Thread: INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT - YULETIDE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT - YULETIDE

INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT RED EDITION:
    YULETIDE

In 2019, Diamine made strategic marketing move by offering the first of its kind Inkvent Calendar for the holiday season. It was extremely popular and sold out quickly. But later, they introduced each 2019 Inkvent inks as the Blue Edition in a new and beautifully shaped glass bottle to be marketed on a regular basis. Again, the response was overwhelming. Very likely because of the Covid pandemic, the Inkvent Calendar was not introduced for the 2020 holiday season.

In September of 2021, Diamine announced the 2021 Inkvent Calendar Red Edition. This Inkvent Calendar included slightly larger bottles for the first 24 days and a regular sized 30 ml bottle for the Day 25 ink. In addition, Diamine produced more 2021 Inkvent Calendars, which are still obtainable at some pen stores.

There have been numerous introductions of the 2021 inks shown across the internet - myself included here on fpgeeks - including many YouTube videos. The intent with this Review in Brief is to perhaps give the reader a bit more information about one of the inks that I particularly liked from the Calendar.

Pen and Ink.jpg

Diamine’s Yuletide is classified as a Standard ink. It was presented as the Day 24 ink. Yuletide does not have any shimmer, but it does have a small amount of deep red sheen. The ink is a beautiful shade of teal, close in color to Sailor Yama Dori but with less sheen, but has more sheen than Monteverde Iced Cookie, another nice teal ink. This is a nicely behaved ink, with no hard starts, no bleeding or feathering. The ink itself is not lubricated, and is only slightly dry, but flows well on all papers used. It dries much quicker than Yami Dori and Monteverde Iced Cookie but has minimal water resistance.

The pen used for the brief review is a Lamy Safari – Petrol with broad and stub nibs. And the paper that I chose for this review is Rhodia 80 gsm paper. I

Review 2.jpg

Review close up.jpg

All of the above images were taken under LED light with a Nikon Z50 mirrorless camera with a Nikon DX 16-50 3.5-6.3 lens, then cropped and minimally processed to remove background color-cast using Luminar.

Here is the ink on Tomoe River 52 gsm paper:

YULETIDE TR.jpg

I also used this ink on a number of other papers including HP copy paper, Exacompta Bloc memo paper, Staedler Engineers pad, Cambridge notebook paper and Fabriano Mixed Media 110 lb paper. This ink performed well on all of these using both a fine or broad nib pen.

I also found this to be a nice ink to sketch and doodle with. The ink likes to play with water and does not have a granular effect, which for me, makes it a good ink for watercolor doodles.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 5th, 2022), junglejim (January 8th, 2022), mizgeorge (January 5th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 7th, 2022), Scrawler (January 5th, 2022), Yazeh (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT - YULETIDE

Very nice review--thank you! And thank you for comparing to BPC Jade Inferno!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to damfino For This Useful Post:

DrPenfection (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damfino View Post
    Very nice review--thank you! And thank you for comparing to BPC Jade Inferno!
    You are welcome. BPC Jade Inferno is one of my favorite bluish-green inks, but Yuletide is definitely more blue than green.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Great job... Dr. P... how does this compare to Akkerma's Israel Zeeblauw?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great job... Dr. P... how does this compare to Akkerma's Israel Zeeblauw?
    Just for you, Yazeh, I have used up my last two drops of Zeeblauw for this comparison:

IMG_7278.jpg

Obviously "Y" is Yuletide.

Akkerman's Israel Zeeblauw is close, but lighter. It is also drier and feathers more.
    Last edited by DrPenfection; January 5th, 2022 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Thank you so much. Funny that both inks are made by Diamine, one is naught the other nice. Z seems to shade nicely. I was tempted to buy Zeeblauw, just for the name, but I settled for Delfts Blauw..