Page 20 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    An op-ed today caused me to ask, if Trump is reelected, who would serve in that administration in light of the Jan 6 hearings. It might be the ones with nothing to lose who are morally corrupt like a Bannon type.

Everyone who chooses to excuse Trump and make "what about this" comparisons are in some way contributing to what might be the last free election in the US.

"Ms. Cheney underscored this unnerving reality in her closing remarks: “Every American must consider this: Can a president who was willing to make the choices Donald Trump made during the violence of Jan. 6 ever be trusted with any position of authority in our great nation again?”

This isn’t really a question so much as a warning."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/22/o...ing-trump.html

"The president’s dereliction of duty on Jan. 6 tested the integrity of this historic principle as never before, endangering American lives and our democracy.

The lesson of that day is clear. Our democracy is not a given. To preserve it, Americans must demand nothing less from their leaders than an unassailable commitment to country over party — and to their oaths above all.

Adm. Steve Abbot, Gen. Peter Chiarelli, Gen. John Jumper, Adm. James Loy, Adm. John Nathman, Adm. William Owens and Gen. Johnnie Wilson are retired four-star generals and admirals in the U.S. armed forces."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/o...-military.html
    With the sweeping power of presidential pardons, I think many people would be willing. I think tht this is what Bannon is signalling with his "I stand with Trump and the Constitution" claptrap. He is telling Trump, "I am the loyalist that you want should you ever be in a position of power again. And, also, could you share a little of your slush fund for my defense? I am covering for you, after all...."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    An op-ed today caused me to ask, if Trump is reelected, who would serve in that administration in light of the Jan 6 hearings. It might be the ones with nothing to lose who are morally corrupt like a Bannon type.

Everyone who chooses to excuse Trump and make "what about this" comparisons are in some way contributing to what might be the last free election in the US.

"Ms. Cheney underscored this unnerving reality in her closing remarks: “Every American must consider this: Can a president who was willing to make the choices Donald Trump made during the violence of Jan. 6 ever be trusted with any position of authority in our great nation again?”

This isn’t really a question so much as a warning."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/22/o...ing-trump.html

"The president’s dereliction of duty on Jan. 6 tested the integrity of this historic principle as never before, endangering American lives and our democracy.

The lesson of that day is clear. Our democracy is not a given. To preserve it, Americans must demand nothing less from their leaders than an unassailable commitment to country over party — and to their oaths above all.

Adm. Steve Abbot, Gen. Peter Chiarelli, Gen. John Jumper, Adm. James Loy, Adm. John Nathman, Adm. William Owens and Gen. Johnnie Wilson are retired four-star generals and admirals in the U.S. armed forces."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/o...-military.html
    With the sweeping power of presidential pardons, I think many people would be willing. I think tht this is what Bannon is signalling with his "I stand with Trump and the Constitution" claptrap. He is telling Trump, "I am the loyalist that you want should you ever be in a position of power again. And, also, could you share a little of your slush fund for my defense? I am covering for you, after all...."
    Have you ever asked yourself what they mean by "standing with the Constitution"? I am seeing the Federalists papers being talked about among far right followers and also talk of a republic vs a democracy. Do these groups have a clear definition of what they would prefer to have the US be? Or, what would life look like if they got their way?

We already know Trump is for Trump. We know he will attack election workers or his own VP to get his way. We know he didn't try to protect other supporters like McCarthy. Why do the Trumpians think he would treat them any differently. I fail to see the appeal of Trump. Are these folks that blinded?

Thanks

Funny how people are reacting to J. Kushner’s testimony. I think most Americans are asleep at the wheel.

Thanks

Have you ever asked yourself what they mean by "standing with the Constitution"?
    It's empty rhetoric. A kind of right wing virtue signaling bullshit. And it's an oxymoron to include Trump in the same sentence, who wanted Pence to abrogate his constitutional role on January 6th.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Have you ever asked yourself what they mean by "standing with the Constitution"?
    It's empty rhetoric. A kind of right wing virtue signaling bullshit. And it's an oxymoron to include Trump in the same sentence, who wanted Pence to abrogate his constitutional role on January 6th.

