Thanks

Default Re: I Guess it's Time to Discuss January 6th

It’s good that more are coming forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    Frank Bruni wrote today"
    "Team Normal? If you were still working for Trump by the fourth year of his presidency, there was nothing normal about you. If you served that campaign, during which Trump repeatedly telegraphed his intention to declare any result other than victory an illegitimate one, there was nothing normal about you. If you’d taken the measure of the man before Election Day 2020 and decided, yes, he’s fit to lead America, good for this country and worthy of my efforts and energies on his behalf, there was nothing normal about you.

And if, in the weeks after Election Day, you finally stopped abetting his delusions, midwifing his megalomania and whispering sweet reassurances in his ear, you weren’t returning to normal. You were simply cutting your losses. It was time to hitch your wagon to a sturdier, steadier horse, to find another patron and another payday."

"We can remember that before Mike Pence patriotically refused Trump’s order not to certify the election results, he pathetically performed the role of Trump’s evangelical beard. And don’t get me started on Ivanka. I’ve spent ample time in her temple of self-celebration, as have others. She and her husband, Jared Kushner, will always do what’s profitable for them, and if that occasionally intersects with the public interest, well, accidents happen. We can think a word of thanks without uttering a syllable of praise."

He was referring to staff such as Ivanka Trump, Bill Barr, and Bill Stepien. And of course, MIKE PENCE!! He is no hero.
    This is well put.

Thanks

From an op-ed by Maureen Dowd:

"WASHINGTON — The fate of a sycophant is never a happy one.

At first, you think that fawning over the boss is a good way to move forward. But when you are dealing with a narcissist — and narcissists are the ones who like to be surrounded by sycophants — you can never be unctuous enough.

Narcissists are Grand Canyons of need. The more they are flattered, the more their appetite for flattery grows.

That is the hard, almost fatal, lesson Pence learned on Jan. 6, when he finally stood up to Donald Trump after Trump asked for one teensy favor: Help destroy American democracy and all we stand for."

"As Trump recalled in a speech on Friday in Nashville, “I said to Mike, ‘If you do this, you can be Thomas Jefferson.’ And then, after it all went down, I looked at him one day and said, ‘I hate to say this, but you’re no Thomas Jefferson.’”

In the same speech, Trump had another line that was strikingly delusional, even for him. “For the radical left,” he said, “politics has become their religion. It has warped their sense of right and wrong. They don’t have a sense of right and wrong, true and false, good and evil.”

Trump as an invited speaker to the Faith and Freedom Coalition.

This is what they say they are. It is run by Ralph Reed.

"About the Faith & Freedom Coalition, https://www.ffcoalition.com/about/

“Freedom regards religion as the companion in all its battles and all its triumphs as the very cradle of its infancy and the source of all its claims…. because religion alone is the safeguard of morality, and morality is the best and surest pledge for the survival of freedom.” – Alexis de Tocqueville

We believe that the greatness of America lies not in the federal government but in the character of our people — the simple virtues of faith, hard work, marriage, family, personal responsibility, and helping the least among us. If we lose sight of these values, America will cease to be great.

Never before has it been more critical for us to speak out for these values. That is why the Faith & Freedom Coalition is committed to educating, equipping, and mobilizing people of faith and like-minded individuals to be effective citizens. Together we will influence public policy and enact legislation that strengthens families, promotes time-honored values, protects the dignity of life and marriage, lowers the tax burden on small business and families, and requires government to tighten its belt and live within its means.

Our Principles

Respect for the sanctity and dignity of life, family, and marriage as the foundations of a free society
    Limited government, lower taxes and fiscal responsibility to unleash the creative energy of entrepreneurs
    Education reform that puts children first
    Help the poor, the needy, and those who have been left behind
    Free markets and free minds to create opportunity for all
    Victory in the struggle with terrorism and tyranny while supporting our democratic allies, including Israel
    Our Five-Fold Mission

Mobilize and train people of faith to be effective citizens
    Speak out in the public arena and in the media on behalf of Christian values
    Influence legislation and enact sound public policy at every level of government
    Train citizens for effective civic action
    Protest bigotry and discrimination against people of faith

So, if these are your core values, how do you invite Donald Trump? I think it is because these people are not disciples of Jesus at all. They may call themselves a Christian.

2 Timothy 4:3-4
    For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Romans 8:7
    Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Philippians 4:8
    Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

1 John 4:1
    Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

From an op-ed by Jammelle Bouie

"There’s also a factual problem. Far from resolute against the president’s scheme to overturn the election, Pence was originally inclined to help. He even contacted one of his predecessors, Dan Quayle, for advice on what to do. We know this because it is documented in the book “Peril” by Bob Woodward and Robert Costa. Here’s how they describe the conversation:

Over and over, Pence asked if there was anything he could do. “Mike, you have no flexibility on this. None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away,” Quayle told him. Pence pressed again. “You don’t know the position I’m in,” he said. “I do know the position you’re in,” Quayle responded. “I also know what the law is. You listen to the parliamentarian. That’s all you do. You have no power.”

