Thread: My Smallest Wahl yet, 214AW

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default My Smallest Wahl yet, 214AW

Picked this up yesterday, first find of the new year (along with an early Conklin Crescent filler, and later in the afternoon an Esterbrook SJ).

Found it buried in a little box of junker pens (mostly 3rd tier FPs, BPs, MPs, damaged nibs, etc etc) at the antique mall.

Looked it up in the 1925 Wahl catalog while I was in the shop to figure it to be a 214AW miniature pen (2" length, "0" nib, Checkerboard pattern, gold-filled, ring top).

Cleaned up the old ink, polished up a little bit.

Until this little guy, my smallest Wahl was this 431A (also shown next to one of my thicker Wahl, a Lazulitic blue Gold Seal with a Personal Point #4 "Flexible" "B").

Took a little bit of heat and patience to get the section out of the barrel, did notice there was a small crack in the hard rubber tubing used for the nipple, but figured it was minor enough that the sac being shellac'd right on it would be fine, especially since the feed sticks out the back of it, not leaving really any room for it to squeeze inward.

Got a new sac on it, I adjusted the nib for alignment and heat set it better to the feed allowing me to pinch in the gap between the tip a little bit (still present but much smaller than it was).

Shown here next to the Wahl 431A, Sheaffer OS Balance, the modern Platinum Century #3776, and my Wahl-Eversharp Doric (Jet Black, standard size, vac-filler converted to a button filler, hence the Duofold blind cap).

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (February 20th, 2022), christof (January 2nd, 2022), Cyril (May 30th, 2022), Robalone (January 20th, 2022), Robert (January 2nd, 2022), Scrawler (January 27th, 2022), Wahl (January 20th, 2022), Yazeh (April 16th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: My Smallest Wahl yet, 214AW

Nice, congrats !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 355 Posts

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (February 20th, 2022), Wahl (January 20th, 2022), Yazeh (April 16th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    If it has a #0 nib and is same size as mine (which it would be if it has a #0), it's going to be a 21#AW, the # is the pattern, in your case it's called a "Colonial Design", so yours is a 213AW (A = Gold, W = Ringtop).

Which happens to be in the 1925 Catalog.

I want to find a colonial design, ripple, or even the 'hand engraved' looking ones. I mainly come across the dart/unique, or checkerboard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Robalone (January 22nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 355 Posts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 16th, 2022)

Thanks

It's interesting to see a warranted nib that doesn't follow the same nib size standard as the Wahl (likewise waterman, etc etc). Seems more in line with the WASP Clipper I have where their #4 is much closer to a typical "no.2" nib, and was the smallest size of that specific model (likewise their biggest model having as #7 nib is hardly larger than either a Conklin, Wahl, or Waterman #4).

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    It's interesting to see a warranted nib that doesn't follow the same nib size standard as the Wahl (likewise waterman, etc etc)....
    It can be the bane of restoring older vintage pens when swapping nibs.

I was going crazy dealing with Conklin's own numbering for nibs produced in the first decade of the previous century. They changed the sizes for the same numbers around 1904, and I was stuck with incompatible parts requiring me to buy even more (and rarer) parts in order to complete a 1904 No. 4 crescent pen, and then I had left-over parts for a larger 1904+ No. 4 crescent pen!
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 25th, 2022 at 09:42 AM.