It is the same as writing America will be able to get back on the right path when the Trumpians regain power in November. Nobody knows what the right path is.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

The right path is to address real problems: climate change, pandemic disease, income inequality, white supremacy and racism, the breakdown of public infrastructure, political corruption, gun violence, Putin's war, outsourcing, et many ceterae.

The wrong path is to piss oneself over racial replacement, the boy crisis, abortion and contraceptives, nonexistent voter fraud, and other delusions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 23rd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

The right path is to address real problems: climate change, pandemic disease, income inequality, white supremacy and racism, the breakdown of public infrastructure, political corruption, gun violence, Putin's war, outsourcing, et many ceterae.
    Those woke mantras don’t seem to carry a lot of weight with voters, and seemingly less every day.

That’s how you got Trump the first time, and possibly a second.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Oops

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post

The wrong path is to piss oneself over racial replacement, the boy crisis, abortion and contraceptives, nonexistent voter fraud, and other delusions.
    Can't disagree with that!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (July 23rd, 2022)

Thanks

The right path is to address real problems: .... nonexistent voter fraud...
    Well, technically there was that dude in Colorado who voted for the wife that he may have buried out in the flatland somewhere.

Thanks

The wrong path is to piss oneself over ...abortion...and other delusions.
    60+ million abortions are delusions?
    You might check your wet boots, It's not raining,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    The wrong path is to piss oneself over ...abortion...and other delusions.
    60+ million abortions are delusions?
    The delusion is that you and your lot have the right to dictate to women who might choose to have one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Pretty sure there’s one party pissing themselves over abortion. You know, that party whose reps were pretending to be handcuffed outside the Supreme Court?

They’re all for democracy, until it doesn’t go their way.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Another slimeball guilty. A "member of the press" was his defense.

What a bald lie.

The Associated Press - en Español: Internet troll 'Baked Alaska' pleads guilty in Capitol riot.
    https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...3acc8597ddcd0b

Thanks

I think the right path belongs to the majority. If the majority of Americans agree with you, that's the correct path. I'd have no problem following if that's what most people decide. I don't have to get my way or even agree. That's just what it means to live in the US or should be.

From Heather Cox Richardson today...
    https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...m_source=email
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; July 24th, 2022 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks

I think the right path belongs to the majority. If the majority of Americans agree with you, that's the correct path.
    This seems an abdication of thoughtful reasoning, principle, and individual conscience.

I'll remind you of what Emily Dickinson wrote about "the majority":

Much Madness is divinest Sense -
    BY EMILY DICKINSON

To a discerning Eye -
    Much Sense - the starkest Madness -
    ’Tis the Majority
    In this, as all, prevail -
    Assent - and you are sane -
    Demur - you’re straightway dangerous -
    And handled with a Chain -

Thanks

I think the right path belongs to the majority. If the majority of Americans agree with you, that's the correct path.
    This seems an abdication of thoughtful reasoning, principle, and individual conscience.

I'll remind you of what Emily Dickinson wrote about "the majority":

BY EMILY DICKINSON

To a discerning Eye -
    Much Sense - the starkest Madness -
    ’Tis the Majority
    In this, as all, prevail -
    Assent - and you are sane -
    Demur - you’re straightway dangerous -
    And handled with a Chain -

You once posted that the Republicans hadn't won the popular vote since 2004. Your posts also indicate that you disagree with Republican values which are in the minority. How do you reconcile you post with how you believe?

I cannot abdicate that which I do not possess. I may be Pro Life and yet believe things should go toward what the majority decides. It is a type of compromise. Assenting is not agreement nor demurring. It is a compromise in order to live a good life.

That said, I do understand the danger of majority rule, but leaving things up to old, white, males cannot be the best.

Did you read the Heather Cox Richardson blog I posted earlier?

Thanks

I read her every day

Thanks

So, would following the minority be more nobel?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 651 Posts

I think the right path belongs to the majority. If the majority of Americans agree with you, that's the correct path. I'd have no problem following if that's what most people decide. I don't have to get my way or even agree. That's just what it means to live in the US or should be.
    Isn't that how slavery and no women's voting lasted so long?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
    - Mark Twain, Notebook, 1904

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!