Page 34 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Thanks

Default Re: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    You don’t need a committee or news source. All you need is to listen or read the primary source. That said, Cassety Hutchinson’s testimony should have dispelled all conspiracies.
    Glad you agree we don’t need a Jan 6 committee.
    Kaz, the Jan 6 committee is how we heard her testimony. Or, that's how I heard it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,424 Posts

Fascinating BBC article on Stewart Rhodes and the Oath Keepers, and a look inside his family, particularly through the eyes of his oldest son, Dakota, who planned and managed an escape (with his mother and siblings) from their increasingly paranoiac, controling, and violent father:

BBC Rhodes family article

Thanks
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,327 Posts

Republicans Who Ignored Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas Likely to Emerge Unscathed

The five Republicans from the House who ignored the Jan. 6 panel's subpoenas are likely to emerge unscathed as options to punish them become more legally limited by the day.

According to The Hill, GOP Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Mo Brooks of Alabama, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, were all subpoenaed by the panel for various reasons regarding the events leading up to Jan. 6, 2021. While all of the congressmen have refused to cooperate, the panel may be unable to refer them for prosecution, due to constitutional limits on Congress holding members accountable to the justice system.

"The Speech or Debate Clause makes it clear that Congress doesn't hold members of Congress accountable in the judiciary or other places in the government," Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., told The Hill. "Members of Congress are only held accountable through Article One in their own chambers for their actions."

In other words, the panel likely would be unable to refer the congressman to the Justice Department. The panel is left with one other option: leave the task of dealing with the congressmen to the House Ethics Committee, which will be chaired by a Republican in the new Congress.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

From Marjorie Taylor Green abstracted from historian Heather Richardson Cox,
    "On Saturday night, at the annual gala of the New York Young Republican Club in New York City, whose attendees included a number of far-right figures, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) deflected accusations that she and Trump ally Stephen Bannon were behind the events of January 6 by saying: “I want to tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, it would’ve been armed.”

What she is saying is she is willing to back an effort that would take away the will of the majority of Americans.

Thanks

Republicans Who Ignored Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas Likely to Emerge Unscathed

The five Republicans from the House who ignored the Jan. 6 panel's subpoenas are likely to emerge unscathed as options to punish them become more legally limited by the day.

According to The Hill, GOP Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio, Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Mo Brooks of Alabama, and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, were all subpoenaed by the panel for various reasons regarding the events leading up to Jan. 6, 2021. While all of the congressmen have refused to cooperate, the panel may be unable to refer them for prosecution, due to constitutional limits on Congress holding members accountable to the justice system.

"The Speech or Debate Clause makes it clear that Congress doesn't hold members of Congress accountable in the judiciary or other places in the government," Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., told The Hill. "Members of Congress are only held accountable through Article One in their own chambers for their actions."

In other words, the panel likely would be unable to refer the congressman to the Justice Department. The panel is left with one other option: leave the task of dealing with the congressmen to the House Ethics Committee, which will be chaired by a Republican in the new Congress.
    Nope unless they lack a conscience.

Thanks

"On Saturday night, at the annual gala of the New York Young Republican Club in New York City, whose attendees included a number of far-right figures, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) deflected accusations that she and Trump ally Stephen Bannon were behind the events of January 6 by saying: “I want to tell you something, if Steve Bannon and I had organized that, we would have won. Not to mention, it would’ve been armed.”

What she is saying is she is willing to back an effort that would take away the will of the majority of Americans.
    It was a dumb thing to say in the larger politics of the time, but she has since said that she was being "sarcastic". Her ego was NOT being sarcastic (she did mean this to be a boast from her ego), but she was just being flippant with the statement. It's her m.o.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

It was a dumb thing to say in the larger politics of the time, but she has since said that she was being "sarcastic". Her ego was NOT being sarcastic (she did mean this to be a boast from her ego), but she was just being flippant with the statement. It's her m.o.
    She has no balls. You to "own your shit" as the old folks used to say.

Thanks

While all of the congressmen have refused to cooperate, the panel may be unable to refer them for prosecution, due to constitutional limits on Congress holding members accountable to the justice system.

