Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use your MB fountain pen?

Thanks

Default How often do you use your MB fountain pen?

Hey all,

I’m interested to know the frequency in which you all use your Montblanc fountain pen.
    I use my 146 all day at my office taking notes and signing the occasional document.

When I leave, the 146 comes with me in my shirt pocket.
    It seems as of late, my MB comes with me everywhere. From jeans and T-shirt going to the grocery store, to suit and tie/tuxedo for special occasions.

What say ye all? How often do you use yours and does it come with you 24/7?

Obligatory pic. My 146 and my Leuchtturm 1917

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to techjunkie25 For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 22nd, 2022), Chuck Naill (February 16th, 2022), Dave Quail (January 23rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022), Scrawler (November 26th, 2022)

Thanks

Default Re: How often do you use your MB fountain pen?

Since I don't have an MB, and I don't expect to ever have one, I am obviously the perfect person to answer this, right? (Choke cough choke)

This seems to me what most people would have done back in the days of having one or maybe two fountain pens - carry the one they had or their favorite of the two they had, everywhere they might need a pen. (None of the people I've been able to speak to in my family had a fountain pen before my mother used one with a cart in College - probably a Wearever or a Scripto or a Sheaffer School pen - they had pens at the office, if they worked in an office, and dip pens and ink at home. So they didn't carry any pen around at all.)

The question arises today because, of course, an MB is a nice piece of change and anyone who owns one seems likely to be able to afford another pen to carry around to places where the MB is not crucial for the sake of being an MB, which is sort of what makes this a valid question. But frankly, if you like it, if it is the pen that makes you smile when you write and it performs well for you, then why not carry it everywheret?

I personally am prone to misplacing things. It is worse when I am under any stress. I tend to keep my more expensive pens at home so I won't lose them. But someone who is better at keeping track of things than I am does not necessarily need to feel that way.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

InesF (January 20th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    Since I don't have an MB, and I don't expect to ever have one, I am obviously the perfect person to answer this, right? (Choke cough choke)

This seems to me what most people would have done back in the days of having one or maybe two fountain pens - carry the one they had or their favorite of the two they had, everywhere they might need a pen. (None of the people I've been able to speak to in my family had a fountain pen before my mother used one with a cart in College - probably a Wearever or a Scripto or a Sheaffer School pen - they had pens at the office, if they worked in an office, and dip pens and ink at home. So they didn't carry any pen around at all.)

The question arises today because, of course, an MB is a nice piece of change and anyone who owns one seems likely to be able to afford another pen to carry around to places where the MB is not crucial for the sake of being an MB, which is sort of what makes this a valid question. But frankly, if you like it, if it is the pen that makes you smile when you write and it performs well for you, then why not carry it everywheret?

I personally am prone to misplacing things. It is worse when I am under any stress. I tend to keep my more expensive pens at home so I won't lose them. But someone who is better at keeping track of things than I am does not necessarily need to feel that way.
    No, I appreciate the thoughts for sure. Let me not misrepresent myself, the only reason I have a MB is because for one, I grabbed it preowned and the other I got new, but for an amazing price, WELL BELOW retail. If the new one had been full retail, I wouldn’t have bought it. I just don’t make the kind of money where I am willing to throw almost 1k at a pen, regardless of make or prestige.

I find myself extremely lucky and thankful that I’ve come across the pens I have, at the prices that they were.

I do enjoy using my mb 149 and 146 quite often, however, I do have my TWSBI diamond 580 that I’m quite fond of as well as a Lamy safari, these have all been carried extensively before my luck and wallet ran into the Montblanc side of things.
    I do, however carry a pilot custom 74 in medium that I believe to be just as smooth as the MB. There’s just something about the Montblanc, a charm about it basically being the same pen that it was when it was created, a certain classical aesthetic and feeling that keeps drawing me back to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to techjunkie25 For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 22nd, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022), scrivelry (January 17th, 2022)

Thanks

I use the pens infrequently. I do use a 163R rollerball with a porous point refill every other day or so. The fountain pens maybe once a week. I just don't need them very much.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

While I do have an 146, my favorite MB is by far my two 344.

Which I would probably use more often if I am not constantly rotating between the vintage pens I source and restore
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

My first MB was the 149 with Fine nib that I bought new from Fahrney's for (I think) $125.00 in the mid 1970's. It was my daily writer at work, through law school (wrote the essay portion of the Texas Bar Exam with it) and for my first few jobs post law school. It was damaged in the 1990's through my carelessness (dropped nib-first onto a hardwood floor), and I figured it was a goner. It sat it various drawers for many years thereafter, until I discovered this site and the existence of nib meisters, specifically Mike Masuyama, who restored the nib. It writes beautifully now, though I seldom use it . . . and will never sell it.
    Last edited by Robert; January 18th, 2022 at 04:37 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 18th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022), Scrawler (January 21st, 2022)

Thanks

Working remotely, I use a 149 and a WE daily. When working out and about the 149 is in the rotation. Before I cracked the cap (operator error) a 256 was in heavy rotation, as was a 14 with a stubbed nib.

