Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Thanks

Default Re: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Father, forgive them for they no not what they do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

Most of those mean crackers knew exactly what they were doing: hoping to overthrow the government to keep Trump in the White House.

I can't forgive them, let alone the Liar-in-Chief. They should all be locked up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 7th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

A couple more jail sentences:

NBC News: Jan. 6 rioters who stormed Capitol in gladiator, caveman costumes sentenced to prison.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...-pri-rcna27727

Thanks

I am reading the linked article and particularily the phrase, "the will of the people". Do Republicans and the courts care about the will of the people or do they really think they know whats best, being white men and all?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I am reading the linked article and particularily the phrase, "the will of the people". Do Republicans and the courts care about the will of the people or do they really think they know whats best, being white men and all?
    The problem with these men (and some women) is that they held feverishly to the delusion that they were right and that they were doing the "will of the people." It's a form of fervent self-righteousness that loses touch with reality and the rule of law. In this case, it also lost touch with the rule of democracy and the ethics by which it functions. Ironically, the "will of the people" was served in November 2020 and Joe Biden was lawfully and honestly elected President of the United States of America. He won both the popular vote and the tally of the Electoral College, certified through the same process (although these folks tried to contravene this process) that elections have gone through for decades and decades.

The current President (and loser of that election) and several of his key followers and thousands of others on the internet irresponsibly and reprehensibly began a vortex of self-refering conspiracy theories of fraud (all of which have never come true) and delusional fantasies to mollify their anger and feelings of loss and disappointment. And the then-President was the worst deluded baby loser of them all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    The problem with these men (and some women) is that they held feverishly to the delusion that they were right and that they were doing the "will of the people." It's a form of fervent self-righteousness that loses touch with reality and the rule of law. In this case, it also lost touch with the rule of democracy and the ethics by which it functions. Ironically, the "will of the people" was served in November 2020 and Joe Biden was lawfully and honestly elected President of the United States of America. He won both the popular vote and the tally of the Electoral College, certified through the same process (although these folks tried to contravene this process) that elections have gone through for decades and decades.

The current President (and loser of that election) and several of his key followers and thousands of others on the internet irresponsibly and reprehensibly began a vortex of self-refering conspiracy theories of fraud (all of which have never come true) and delusional fantasies to mollify their anger and feelings of loss and disappointment. And the then-President was the worst deluded baby loser of them all.
    Or worse, that they were doing the will of God.

Thanks

Or worse, that they were doing the will of God.
    Yes, some thought this too.

Thanks

“Today, in the wake of the Buffalo shooting, Miles Taylor—a member of Trump’s administration who warned anonymously of how dangerous Trump was—announced he was leaving the Republican Party and called on others to do the same. “In the wake of the mass shooting in Buffalo on Saturday,” he wrote, “it’s become glaringly obvious that my party no longer represents conservative values but in fact poses a threat to them—and to America.””
    https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...urce=email&s=r

Thanks

Poor Ginni got found out.

Thanks

Republicans are a corrupted bunch

Thanks

Aka Ronnie Jackson.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 651 Posts

Republicans are a corrupted bunch
    You think the left isn't? There's plenty of what we both would classify as corruption in both parties. I've always felt that, in a democracy, whoever ascends the top rung shouldn't be there. Our elections are based on likeability (most convincing, with the right looks and presentation) and not necessarily the most wise nor capable for the role.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I’m reading that Trump was supposed to have reacted approvingly to “hang Mike Penske”. How could anyone possibly vote for him again?

Thanks

Another conviction, this time of a racist, antisemitic fool (or liar, take your pick):

NPR: Former Army Reservist and alleged white supremacist found guilty in Capitol riot trial.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/27/11018...n-capitol-riot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

I’m reading that Trump was supposed to have reacted approvingly to “hang Mike Penske”. How could anyone possibly vote for him again?
    How could anyone burn a woman to death as a witch?

Thanks

Proud Boys charged and their former leader.

Thanks

Proud Boys charged and their former leader.
    Yep. They've been charged already on lesser counts. This is a more serious charge now.

Thanks

Open in browser
    June 6, 2022
    Heather Cox Richardson
    Jun 7

Comment
    Today the Justice Department filed a superseding indictment charging Proud Boys leader Henry “Enrique” Tarrio and four colleagues with up to ten criminal counts, including seditious conspiracy and conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, in relation to the January 6 insurrection. Sedition is the crime of inciting a revolt against the government, and conspiracy means there was an organized group of people with a plan.

A grand jury indicted Tarrio and Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, and Dominic Pezzola, all of whom had already been charged with crimes; this filing adds to those charges. The indictment says that the five men “did knowingly conspire, confederate, and agree, with other persons known and unknown to the Grand Jury, to oppose by force the authority of the Government of the United States and by force to prevent, hinder, and delay the execution of any law of the United States…. The purpose of the conspiracy was to oppose the lawful transfer of presidential power by force.”

Wow.

The DOJ is acknowledging that the insurrectionists were trying to overthrow the government. As retired Harvard law professor Lawrence Tribe tweeted, “Seditious conspiracy is huge. No more serious federal crime short of treason.”

