Thread: Vintage Montblanc 149 B/BB

Thanks

Default Vintage Montblanc 149 B/BB

Here I have for sale a precious vintage Montblanc 149 that hails from 1965, was well looked after and lovingly cared about))).
    The pen is in a superb condition and boasts a 18C 750 tri-colour gold nib in B/BB.
    The nib is extraordinarily thick and looks just gorgeous!
    The feed is round ebonite, grooves face.
    The piston is friction fit, plastic threads.
    Asking $750 plus shipping.
    Last edited by Igor; January 16th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Vintage Montblanc 149 B/BB

Would be happy to be advised on pricing for this pen.

Please PM me with comments or offers!
    Thanks!

Thanks

Price corrected to $750 plus PP fees and shipping.
    Offers are most welcome!

Thanks

Most likely not a buyer as I have a very similar pen in my collection already(shame it's not 14C as the 14C tri-tones are uncommon and seem to have somewhat mythical status for their flexibility), but I think your new price is very reasonable considering how nice this one looks.

For reference, I paid $600 for mine, and it's not as nice as yours. Mine's also a bit less stubby, and although it's all very subjective I tend to be willing to pay a small premium for the stubbier Bs.

Thanks

Price update: $700 plus PP fees and shipping

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Most likely not a buyer as I have a very similar pen in my collection already(shame it's not 14C as the 14C tri-tones are uncommon and seem to have somewhat mythical status for their flexibility), but I think your new price is very reasonable considering how nice this one looks.

For reference, I paid $600 for mine, and it's not as nice as yours. Mine's also a bit less stubby, and although it's all very subjective I tend to be willing to pay a small premium for the stubbier Bs.
    Oh, thank you for your opinion)))
    Are those legendary 14C nibs any close to my 18C in there rareness, what do you think?
    Many thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post

Oh, thank you for your opinion)))
    Are those legendary 14C nibs any close to my 18C in there rareness, what do you think?
    Many thanks!
    My 149 of this age has nearly the same as yours-tri-tone 18C, although perhaps a bit narrower and/or a bit less stubby(I'd have to take a really close look at it...maybe this will poke me to ink it later today as I don't currently have a 149 inked).

From my observation and listening to others I trust, 18C tri-tone is the "normal" nib on these friction piston pens. When MB went primarily to 14C a few years later(18C continued for some purposes...the common story is French market pens as France requires minimum 750 gold to call something "gold"), the nibs also went to two tone. When they went back to 18K in the 90s, the nibs went back to tri-tone.

The 14C tri-tones, to my knowledge and from my observation, mostly turn up on 50s and 60s pens. For friction piston pens, they show up much less often, and seem to mostly be a celluloid pen thing. The celluloid 149s are in a different realm of pricing-I rarely see them under $2K now.

In any case, the 14C tri-tone nibs have something of a mystique around them because of their flexibility. I can't speak to this first hand, but 585 nibs(you'll see them called 14c, 14C, and 14K) were the norm for gold nibbed German pens of the era which are also largely know to have some degree of flex. I've found that on "lesser" MBs(I had a 142 nearing what some might call "wet noodle") of that age, and it's also associated with Pelikans and other makes.

My 18C tri-tone has a bit of bounce, but is nowhere near as flexible as my smaller 14C Montblancs or my Pelikans of the same general age.

Thanks

Price update: $650 plus PP fees and shipping

Thanks

Price update: $600 plus PP fees and shipping

Thanks

Writing sample? Does it flex?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk