's that time of year. . . when I stop buying ink. I live in an area where the temperature drops below freezing at night. And most of the places that I purchase ink from are located in similar areas. I have heard stories of broken bottles and frozen ink.

But against my better judgment, I purchased several bottles of an ink that I love that is now discontinued. I knew that if I did not purchase them now, they would not be around in another month or so. I decided it was worth the risk of possibly loosing some ink to freezing and possible broken bottles.

The package arrived yesterday. It was not packaged very well - just in a lightweight box with a few pieces of "peanuts" (small foam packing material). And the package was just thrown on my doorstep without the postman ringing my doorbell. So it sat outside for probably an hour or more - with the temperature at -7 deg C (about 20 deg F).

With trepidation, I opened the box over the sink. I expected ink everywhere - beautiful blue ink flowing down the drain. And broken glass or broken lids.

But, happy day! All of the bottles survived without freezing, without leakage! I was thrilled!

So, are the stories true?

I am curious - have you ever received a box of frozen ink?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 20th, 2021), damfino (December 19th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 18th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: Winter Time and Purchasing Ink

I think it may be a case of how exactly your package travels.

I have had two packages over the last few months spend several days to a week sitting at a given Post office (Different one each time.) There's lots of movement before, lots of movement after, but during those slow periods so far as I can tell, it is sitting at some post office.

Maybe on a loading dock.

Or maybe it is sitting in a truck they are going to use to send things somewhere next.

I have no idea.

If the ink was sitting somewhere like an unheated loading dock or truck, I could easily see it freezing. If it's moving in and out of the offices at a clip, maybe not. And I don't buy tons of ink, so I can't say it's happened to me, but I also can't say that means anything - not sure what dates of the year I have purchased mail order ink on.

So this is clearly no real help, but eh, I tried...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 18th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,272 Times in 2,263 Posts

Dr. P I have thankfully not yet experienced that. One of the vendors in QC, Canada wraps they're inks bottles in insulation packing. But I've heard of ink bottles exploding in the Canadian Prairies due to their extreme low temperatures.... (-25-40°C)...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,259 Posts

I'm glad they arrived safely - but of course I really want to know which ink it was!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    I'm glad they arrived safely - but of course I really want to know which ink it was!!
    Ah you will figure out by guessing it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

o.k., o.k. Rumor has it that Pilot is discontinuing several inks to make room for new ones. One of my favorites (and you already guessed it) is Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa. If you like and want more, you had better get it soon or it will be gone. The other two inks they are discontinuing is Tsutkushi and Inaho. They will be substituting with a light pink color, a muddy green ink and another ink that looks a lot like Shin-Ryoku. So the rumor goes . . . (but actually they introduced the three new inks already).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,259 Posts

Haha! - I got a couple of extra 'spares' of Tsuyu-Kusa and Ina-Ho in the last month too. Everything I've seen of the the three new colours leaves me underwhelmed. They're certainly not on my wish list for now.

Thanks

Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever tried a Pilot ink.... something about them is so unappealing

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    It's that time of year. . . when I stop buying ink. I live in an area where the temperature drops below freezing at night. And most of the places that I purchase ink from are located in similar areas. I have heard stories of broken bottles and frozen ink.

But against my better judgment, I purchased several bottles of an ink that I love that is now discontinued. I knew that if I did not purchase them now, they would not be around in another month or so. I decided it was worth the risk of possibly loosing some ink to freezing and possible broken bottles.

The package arrived yesterday. It was not packaged very well - just in a lightweight box with a few pieces of "peanuts" (small foam packing material). And the package was just thrown on my doorstep without the postman ringing my doorbell. So it sat outside for probably an hour or more - with the temperature at -7 deg C (about 20 deg F).

With trepidation, I opened the box over the sink. I expected ink everywhere - beautiful blue ink flowing down the drain. And broken glass or broken lids.

But, happy day! All of the bottles survived without freezing, without leakage! I was thrilled!

So, are the stories true?

I am curious - have you ever received a box of frozen ink?
    No. I live in NYC, which gets pretty cold. I have bought ink from Art Brown's, from FPH, and from an art supply store in Morningside Heights, and also on-line. Post Office deliveries will sit in a truck for several hours. Never had a problem.
    Last edited by welch; December 19th, 2021 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks

It's a Festivus Miracle!