Thanks

Until my Montblanc 146 Rose Gold Anniversary edition (Broad nib) sprung a leak a couple of months ago, it was one of my every day carries. I bought it used on this forum.

Sadly, after reading concerns on this board about timeliness and quality of the Jewelry Repair Service, I've deferred getting it fixed.

Meanwhile, my first Montblanc, a Classique cartridge filler (Fine nib) that I bought at the Navy Exchange in San Diego in 1991, gets daily use addressing envelopes and writing entries in my observing log.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022)

Thanks

I've used my 149 at least a few times a week ever since I got it in the mid-1990's.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tde44 For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022)

Thanks

I always have at least one inked.

Right now it's what I call my favorite 146-transitional W. Germany serial numbered model, split ebonite feed, M two-tone nib. I've had it longer than any of my others save for a 24, and from about 2017 to really last year it was more or less the only pen I used.

Once it's empty, I'll probably pull one of my 149s back out for daily carry.

Pens in this category are pens I pull out multiple times a day most any time I need to write something(unless it's a dedicated writing session, then a different pen, Montblanc or otherwise, might get used).

So, the answer for me would be nearly every day, and sometimes multiple different MBs in a given day.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 19th, 2022)

Thanks

I use my MB 146 everyday, it was a gift from my wife, purchased in Harrods in the late 1970,s It has a broad nib.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Boston Brian For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 19th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

It's been about four or five years since I used one of my Montblanc fountain pens and all but one of the newer generations have gone off to Forever Homes. Maybe when I empty the Aurora 888P this time I'll pull out one of my 234½s or maybe a celluloid 14x.
    Attached Images Attached Images

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), dneal (February 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Aaron at Pentiques fixed my leaking 146 90th Anniversary Edition with Rose Gold nib, and I use it daily to keep the MB Lucky Orange ink flowing.

He returned the pen to me within two weeks, and I highly recommend Aaron's repair services.

- Bob

MB-146 repaired.jpg
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

junglejim (February 17th, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2022), Yazeh (February 17th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie25 View Post
    Hey all,

I’m interested to know the frequency in which you all use your Montblanc fountain pen.
    I use my 146 all day at my office taking notes and signing the occasional document.

When I leave, the 146 comes with me in my shirt pocket.
    It seems as of late, my MB comes with me everywhere. From jeans and T-shirt going to the grocery store, to suit and tie/tuxedo for special occasions.

What say ye all? How often do you use yours and does it come with you 24/7?

Obligatory pic. My 146 and my Leuchtturm 1917
    That makes it all the more special to use it as you describe.

Thanks

Beautiful pen! I only have one MB, a little 22 from the 70s. (Hope to add a 146 at some point, and maybe some day one of the lighter LEs--a Schiller or Fitzgerald or Kafka or Poe...) I like the nib a lot, but I was going to sell the pen since it's a little small for my taste; then a kind PIF here landed me a really nice leather notebook cover with a pen loop, and the only pen to fit it perfectly was the 22, so now it goes everywhere with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    Beautiful pen! I only have one MB, a little 22 from the 70s. (Hope to add a 146 at some point, and maybe some day one of the lighter LEs--a Schiller or Fitzgerald or Kafka or Poe...) I like the nib a lot, but I was going to sell the pen since it's a little small for my taste; then a kind PIF here landed me a really nice leather notebook cover with a pen loop, and the only pen to fit it perfectly was the 22, so now it goes everywhere with me.
    Very nice. When you have a chance, please tell us what notebook, and notebook cover those are. Thank you
    Bob

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

I have a Generation, a 132 (I THINK?) and a kugel nib official tester 145… or whichever model is a screw-in cart-filler. They were all secondhand, so I'm not too certain of the numbers.

All write well. I use the Generation in the summer with a light blue ink. And I should probably use the 132 more often but I have too many pens filled already.

One day I might find a 149 or 146.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Thanks! Took me a long time to find the right sizes and shapes, but now I'm good to go. It's a Roterfaden "Taschenbegleiter" WK12 cover, for A6 notebooks. Currently I've got a single Masuya Monokaki in it, but it has two sets of holder prongs, so once that one's full I'll switch to two thinner notebooks--I've got some Apica CD-10 and some Kokuyo Systemic notebooks waiting in the wings, and then if I'm feeling spendy I'll try Apica Premium CD. What's your set-up?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rkesey For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 18th, 2022), dneal (February 28th, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you, rkesey.

My EDC is a [Black Ice] Rhodia Dot pad No. 12 in a leather Rhodia cover that I bought from Vickerey.com. It's usually in a side pocket in my cargo pants. If traveling, it goes in the camera bag or a vintage Banana Republic correspondent's bag.

When Rhodia Drive interviewed me a few years ago, I mentioned the No. 12 Dot Pad. The link to R Drive no longer works, so I reposted the interview on my blog.

Soltys M6TTL Gratitude Rhodia Dot Pad No11 Web.jpg
    Yes, that's a slide rule in the green sheath.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 18th, 2022 at 06:26 AM.
    Bob

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Cyril (February 20th, 2023)

Thanks

Very nice--and that Leica makes for great company, I'm sure!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to rkesey For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 18th, 2022)