Thread: Phileas and Kultur redux

Thanks
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 355 Posts

Default Phileas and Kultur redux

The main focus of my collecting is ' pre war' , but I'm not so one eyed that I don't appreciate and even love some later model pens ; I have lots !
    But the Phileas and many ( but by no means all !!) Kulturs are really nice pens.
    I don't bother too much with rollers and pencils, and collecting 'sets' is , to me wasting 2/3 of my money .
    Of course, there are thems what say why would you even have twenty pens , but I don't talk to those folk.

There seem to have been two distinct type of Kultur. The solid colours / mottled colours that mimic the Phileas, and the completely unadorned el cheapo ..reflectis /translucent type ones.
    I have always looked out for the former, and have a couple that almost appear to have been 'one offs' !

So here for your pleasure is what I have currently. IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG
    Last edited by Robalone; January 7th, 2022 at 09:59 PM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 8th, 2022), Chrissy (April 15th, 2022), eachan (January 8th, 2022), Jon Szanto (January 7th, 2022), Motomachi10 (August 5th, 2022), penwash (January 8th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (January 8th, 2022), Scrawler (January 8th, 2022), Yazeh (January 13th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Default Re: Phileas and Kultur redux

Nicely done! I've never been completist in collecting the Phils but have always had a number on hand. Most of my motivation is that if I can find one for a reasonable price, it is a wonderful pen to give to people as their first pen. It is wonderful to see a couple of new (to me) color/patterns! Than you for sharing a nice panorama.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Robalone (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

That's a nice collection. I have several and like them. I also liked the Lara Croft Tomb Raider Kulturs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Robalone (January 8th, 2022)

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

pajaro (April 13th, 2022)

Thanks

I have two pens of these Phileas. But my problem is they are both medium. I have a "fine point" spare nib but I can't change it to any pen as it is the most difficult pen section to remove without a tool, I guess . I need a pen Tap and I don't have it. I am planing to make one !!! until then That pen is going to be there idling. It is a bit hefty in the hand.

Thanks

They are definitely quite hard to get out ! I’ve only ever done it with pliers and quite some padding …and much care. !

Thanks

Most of the ones I have are fines, but I have a medium and a L'etalon 18K EF, and I swap them around among the Phileas pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

For those who want to be able to pull the nib/feed from a Phileas section, please take a look at this post on FPN. Full steps and diagram. This was in a long Phil thread started by, and the technique posted by, long-time member Force, who appears to no longer be on FPN. A fairly clever use of Mole ("vice"?) grips, a washer and 2 screwdrivers to use lever action to safely pull the things out. With care, I think this is a good way to go, and have done it a couple of times. I usually run the entire section in an ultrasonic cleaner to get out anything stuck and warm it up a bit.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 23rd, 2022), Robalone (April 15th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

I only have Philis but have swapped nibs in several because I was able to buy spare L'Etalon 18ct nibs to fit them and I have 3 or 4 Philis with gold nibs.

I always carefully follow the instructions highlighted by Jon that were given several years ago by member "Force" on the other place:

Always start with a long USC section clean so that the section is well warmed and wet with cleaner. Then wrap a very thick multi folded wedge of kitchen roll around the nib and feed before gripping it fairly tightly, as close to the section edge as you can get, and pulling it straight out with a pair of pliers. You will need the section screwed back into the barrel for purchase. By now I know how much kitchen towel I need to use and how much force I need to pull but admittedly the first time is very scary. You have to be careful to cause no damage. If I had proper pliers with black rubber around their jaws I would use them but I don't and neither hard rubber nor those spark plug red pliers will do the job. I just wrap electrical tape around the strong jaws of my pliers before I start. If you have some Platinum pen flush sachets available the cleaner in those seems to help a lot by making the nib and feed more slippery and easier to get in and out of the section.

It needs to be pushed back into a specific spot and should click into place when pushed. Once it's been out it seems to be easier the next time.

I'm really precious with my pens and if I can do this then anyone can.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 23rd, 2022 at 12:19 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Motomachi10 (August 5th, 2022), Robalone (April 15th, 2022)

Thanks

When I pulled the Phileas nib to put in the L'etalon nib, I heated the section and used a rubber gripper to pull the Phileas nib. I had no difficulty with it and I gripped the nib and feed and pulled, in a turning motion.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 15th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    For those who want to be able to pull the nib/feed from a Phileas section, please take a look at this post on FPN. Full steps and diagram. This was in a long Phil thread started by, and the technique posted by, long-time member Force, who appears to no longer be on FPN. A fairly clever use of Mole ("vice"?) grips, a washer and 2 screwdrivers to use lever action to safely pull the things out. With care, I think this is a good way to go, and have done it a couple of times. I usually run the entire section in an ultrasonic cleaner to get out anything stuck and warm it up a bit.
    Thank you Jon, your answer with info was very helpful . So I could tinker my pen later on a day..
    Cheers _ Cyril

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 22nd, 2022)