Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Trumo Really Believe He Lost?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: Does Trumo Really Believe He Lost?

Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/crKDDS5D_os

"Shed a Little Light," a cappella
    Last edited by TSherbs; January 17th, 2022 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks

Chuck, WTF?

AL.com: Alabama still has combined Martin Luther King, Robert E. Lee holiday.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/alab...e-holiday.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Chuck, WTF?

AL.com: Alabama still has combined Martin Luther King, Robert E. Lee holiday.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/01/alab...e-holiday.html
    Had no idea.

Well, it is the Heart of Dixie after all.

That said, I am listening to We Shall Overcome. There are those of us who were uneducated and came to understand the work that was done by people who's only crime was being from African descent. As I look at my precious little ones, I get it and I am blessed to have been helped by African American friends who were not angry and helped me to see. They call me a "reverse oreo".
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; January 17th, 2022 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    There was a Civil War General named Nathan Bedford Forrest. He was also a slave trader and Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan. There was a statue erected to his honor in the state capital. Is this information of importance to you? Is this something you would want members of your family to know? Does it matter morally to you that a person like this be honored?
    Given your research you should be able to tell us if this is true"
    As Ben Phelan with PBS writes:

"After only a year as Grand Wizard, in January 1869, faced with an ungovernable membership employing methods that seemed increasingly counterproductive, Forrest issued KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." By the end of his life, Forrest's racial attitudes would evolve -- in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school -- and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the all-but-vanished Klan."

If you read Eddy W. Davison's "Nathan Bedford Forrest: In Search of the Enigma," on page 464 and 474-475, you can see that Forrest not only publicly disavowed the KKK and worked to terminate it, but in August 1874, Forrest "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks." After the murder of four blacks by a lynch mob after they were arrested for defending themselves at a BBQ, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    There was a Civil War General named Nathan Bedford Forrest. He was also a slave trader and Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan. There was a statue erected to his honor in the state capital. Is this information of importance to you? Is this something you would want members of your family to know? Does it matter morally to you that a person like this be honored?
    Given your research you should be able to tell us if this is true"
    As Ben Phelan with PBS writes:

"After only a year as Grand Wizard, in January 1869, faced with an ungovernable membership employing methods that seemed increasingly counterproductive, Forrest issued KKK General Order Number One: "It is therefore ordered and decreed, that the masks and costumes of this Order be entirely abolished and destroyed." By the end of his life, Forrest's racial attitudes would evolve -- in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school -- and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the all-but-vanished Klan."

If you read Eddy W. Davison's "Nathan Bedford Forrest: In Search of the Enigma," on page 464 and 474-475, you can see that Forrest not only publicly disavowed the KKK and worked to terminate it, but in August 1874, Forrest "volunteered to help 'exterminate' those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks." After the murder of four blacks by a lynch mob after they were arrested for defending themselves at a BBQ, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering "to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes."

I’ll leave the history for you since you’re the expert, but look up the Fort Pillow massacre in April 1864.

Thanks

Thanks

What a horrible thing to claim an affinity with:
    " "Delaware," he noted, was a 'slave state that fought beside the North. That's only because we couldn't figure out how to get to the South. There were a couple of states in the way.'" (emphasis added)
    "You don't know my state. My state was a slave state, my state is a border state..."

Thanks

Notice you went from a rep power of zero to 9...LOL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Notice you went from a rep power of zero to 9...LOL!!
    Why do you care about rep? It seemed important when you had more, but now it’s not when you have less.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Notice you went ...
    Chuck refuses to acknowledge Biden being a Confederate in his heart. Post 67.
    The more he deflects the more you know he can't rebut.

Thanks

I’ll have to think more about Biden being a Confederate.

Thanks

That said, how I have refused?

Thanks

At least the charge is overstated real estate. NY is coming after the Trumps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bold2013 View Post

I am all for routing out partiality and learning from the horrid mistakes of US past. CRT will not bring about these desired ends.
    Not clear if you have read anything about "CRT". Start with the real thing: Delgado and Stefancic's Introduction. https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Race...ps%2C91&sr=8-2

If studies of racism, slavery, and American history make you nervous, the start with Winthrop Jordan's "White Over Black". https://www.amazon.com/White-Over-Bl...ps%2C98&sr=8-2
    I have read a few books on the subject (admittedly nothing directly from the woke canon).

How can a system using partiality fix the sin of partiality (which has a real and horrid past)?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bold2013 For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 20th, 2022)

Thanks

A new study suggests Republicans don’t actually believe he won, but saying so serves a political purpose, see NYT for details. Anyway, if they actually believed, more than 2000 would have shown up on 1/6/21. Which means 73 million didn’t consider it something to protest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post

I am all for routing out partiality and learning from the horrid mistakes of US past. CRT will not bring about these desired ends.
    Not clear if you have read anything about "CRT". Start with the real thing: Delgado and Stefancic's Introduction. https://www.amazon.com/Critical-Race...ps%2C91&sr=8-2

If studies of racism, slavery, and American history make you nervous, the start with Winthrop Jordan's "White Over Black". https://www.amazon.com/White-Over-Bl...ps%2C98&sr=8-2
    I have read a few books on the subject (admittedly nothing directly from the woke canon).

