Thread: Full flex Jowo nib

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Full flex Jowo nib

Fully lost interest
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 13th, 2022 at 01:30 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

vdiantonio (January 13th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Full flex Jowo nib

This looks interesting EOC, never heard of it before, thanks for pointing it out.

I knew this site for offering nib repairs, retipping but not customizing nibs.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; January 12th, 2022 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks

The question for me is also, as these nibs come with a #5 Jowo nib housing (incl feed) which pens are compatible to just screw in the nib unit without any further modification?

So just #5 nib compatibility is not enough in this case when you don’t want to fiddle around with feed and housing, ideal case would be screw out the old nib unit, screw in the FPNibs one.

I saw no reference list on their site.

Selling them as nib unit can be a huge benefit if nib and feed are optimized to work together.

From my own experience, modifying a nib to get additional flex is not that complicated (e.g. EMF mod) but getting the feed right to be able to keep up and work well with the nib is much more challenging (sometimes really really hard, up to the point that you can’t get it fixed 100%).

So getting a complete already tuned nib unit, ready to just screw in is tempting, but what is really needed here is a reference list of compatible pens.

Thanks

EOC, I saw the page.

From the description I think they sell complete nib units

Jowo Stainless Steel nib with ebonite feeder and ABS plastic threaded housing.
    Therefor my question, which pens can take this nib unit without any modification, just screw it in.

And this question is not answered.
    Many manufacturers use their own feed/nib unit and still can host a #5 Jowo nib.

So the fact that a pen can host a #5 Jowo nib is imho not enough.

The question is which pens can take the whole nib unit (nib, feed and housing) without any modification by just screwing it in?

Because only this ensures plug and play.
    And the #5 full flex performed in the video extremely well.

The #6 with it’s railroading I already would consider as a failure (out of the box).
    And the FPR ultra (also known as EMF mod nibs ) was an catastrophic event as it completely stopped writing when flexed.

So a flex nib is only part of the game, only in combination with the proper feed it will become a pleasure to use.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    FC pens take the whole #5 unit. That's the only brand I know that does, but there must be others or they wouldn't make that unit. No doubt someone has that info and will be along presently!
    Franklin-Christoph/Jowo no. 5 nib units fit the Faber-Castell Loom, which probably means they fit Ondoro and other similar Faber-Castell models too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (January 12th, 2022)

Thanks

I'm sure the gentleman at Ranga can make a pen to fit the #5 Jowo too. That would be a $50 pen, or thereabouts.

As for the post #7, damning a country, a company and an individual for one screw-up hardly seems fair. For the record I've got several custom ground nibs from FPNibs and they are all superb writers, and I've heard similar plaudits from others.
    That's nice, glad it worked out for you and others. Not condemning that entire country at all.
    But I was sent a piece of shit nib and will respond/review accordingly, so...
    Not taking the "High road" when a manufacturer doesn't live up to their reputation.
    They had one shot to fulfill an order, they screwed it up.
    Moving on.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Detman, we hardly can judge how good or bad your nib was.

But as somebody who already added flexibility to nibs and also ground nibs myself.
    Imho regrind also a flexible nib is not an issue at all, so I cannot agree to what your expert told you.
    As long as enough tipping material is left you can modify it to whatever you like.

And just as a side note, italic nibs especially with flex can be a bit finicky to handle regarding writing slant and angle.

Thanks

But I was sent a piece of shit nib and will respond/review accordingly, so...
    Then respond/review that nib accordingly, but you would do well not to project the problems you had with it such that you are now saying the company is not worth buying from and Pablo doesn't know what he is doing, when the majority of the evidence strongly suggests otherwise. Mistakes do get made, everywhere and by pretty much everyone at some time.

I also note that the company in question puts a statement on their flexible nibs to the effect that they recommend these nibs for experienced calligraphers, and that the nibs are not suitable for regular writing. I suspect this is underpinned by the desire not to have to deal with hamfisted users who blame the tool and not their lack of skill when they have damaged the nib. That is, in many aspects, a sign of our times. If a person learns to write as if they were holding a baby bird in their hand, as the saying goes, then one can indeed use these nibs as daily drivers. The same issue happened with the Pilot FA nib, with the common wisdom being that it is not a daily usable nib. This is of course quite incorrect, and feed issues aside (which can be corrected by swapping in an ebonite feed), the nib is eminently usable and enjoyable, but it requires the user to have requisite skills.
    Hahahahahaha...well hell! Why didn't you say at the start that this was the "FPNibs cocksmokin buttboy fanclub" thread?
    I reviewed it as I experienced it, and my opinion of their products stays the same. But feel free to extoll their virtues along with your buddies...
    But I'll leave you to your circle-jerk fun, I've already forgotten it...and FPNibs.
    Deuces.

Thanks

Boy, fuck you and your attitude...lol. There's nothing subtle about me.
    I removed cause I wanted to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Next up, nib reviews by your local frat house.

Thanks

Boy, that thread exploded. Not nice.

Thanks

I‘m not scared, the nib in the video looks interesting, there is plenty of positive feedback for FPNibs.

So I‘m tempted to order a #5 flex unit when I can find a nice body I might like which can house it.
    I‘ve sent them a question regarding compatible bodies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,253 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    I‘m not scared, the nib in the video looks interesting, there is plenty of positive feedback for FPNibs.

So I‘m tempted to order a #5 flex unit when I can find a nice body I might like which can house it.
    I‘ve sent them a question regarding compatible bodies.
    Ptero I think you can opus 88 Koloro pens take nib unit 5...
    Alternatively you can get their pen (which has no nib) and the #5 unit...
    Last edited by Yazeh; January 13th, 2022 at 08:28 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Pterodactylus (January 13th, 2022)

Thanks

So far I didn’t got a response to my email, which is quite poor for a company which want to sell something.

Imho it is not asked too much that a company answers questions of possible customers in a reasonable timeframe.
    For me such bad (or in this case none existing) communication disqualifies them from buying something.

Easy to loose potential customers, but maybe they have enough and don’t care.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 18th, 2022)