The indictment alleges these Proud Boys members used their social media platform as leaders of the gang to stir up anger about the election. “It’s time for f**king War if they steal this s**t,” Biggs wrote, referring to the presidential election. Nordean posted on social media: “We tried playing nice and by the rules, now you will deal with the monster you created. The spirit of 1776 has resurfaced and has created groups like the Proudboys and we will not be extinguished. We will grow like the flame that fuels us and spread like love that guides us. We are unstoppable, unrelenting and now…unforgiving. Good luck to all you traitors of this country we so deeply love…you’re going to need it.” Rehl posted: “Hopefully the firing squads are for the traitors that are trying to steal the election from the American people.”

They urged others to join the insurrection, raised money for their trip to Washington, D.C., bought paramilitary equipment, met secretly and used encrypted communications, hid their gang colors to appear incognito, led the crowd to the Capitol, stormed the barricades, destroyed property, and assaulted law enforcement officers, all to prevent Joe Biden from becoming president.

This indictment mirrors that of January 13, 2022, when the Department of Justice indicted the leader of the Oath Keepers, Elmer Stewart Rhodes III, and 10 other members of the group, a far-right antigovernment militia that specializes in recruiting veterans, for a number of crimes including seditious conspiracy in relation to the January 6 insurrection.

Today’s indictment says that Tarrio and his gang coordinated with the Oath Keepers.

But there are pretty broad hints here that they coordinated with others, too. There is still hanging out there that at the presidential debate on September 29, 2020, about a month before the election, Trump told the Proud Boys to “stand back and stand by.” Then, on December 12, 2020, Tarrio published on the right-wing social media site Parler a photo of himself at the White House, saying that he had received a “last minute invite to an undisclosed location.” White House spokesperson Judd Deere later said: “He did not have a meeting with the president, nor did the White House invite him.”

But the Tarrio indictments have always indicated there was something big afoot, and now that seditious conspiracy charges are on the table, they are worth revisiting. Both an earlier indictment and this one have this paragraph: “Between December 30 and December 31, 2020, TARRIO communicated multiple times with an individual whose identity is known to the grand jury. On December 30, 2020, this individual sent Tarrio a nine-page document titled, ‘1776 Returns.’ The document set forth a plan to occupy a few ‘crucial buildings’ in Washington, D.C., on January 6, including House and Senate office buildings around the Capitol, with as ‘many people as possible’ to ‘show our politicians We the People are in charge.’ After sending the document, the individual stated, ‘The revolution is [more] important than anything.’ TARRIO responded, ‘That’s what every waking moment consists of…I’m not playing games.’”

There is also this: As these five Proud Boys were near an entrance to the Capitol, “[s]econds before 12:53 p.m [on January 6], BIGGS was approached by an individual whose identity is known to the grand jury. The individual put one arm around BIGGS’s shoulder and spoke to him. Approximately one minute later, this individual crossed the barrier that restricted access to the Capitol grounds. This was the first barrier protecting the Capitol grounds to be breached on January 6, 2021, and the point of entry” for the Proud Boys.

Both the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers storming the Capitol appeared to fancy themselves as heroic revolutionaries defending America. Clearly egged on by someone talking about “revolution,” they took up a great deal of space in social media and on private chats thumping their chests about “revolution” and “1776.” Charles Donohoe, who was not charged here because he is cooperating with the Department of Justice, wrote that Washington, D.C., officials were limiting access to the city “so that they can deny Trump has the People’s support. We can’t let them succeed. This government is run FOR the People, BY the People…. Congress needs a reintroduction to that fact.”

The Proud Boys—and the Oath Keepers, too—also talked about civil war. When president-elect Biden called for unity after he won the election, Tarrio posted a message on social media saying: “F**k Unity. No quarter. Raise the black flag.” On November 25, 2020, when Biden said, “We need to remember: We’re at war with a virus—not with each other,” Tarrio reposted the statement and added, “No, YOU need to remember the American people are at war with YOU. No Trump…No peace. No quarter.” And January 20, the day of Biden’s inauguration, one Oath Keeper messaged another: “After this…if nothing happens…its [sic] war…Civil War 2.0.”

For all their heroic talk, these men were not the good guys. They were plotting “to oppose the lawful transfer of presidential power by force.” That is, this ragtag crew plotted to take away from the majority of Americans their right, one of the four rights our Founders called “unalienable,” to consent to the government under which we live. That freedom to choose our own leaders was what 1776 meant, not the imposition of the will of a tyrannical minority on the rest of us.

Seventy-eight years ago today, on June 6, 1944, Americans and their leaders stood not for but against those determined to replace democratic government with tyranny. One hundred and fifty-six thousand U.S. and Allied troops and 195,000 sailors and at least 23,000 airmen with 5000 ships and 11,000 planes stormed five beaches along a heavily fortified five-mile stretch in the Normandy region of France to defend the concept of democracy against the tyranny of fascism.

The assault was known as Operation Overlord and more popularly known as D-Day. The day before, knowing that many of the men would not survive the assault, General Dwight Eisenhower reminded the men that they were fighting for the right of individuals to determine their own futures. “The eyes of the world are upon you,” he wrote. “The hope and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.”

“Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely. But this is the year 1944!... The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!”

Thanks

Seditious deluded crazies, caught up in their own fatntastical tales of self-importance and self-rightuousness, manipulated by a power-hungry and petulant narcissistic incumbent leader who can't take losing, even when it is fair-and-square.

Go to prison, assholes.

Thanks

Did Bannon go along with the charade to get a pardon?