How can a system using partiality fix the sin of partiality (which has a real and horrid past)?
    There is no "woke canon". Delgado and Stefancic are the main living law professors who discuss Critical Race Theory. It is work in law schools that tries to figure out ways to extend the Civil Rights Movement. What does "partiality" have to do with their arguments? Do you have any idea what "Critical Race Theory" is about? It sounds like you are ignorantly spouting the Party Line that Fox News poured into you last year. They made it up. Go read something.

Here. At the least, stop repeating idiocy. Learn something about slavery and racism, about the slave system, about the coming of the Civil War, about Reconstruction.

- the fundamental work is Winthrop Jordan, "White Over Black". Jordan asked whether English racism caused slavery or whether slavery cause English Americans to develop racist notions about enslaved people. https://www.amazon.com/White-Over-Bl...ps%2C83&sr=8-1

- a shorter work: Edmund Morgan, "American Slavery, American Freedom". Morgan was one of the best Colonial historians, from his work on Puritan families to the founding of Rhode Island to the Stamp Act. This book, one of his last, examines how the Virginia colony came to depend on slave labor.
    https://www.amazon.com/American-Slav...ps%2C97&sr=8-1

- David Brion Davis, "The Problem of Slavery in the Age of Revolution". Part of a three-volume study. https://www.amazon.com/Problem-Slave...s%2C134&sr=8-1

- Christopher L. Brown, "Moral Capital". A study of the abolitionist movement in Great Britain, which examines the interactions between British and Americans in coming to anti-slavery views and abolitionism in the 1770s and 1780s. How did moral outrage become a movement that outlawed the Trans-Atlantic slave trade about 1790, and then abolished slavery in the British Empire in the 1830s?
    https://www.amazon.com/Moral-Capital...5&sr=8-1-fkmr0

- Manisha Sinha, "The Slaves Cause: A History of Abolition". https://www.amazon.com/Slaves-Cause-...ps%2C97&sr=8-1

- Kenneth M. Stampp: "The Peculiar Institution". https://www.amazon.com/Peculiar-Inst...ps%2C77&sr=8-2

- Eugene Genovese, "Roll, Jordan, Roll: The Work the Slaves Made". https://www.amazon.com/Roll-Jordan-W...s%2C110&sr=8-1

- Eric Foner, "Reconstruction". The standard history of Reconstruction. https://www.amazon.com/Reconstructio...ps%2C77&sr=8-1

- See, also, a digital resource called "Slave Voyages". In the last twenty years, researchers have logged more and more of slave-ship voyages by ship name, starting point, stops, number of slaves, landing in North and South America, return voyages, and by date. Something that is handy with a computer and a database.
    https://www.slavevoyages.org/

These are just a few of the standard works. They demonstrate that slavery has been intermeshed with America -- culture, society, economy -- from the beginning. Later for a sampling of works on everything from 1877 through 1970.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 20th, 2022)

Thanks

On the topic of using partiality to right partiality, this is always what justice has done. It's what Jesus means when he says that the meek shall inherit the earth. Justice is when the collective moral and ethical conscience of a society puts its thumb on a scale to right a wrong (or compensate a victim, reward the righteous). This has been done all through human history, all through the Bible (by God). Perfect impartiality is not the goal, nor is it possible (in this life). CRT is an attempt to identify the often subtler and systemic injustices in our society and address possible acts of rectification. This is a wise, intelligent, informed, and deeply American activity. We believe, at least in principle, with liberty and justice for all, a more perfect union.... an attempt to establish justice and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. CRT is an attempt to keep pushing for these goals.
    Last edited by TSherbs; January 20th, 2022 at 03:33 AM.

Thanks

I did a word study on what it means to be meek decades ago. I won't bore anyone with a long explanation except to say that it can mean simply to not seek your own way.

Today the US is divided because groups seek their own way without taking into consideration the welfare of others. We do it automatically, mindlessly. We are not even aware. However often we have been programed by experience, teachers, and mentors to seek our own way.

To live in the US and not understand the history of indigenous, forced African immigration, and Chinese immigrants is more than simply not being taught. It has become a woeful and willful mindset since information is readily available. Whites recoil against the notion they may have an advantage. They see others as a threat. Microaggression toward these groups have just become the common vernacular.

For me, the term woke means to become aware and something positive.

Two authors that have helped me are Eric Foner's, The Second Founding and W.E.B Debois' The Souls of Black Folk.

Thanks

I did a word study on what it means to be meek decades ago. I won't bore anyone with a long explanation except to say that it can mean simply to not seek your own way.

Today the US is divided because groups seek their own way without taking into consideration the welfare of others. We do it automatically, mindlessly. We are not even aware. However often we have been programed by experience, teachers, and mentors to seek our own way.

To live in the US and not understand the history of indigenous, forced African immigration, and Chinese immigrants is more than simply not being taught. It has become a woeful and willful mindset since information is readily available. Whites recoil against the notion they may have an advantage. They see others as a threat. Microaggression toward these groups have just become the common vernacular.

For me, the term woke means to become aware and something positive.

Two authors that have helped me are Eric Foner's, The Second Founding and W.E.B Debois' The Souls of Black Folk.

Or try this: The first shall be last and the last shall be first.....Or any of the punishment/reward passages (there are many, in both the OT and the NT)....

Thanks

I have evolved to believe that Christianity has centered its focus too much on punishment and reward. This produces the concept of "I am not perfect, but I am saved" mental construct. This causes them to miss passages like, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", or "love your neighbor as you love yourself". One does not need to be "saved" to follow Jesus' words. It is easier to just say your saved, than actually be a disciple of Jesus. I will add, Buddhists are no better.