In other words, the panel likely would be unable to refer the congressman to the Justice Department.
    (emphasis added)
    Nope unless they lack a conscience.[/QUOTE]

Early returns indicate that perhaps Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md, has a conscience with evidence that he both read, and has an understanding of, the U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 6, Clause 1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    While all of the congressmen have refused to cooperate, the panel may be unable to refer them for prosecution, due to constitutional limits on Congress holding members accountable to the justice system.

In other words, the panel likely would be unable to refer the congressman to the Justice Department.
    (emphasis added)
    Nope unless they lack a conscience.
    Early returns indicate that perhaps Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md, has a conscience with evidence that he both read, and has an understanding of, the U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 6, Clause 1.
    [/QUOTE]

Okay?

Thanks

Tangential case, guilty on several weapons charges:
    Yahoo News: Former Green Beret, Oath Keeper found guilty in federal weapons trial.
    https://news.yahoo.com/former-green-...123815188.html

Thanks

Tangential case, guilty on several weapons charges:
    Yahoo News: Former Green Beret, Oath Keeper found guilty in federal weapons trial.
    https://news.yahoo.com/former-green-...123815188.html
    Thats shame a GB got caught up in Trump's insurrection.

Thanks

Agreed. Sounds like he went off the deep end. The judge denied him bail because the guy was deemed dangerous. It also sounds like he hired a good lawyer.

Thanks

Five years for this a-hole:

QAnon follower who chased officer on Jan. 6 gets 5 years.

https://news.yahoo.com/qanon-followe...183814105.html

Thanks

Trump’s attorney general William Barr told CNN, “I personally think they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump].... They have the case.”
    I believe this, too (from the pattern of behaviors, not because I know the evidence). Thus the special counsel. I think that an indictment will happen in the next 4 months (I'm about 75% sure).
    Reports are that the Committee is going to recommend charges on Trump Monday. I'm not sure of the sources tho.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (December 17th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,327 Posts

“Unnamed sources” seems to be the standard for today’s MSM.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

"A Tennessee man already facing charges of assaulting a police officer during the storming of the Capitol last year was charged on Friday with plotting to assassinate several of the federal agents who had investigated him and to attack the F.B.I.’s field office in Knoxville, Tenn.

The plot by the man, Edward Kelley, 33, of Maryville, Tenn., was foiled this week by a witness who cooperated with the authorities and recorded him and a co-conspirator, Austin Carter, 26, of Knoxville, according to court papers filed in the case.

Mr. Kelley and Mr. Carter were charged with conspiracy, retaliating against a federal official, interstate communication of a threat and solicitation to commit a crime of violence. Both men were denied bail at a hearing on Friday in Federal District Court in Knoxville, the Justice Department said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/u...=US%20Politics
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Trump’s attorney general William Barr told CNN, “I personally think they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump].... They have the case.”
    I believe this, too (from the pattern of behaviors, not because I know the evidence). Thus the special counsel. I think that an indictment will happen in the next 4 months (I'm about 75% sure).
    Reports are that the Committee is going to recommend charges on Trump Monday. I'm not sure of the sources tho.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/1...erral-00074411
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Unsealed opinion regarding documents not covered by attorney-client privilege, https://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/sites/d...r%2022gj28.pdf

Thanks

"A Tennessee man already facing charges of assaulting a police officer during the storming of the Capitol last year was charged on Friday with plotting to assassinate several of the federal agents who had investigated him and to attack the F.B.I.’s field office in Knoxville, Tenn.

The plot by the man, Edward Kelley, 33, of Maryville, Tenn., was foiled this week by a witness who cooperated with the authorities and recorded him and a co-conspirator, Austin Carter, 26, of Knoxville, according to court papers filed in the case.

Mr. Kelley and Mr. Carter were charged with conspiracy, retaliating against a federal official, interstate communication of a threat and solicitation to commit a crime of violence. Both men were denied bail at a hearing on Friday in Federal District Court in Knoxville, the Justice Department said."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/16/u...=US%20Politics
    Well, well, well.

A lovely pair.

Assuming the charges stick, the dimensions of a jail cell are going to become quite familiar to them.

Thanks

Another pair, but this one is a mother and her son:

ABC News: Iowa man who joined mom at Capitol riot guilty on 12 counts.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...ty-12-95437681