This does not sound like a man whose first instinct was, according to his counsel at the time, “that there was no way that our framers would have ever put one person in a role to have decisive impact on the outcome of the election.”

It sounds like a man who did the right thing only after he couldn’t find a legal rationale to do the wrong one. It sounds like a man who still won’t fully repudiate Trump or what he stands for. It sounds like a man who still won’t testify, lest he alienate the voters who are sure to power him to a sixth-place finish in the Iowa caucuses.

Yes, when it mattered most, Pence bucked Trump. That doesn’t make him a hero."
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; June 19th, 2022 at 06:25 AM.

Thanks

And, what a sad day. Mark Shields has passed at 85.

“Of President Donald J. Trump, Mr. Shields said dismissively that “the toughest thing he’s ever done was to ask Republicans to vote for a tax cut.” The House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy was “an invertebrate”; Senator Lindsey Graham made Tonto, the Lone Ranger’s loyal sidekick, “look like an independent spirit.” In both major parties, he said, too many are afflicted with “the Rolex gene” — making them money-hungry caterers to the wealthy.”

Thanks

And, what a sad day. Mark Shields has passed at 85.

“Of President Donald J. Trump, Mr. Shields said dismissively that “the toughest thing he’s ever done was to ask Republicans to vote for a tax cut.” The House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy was “an invertebrate”; Senator Lindsey Graham made Tonto, the Lone Ranger’s loyal sidekick, “look like an independent spirit.” In both major parties, he said, too many are afflicted with “the Rolex gene” — making them money-hungry caterers to the wealthy.”

“Mark is not a big fan of Donald Trump who he once called “criminally uncurious”.

Thanks

I listened today. Talk about pathetic, the most powerful person in the world attacking a 70 year old grandmother. Takes a very small person to do what he did.

Thanks

Thank god for the responsible, professional people of the Department of Justice.

Fucking stupid internet conspiracy theories. Fucking lying sycophants, hangers-on, and toadies. And then fishing for pardons like slimy rats caught in the light.

How disgusting.

Thanks

I learned the client of the DOJ is the US government, not the American people. Therefore, Trump asking them to delegitimize the election demonstrated why an "outsider" is not the best candidate. I cannot imagine the reaction of these seasoned professionals had with a person like Trump. The man is truly unhinged and has been for a long time. For all the people respecting him as a business success, now they could know what he did and how he did it.

A good point was made that if the DOJ intends to prosecute Trump, they should do so before he declares his candidacy.
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; June 24th, 2022 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Thank god for the responsible, professional people of the Department of Justice.

Fucking stupid internet conspiracy theories. Fucking lying sycophants, hangers-on, and toadies. And then fishing for pardons like slimy rats caught in the light.

How disgusting.
    I don’t mind expletives, but your frequent overuse of f-bombs in particular have you looking a little unhinged.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Bold2013 (June 24th, 2022), Chuck Naill (June 25th, 2022), Lloyd (June 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Wow. More inside testimony. What a disgusting, power-hungry megalomaniac Trump was/is. What an idiot Mark Meadows was.

For beginners, Trump should be charged with assault for what he did to the Secret Service chief in the car. Trump was out of control. If a guy patting Giuliani on the back gets charged with assault, what should Trump get?

Thanks

Ironically, if he had not be a sitting elected official, he would have had his out of shape ass handed to him on a platter.

Of course, those of us who never supported him have nothing to hide or be ashamed of.

Thanks

I do remember the members who were supportive of Trump both as a president and Covid leader. They have been reduced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

How disgusting.
    I don’t mind expletives, but your frequent overuse of f-bombs in particular have you looking a little unhinged.
    "a little unhinged"?

vulgarity?

hahaha

What's "unhinged" is Donald Trump overturning entire table settings in the White House dining room, throwing plates against the wall, and going for the throat of a Secret Service agent.

That's MORE than "a little unhinged."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 656 Posts

How disgusting.
    "a little unhinged"?

vulgarity?

hahaha

What's "unhinged" is Donald Trump overturning entire table settings in the White House dining room, throwing plates against the wall, and going for the throat of a Secret Service agent.

That's MORE than "a little unhinged."
    Maybe he did that, but, as he's quite the cultured gentleman, I'm quite certain he refrained from using the f-bomb.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I love how it was *ketchup* that the valet had to clean off the wall in the dining room.

You know it was a cheeseburger and fries.

Thanks

I love how it was *ketchup* that the valet had to clean off the wall in the dining room.

You know it was a cheeseburger and fries.
    I wonder who pays for a president's meals, especially those without foreign dignitaries.

M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I wonder who pays for a president's meals, especially those without foreign dignitaries.
    US taxpayers.

I would be happy to pay for the medications required by a former president: anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

As a desk jockey, I reckon you never spent much time with ex-marines or bikers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    As a desk jockey, I reckon you never spent much time with ex-marines or bikers.
    I think dneal means in the forums.

Thanks

@dneal - Are you listening (or reading the transcripts from) the hearing? If so, any comments? To those that "lean left" please don't comment AT dneal.