Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    It is a "prosecution case" only to the extent it is a political show trial.
    What does your "it" refer to? I was just speaking generally of Trump having to be deposed or testify under oath. I don't know of any "trial" yet. He recently settled a civil case against his security team right before the trial was to begin.

Thanks

See Posts 612 and 614: the January 6 hearings.

Thanks

I am glad the Select Committee was formed and those caring enough about hearing what occurred, were properly informed by primary sources.

I suspect some of Trump supporters are having to privately come to grips with their support of the man. The idea of supporting a liberal, when they are conservative is just out of the question, but disparate times demand desperate measures. Calling people names and being cynical only hurts them. I was thinking about what my teachers said when I was a little boy, "Jesus went about doing good". Doing good isn't easy, but it is necessary to try.

Evangelicals cannot throw away a democracy over one issue. Who wants to live where an authoritarian tells you how many children you can have? Who wants to live in an environment where everyone cannot have a good life and be free because they think differently.

Evangelicals must get over the idea that they are here to turn America into the Kingdom of God. It is horrible to think a girl would be put in prison for getting an abortion. Pro-Life advocates should continue their work so that everyone has informed consent.

Thanks

Appears we are finally moving away from Trumpism. Except for a small fringe segment, most are exhausted.

Thanks

The WaPo this am has a compilation of many concession speeches from both sides in this recent election. How refreshing to see such maturity, humility, and belief in the system and the cadre of regular-folk workers in all these towns and counties who take their jobs seriously and for no credit or gain. One would think that our leaders naturally have these laudable qualities, but, alas, that has not been the case and is not a guarrantee nor a job minimum requirement. Ought to be, though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (November 12th, 2022), dneal (November 12th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

NBC:Jan. 6 committee staffers told preliminary plan for final report would focus largely on Trump, not on law enforcement failures, sources say

The House resolution that created the committee said its mission included examining “the preparedness and response” of Capitol Police and other law enforcement agencies.

Staff members of the Jan. 6 committee were informed last week that the committee’s final report would focus largely on former President Donald Trump and much less on findings about failures by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies in the lead up to the attack, three sources familiar with the committee’s work told NBC News.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

David Brooks said he was initially skeptical of the Jan 6 Committee's usefulness, but he said that it forced Americans to see exactly what took place by their government's leaders.

It is sad that many Americans chose to not watch or listen, but for those that did, I am sure they were shocked by what they learned, and especially Casey Hutcheson. Still, some continue to try and throw cold water on the effort and question its purpose.

Thanks

The election has not gone well for DT. This is an abstract from today's Heather Cox Richardson blog.

"As today’s column by conservative columnist Max Boot of the Washington Post notes, “Republicans lost the election—and so did [Russian president Vladimir] Putin, MBS [Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman], and [former/incoming Israeli prime minister Benjamin] Netanyahu.”

Thanks

Why put this in this thread, Chuck?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

dneal (November 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Why put this in this thread, Chuck?
    Ted, since I started this thread, it might be the least controversial. Where would you have suggested?

Thanks

Trump’s attorney general William Barr told CNN, “I personally think they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump].... They have the case.”

Thanks

This is a more funny one:

The Tinder-date rioter ("parader"):

from https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ck-tinder-date

According to court filings, Schaefer was initially at the house of a woman he had met on Tinder on 6 January 2021 in Alexandria, Virginia, about 20 minutes outside of Washington DC.

Schaefer then reportedly saw the attack on the Capitol on television and called an Uber to take him there so he could participate.

When Schaefer arrived at the Capitol, prosecutors say that he climbed a short wall and gained access to the Capitol building through a broken window.

Schaefer stayed in the Capitol building for about 28 minutes, chanting with other rioters and taking several photos and videos before exiting.

“THIS IS UNREAL,” Schaefer wrote in one Facebook post that included a picture of rioters outside the Capitol.

Prosecutors pieced together Schaefer’s time spent in the Capitol based on surveillance footage and social media posts he made leading up to the January 6 riots and while inside the building.

During an interview with the FBI in June 2022, Schaefer admitted that he was interested in the rioting before going to see his Tinder date on 6 January.

Schaefer was arrested on 13 January 2022. On 2 August 2022, Schaefer pleaded guilty to one count of parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building, with three additional charges against him dropped as part of a plea deal.

During his defense argument, Schaefer’s lawyer, Joshua Insley, criticized Donald Trump and said Schaefer was manipulated by lies about the legitimacy of the 2020 election, reported KSL-TV, a local news affiliate.

“While Mr Schaefer accepts responsibility for his actions, he was guided and urged every step of the way by no less of an authority than the president of the United States and a majority of Republican senators and congressman that continued to repeat the ‘big lie’ that the election had been stolen by the Democrats,” Insley argued.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Trump’s attorney general William Barr told CNN, “I personally think they probably have the basis for legitimately indicting [Trump].... They have the case.”
    I believe this, too (from the pattern of behaviors, not because I know the evidence). Thus the special counsel. I think that an indictment will happen in the next 4 months (I'm about 75% sure).

Thanks

Kinda weird, this one:

NBC News: Jan. 6 rioter who filmed Pelosi laptop theft jailed after jury convicts her on 6 counts.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...unts-rcna57710

Thanks

Heard that Rhodes and several other Oath Keepers are facing felony charges of seditious conspiracy with a mandatory 20 year sentence. Damnation, that’s a result for supporting Donald Trump’s fabrications.

Thanks

yikes that's a lot...but it is also a very serious charge.

Thanks

I found a sticker based on the Gadsden Flag. It reads, "relax, no one is treading on you". I am not trying to be dismissive of what others think as much as I want to remind them, they, as Americans, have it pretty damn good.

Our public library system is available to all to self-educate and change, if needed, to be a different person, or to confirm that the path we chose is the right one.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; November 23rd, 2022 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks

Rhodes, convicted of seditious conspiracy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (November 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Very helpful tool here: a searchable and sortable list of all those persons charged thus far for January 6 violations. The sort bar on the right is sortable by status of case, convictions, sentences, etc...

https://www.usatoday.com/storytellin...t-mob-arrests/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (November 30th, 2022)

Thanks

Criminal referrals coming: BBC article