Thanks

Here is a https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...ew_frozen_ink/ to a reddit post about a couple of frozen inks.
    You can see the photos you can see here:https://imgur.com/a/OQvYut5

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

damfino (December 21st, 2021), DrPenfection (December 19th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

o.k., o.k. Rumor has it that Pilot is discontinuing several inks to make room for new ones. One of my favorites (and you already guessed it) is Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa. If you like and want more, you had better get it soon or it will be gone. The other two inks they are discontinuing is Tsutkushi and Inaho. They will be substituting with a light pink color, a muddy green ink and another ink that looks a lot like Shin-Ryoku. So the rumor goes . . . (but actually they introduced the three new inks already).
    Dr P. Shame if they discontinue Tsu Kushi , I'm one of these folk that often put the same colour ink as the colour of the
    pen , and that one matches quite a few of my pens.
    I love the Iroshizuku range, and have many many of the colours. And, I'd pay anything for a couple of bottles of last year's LE Hoteison , which I have tried planet wide to source, to no avail ....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (December 19th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    Haha! - I got a couple of extra 'spares' of Tsuyu-Kusa and Ina-Ho in the last month too. Everything I've seen of the the three new colours leaves me underwhelmed. They're certainly not on my wish list for now.
    You are always so smart, mizgeorge! I feel the same way about the new inks. Not something I have any desire for - at least not right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever tried a Pilot ink.... something about them is so unappealing
    WHAT?????? You haven't tried them? Wow, I didn't expect that! I thought you had tried every ink on the market!

But, then again, I imagine you only like permanent inks - or those that glow in the dark, or perhaps just polar ones.

Truthfully, Pilot Iros are some of my favorite inks. Over the years, I have bought just about all of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Dr P. Shame if they discontinue Tsu Kushi , I'm one of these folk that often put the same colour ink as the colour of the
    pen , and that one matches quite a few of my pens.
    I love the Iroshizuku range, and have many many of the colours. And, I'd pay anything for a couple of bottles of last year's LE Hoteison , which I have tried planet wide to source, to no avail ....
    I was really surprised too when I learned they were discontinuing those three. Well, I can imagine that Inaho doesn't appeal to everyone, but TsuKushi and Tsuyu-Kusa? It was a surprise. I have heard varying stories of when they are going stop manufacture of those inks - some say they already have, others say as of the end of the year. Either way, it isn't too far off.

Thanks

WHAT?????? You haven't tried them? Wow, I didn't expect that! I thought you had tried every ink on the market!
    No.. That's mizgeorge. She just need Noodler's to have her list complete

But, then again, I imagine you only like permanent inks - or those that glow in the dark, or perhaps just polar ones.

Truthfully, Pilot Iros are some of my favorite inks. Over the years, I have bought just about all of them.
    It is true I like permeant inks. Though I have quite a bit of impermanent ones too. Life is simpler if I focus on a series of ink. Too many brands makes life a misery Especially if I am to practice impermanence....

Thanks

It is true I like permeant inks. Though I have quite a bit of impermanent ones too. Life is simpler if I focus on a series of ink. Too many brands makes life a misery Especially if I am to practice impermanence....
    Ooh, well said! And I too have a tendency of focusing on ink brands rather than specific inks everywhere. I don't have the income to afford every ink out there - like some people we know.

But to be honest, I have very few permanent inks, likely because I don't want the hassle of the extra cleaning, but also, philosophically, I don't think what I write is all that important anyway. As one wise man once said, "there is nothing new under the sun.".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

I have inks delivered to me in Maine. Temps all winter below 32F (9F now). Never had an issue (yet). )

Thanks
    Thanked 6,428 Times in 2,519 Posts

Who in Maine is going to volunteer a test mix of their ink and propylene glycol?

Thanks

Ooh, well said! And I too have a tendency of focusing on ink brands rather than specific inks everywhere. I don't have the income to afford every ink out there - like some people we know.

But to be honest, I have very few permanent inks, likely because I don't want the hassle of the extra cleaning, but also, philosophically, I don't think what I write is all that important anyway. As one wise man once said, "there is nothing new under the sun.".
    I understand that. It depends what you write. As a writer, I jot down a lot of ideas, while 90% of them are junk. I don't want water to obliterate the one interesting idea, which I may or not use.

Just to say that the two most difficult inks for me to clean were, Herbin's Rose Cyclamen and Skrip Red.

Not all permeant inks are difficult to clean. IG are very easy to clean. Also, Noodler's fluorescent ink with are are very easy to clean. That's why I like them.

With pigment inks, (For ex. R&K Sketchinks, I always need to soak the feed in a solution) once. And the Polar series, depends the colour. Green and Brown stain. Blue is the easiest to clean. Polar Black was easy too. I haven't tried paper so I don't know....