Thread: INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT - NIGHT SHADE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 698 Posts

Default INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT - NIGHT SHADE

INK REVIEW IN BRIEF: DIAMINE 2021 INKVENT RED EDITION:
    NIGHT SHADE

In 2019, Diamine made strategic marketing move by offering the first of its kind Inkvent Calendar for the holiday season. It was extremely popular and sold out quickly. But later, they introduced each 2019 Inkvent inks as the Blue Edition in a new and beautifully shaped glass bottle to be marketed on a regular basis. Again, the response was overwhelming. Very likely because of the Covid pandemic, the Inkvent Calendar was not introduced for the 2020 holiday season.

In late September of 2021, Diamine announced the 2021 Inkvent Calendar Red Edition. This Inkvent Calendar included slightly larger bottles for the first 24 days and a regular sized 30 ml bottle for the Day 25 ink. In addition, Diamine produced more 2021 Calendars, which are still obtainable at some pen stores.

There have been numerous introductions of the 2021 inks shown across the internet - myself included here on fpgeeks - including many YouTube videos. The intent with this Review in Brief is to perhaps give the reader a bit more information about one of the inks that I particularly liked from the Calendar.

Pen and Ink.jpg

Diamine’s Night Shade is classified as a Standard ink. It was presented as the Day 15 ink. Night Shade has no shimmer or sheen. The ink is a very nice purple, but has components of turquoise and pink in it. It is not deeply saturated but has very nice shading - from a light lavender all the way to deep purple. In my ink collection, the closest color match is that of Sailor Manyo Kakitsubata which is a darker purple, but also shades nicely. This is a well behaved ink, with no hard starts, no bleeding or feathering. The ink itself is not lubricated like the Sailor ink is, and is only slightly dry, but not nearly as dry as Tanzanite Sky. It flows very well on all papers used. It dries much quicker than the comparative inks shown below but has little to no water resistance. Night Shade plays well in water and is a wonderful mixing ink.

The pen used for the brief review is a Leonardo Momento Zero (Positano) with a 1.1 stub nib. While this ink works well in a fine nib, a stub nib really shows the shading ability of the ink.

And the paper that I chose for this review is Rhodia 80 gsm paper. If you wish to see how the ink looks on Tomoe River or Fabriano Ecoqua paper, please refer to my Musings thread (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...kvent-Calendar).

Also, all images were taken under LED light with a Nikon Z50 mirrorless camera with a Nikon DX 16-50 3.5-6.3 lens, then cropped and minimally processed to remove background color-cast using Luminar.

Review 2.jpg

review 3 close up 1.jpg

review 4 swatchs.jpg

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 10th, 2022), jeffj (January 6th, 2022), junglejim (January 8th, 2022), Pterodactylus (January 7th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 5th, 2022)