Thread: Deceptive colours

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

Default Deceptive colours

Thought I'd throw this one out there.

I'm sure many folk have come across instances where a pen they have been lusting after , in either a rare colour or the exact colour they were after , has turned out to be not what it was shown to be.

I've been fooled (?!) a number of times. That's not to say ...I wasn't the fool for not taking precautions,
    but in a few cases, it has looked suspiciously like active deception.

Obviously, and so as not to slander any seller that may identify one of 'their' sales pics , many of whom will have been unaware that their photo/s were not accurately depicting the true colour of their pens , I'm not saying there has been 'malice afore thought'

However, in many cases the difference in colour between the photos shown and the actual pen received has been ....considerable...to say the least.

I'm convinced also, that in many cases, active deception in the form of 'coloured light being shone onto a pen to enhance its colour' has been done.

Perusing regularly, as is my wont, the various pen sites on the 'bay' the discrepancies are huge. I am well aware of the old 'monitor differences' excuse, but to my mind it is important that a seller check their final post pics for a realistic comparison between what they hold in their hand and what appears on their screen , before hitting 'post'

Two examples spring to mind, and again I must stress that in no way am I accusing or implying that there was deception, but am simply showing that this phenomenon occurs and is very annoying.

IMG_5264.jpg
    Thought I'd scored myself a blue coronet for a very attractive price ! Turns out it's just an ordinary 'flighter'

IMG_1642.jpg
    And again, a very rare light blue Swan....turns out it was grey !

Another very common one, is the burgundy Parker 45. With sufficient light ( be it shone directly onto the pen on purpose, or simply shot in say sunlight ?? ) it can resemble the rarer and more sought after 'bright red Happy colour' instead of the hugely more common darker burgundy one.
    To my embarrassment I've now got a few of these burgundy coloured pens... they are great pens, but not the bright red ones I was after 🤣.

Absolutely no intention of implying active deception, just to point out that this needs awareness.

Enough raving.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Blue Note (January 9th, 2022), Yazeh (January 9th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Deceptive colours

The Pelikan limited edition reissue M101N that is said to be "vivid red" is the color of tomato soup.

Nice pen, but vivid it ain't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    The Pelikan limited edition reissue M101N that is said to be "vivid red" is the color of tomato soup.

Nice pen, but vivid it ain't.
    There does certainly seem to be some some differences of opinion on what a colour is .
    Some people just make up names too

Thanks
    Thanked 10,493 Times in 4,013 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Thought I'd throw this one out there.

I'm sure many folk have come across instances where a pen they have been lusting after , in either a rare colour or the exact colour they were after , has turned out to be not what it was shown to be.

I've been fooled (?!) a number of times. That's not to say ...I wasn't the fool for not taking precautions,
    but in a few cases, it has looked suspiciously like active deception.

Obviously, and so as not to slander any seller that may identify one of 'their' sales pics , many of whom will have been unaware that their photo/s were not accurately depicting the true colour of their pens , I'm not saying there has been 'malice afore thought'

However, in many cases the difference in colour between the photos shown and the actual pen received has been ....considerable...to say the least.
    Sellers take their pictures in different lighting and more times than I can count I have seen Parker 45 Flighter pens look blue or even other colours. When it looks more like an ordinary Fighter than a Coronet missing it's tail or square Parker logo I always ask and am mostly thankful I did so. I always need to be 100% certain before I bid or buy. I'm pleased to say that this method has so far resulted in me not being fooled.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Robalone (January 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Update . I didn't actually buy either of these pens. The flighter one was 'or offer', so I messaged to ask if it was blue or taken in a light that made it appear blue. The seller was very pleasant about it and said it was a flighter.
    I mentioned the possibility of confusion with the colouring .

The Swan pen , I didn't go for.

I have however actually bought two 'bright red' 45s that turned out to be the burgundy colour.

I have seen one seller that shines a light on the dark blue 45 to make it a brighter blue.

As always of course, it pays to research, and approach things in a careful manner.

And of course, I've made purchases knowing that a seller didn't know what they had !!
    Last edited by Robalone; January 9th, 2022 at 04:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,436 Times in 2,522 Posts

Keep in mind that whether digital or film (my lifetime spans both), screen or print, image colors will vary depending on the original camera device, the medium of image capture and the final image display, notwithstanding the color of the object itself. Prime examples are the Montblanc Meisterstuck pens made of bordeaux resin (not Montblanc's less-common darker burgundy often confused with bordeaux).

These pens' bordeaux resin is the same color despite the varied appearance. (Top and bottom taken by me, other three downloaded over the years.) If you have a bordeaux Meisterstuck, hold it up against this screen to compare.

146R 1.jpegIMGP4499.jpegMB 144R closed.jpegMB 146R B 8.jpegIMG_1422.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; January 9th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 13th, 2022), eachan (January 9th, 2022), Robalone (January 9th, 2022)

Thanks

Some fountain pen colours are difficult to photograph accurately. The Newhaven Parker Duofold Aerometric's green photographs blue, do what you will.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 13th, 2022), Robalone (January 9th, 2022)

Thanks

IMG_5269.jpgIMG_5267.jpg

A couple more that have surprised me. Sure there are variables, but sometimes ya gotta wonder !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eachan View Post
    Some fountain pen colours are difficult to photograph accurately. The Newhaven Parker Duofold Aerometric's green photographs blue, do what you will.
    Indeed Eachan, also those MT colours dark dark blue - green etc, which always come out black.

Thanks

That's true, Rob. Those Swans need a strong light to show their colour.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 656 Posts

Also, not all sellers have good color acuity (I don't). You should always make sure the seller will take it back for at least a day or two after delivery.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!