Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use your MB fountain pen?

Thanks

Default Re: How often do you use your MB fountain pen?

Quote Originally Posted by rkesey View Post
    Very nice--and that Leica makes for great company, I'm sure!
    It's another every day carry. It's taken a lickin' and it keeps on clickin'
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), rkesey (February 18th, 2022)

Thanks

I've got a 146 and a 149. Both are great writers! No special treatment, they get used like any other. But, they are competing with about 80 other pens to get in the rotation, so they can go months in storage... I'd say that they get used a bit more than the average pen in the collection though.

Thanks

A former high school classmate gave me a chrome Cross ballpoint pen one year for Christmas.

I left it on a counter at a city office while looking at papers I was signing. When I noticed it was not in my shirt pocket, I went back and happily learned they had put it aside in case I returned to retrieve it.

As a Navy officer, our working uniforms had flap pockets with pen loops, so losing the Montblanc Classique and MB rollerball was not a concern.

Since then, I've managed to hang on to my Montblancs and Pelikans. Perhaps the money I invested in them motivates me to keep better track of them.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Thank you, rkesey.

My EDC is a [Black Ice] Rhodia Dot pad No. 12 in a leather Rhodia cover that I bought from Vickerey.com. It's usually in a side pocket in my cargo pants. If traveling, it goes in the camera bag or a vintage Banana Republic correspondent's bag.

When Rhodia Drive interviewed me a few years ago, I mentioned the No. 12 Dot Pad. The link to R Drive no longer works, so I reposted the interview on my blog.

Attachment 67768
    Yes, that's a slide rule in the green sheath.
    I am glad the way you are equipped !!

This is the die-hard-Killer machine !!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 1,300 Posts

Some years ago I figured I'd figure out the MB thing. I got a 145, 146 and 149 (the last two from the split-ebonite feed era). I got rid of the 145 (too small), even after I had Pendleton Brown grind a butter-line stub, and 149 (too big). The 146 was just right, and it's constantly inked and used every day - as mentioned in this "reviews, revisited" thread.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Barry B. Gabay (November 8th, 2022), catbert (November 25th, 2022), Chrissy (November 5th, 2022), da vinci (November 6th, 2022), dneal (March 1st, 2022)

Thanks

I have to clean and ink up my pens and I have few with some ink. It is fortunate Mont Blanc pen have less drying ink if you leave with for a long period !!!
    That has happened to me several times.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cyril For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Daily. I always have a 149 filled & on my desk. At the moment, it's a one from 1981-82 (one-piece barrel, spit-ebonite feed, and two-tone 14C nib) with a fine nib, filled with Montblanc Toffee Brown ink.

Thanks

Pretty much daily.
    Now that I usually work from home the WE edition is on my desk, inked with Toffee Brown and ready to go.
    An MB 149 was in more frequent use when I went to the firm's office.
    Once in a while another MB finds its way to an ink bottle and then to paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Daily, too. My classic-shaped Montblancs are among my most reliable writers with great capacity.

These three are always inked and ready to go on my desk with three colors of ink (L to R): a '69 149 EF filled with current 60ml MB Royal Blue, a '77 146 EF Arabic/Hebrew* nib filled with old-style 50ml MB IG blue-black, and a '73 149 EF filled with old-style 50ml MB black.

IMG_5435.JPG

* so-called "architect" by some.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 25th, 2022), Chrissy (November 25th, 2022), Cyril (November 14th, 2022)

Thanks

I was going to forum to ask the same question. Hopefully even though the OP is almost a year ago, people will still read this. I was given the MP 149 as a birthday present by my kids :-) Clearly I had raised them right. Anyway up till then my daily driver was a Pilot Custom 823 which I like a lot. But having been given the MP I switched to it and as people know, not only is it a great pen, it writes really well. In fact I now use it every day. It never leaves my desk as my daily writing is almost all just keeping a journal into which I write about an A4 page a day. It's not that I live an exciting life that is worth chronicling but writing a journal each day provides a reason to write something each day to stop my penmenship from going to pot!

I would think the pen and nib would handle this relatively light writing load but was interested in other people's view. Note unlike some other posters on this thread I would never consider taking the pen on the road. There are better suited pens for that.

Thanks

I've been using fountain pens since 2008/2009. Just got my first two Montblancs this year. A 149 and a 146. Of the two I much prefer the 149 and I've been using it pretty regularly. Unfortunately, it started leaking where the nib assembly meets the section. I sent it off to Montblanc for repair last week.

One thing about the 149 is that helped me realize a preference for larger pens. I'm in the process selling my smaller pens and the 146 will probably go on the selling block as well.

Thanks

I use a 146 about every other week, and one of four or five Parker 51s every day. The 51 just fits my hand, although the 146 writes beautifully.

Thanks

I use my 146 around twice a week. I only use FP's, and usually use one of my Lamy FP's as an EDC.

Thanks

I am a writer and prefer to write by hand rather than on computer. I write 5-6 days per week and always have 3 pens on my desk, a MB 149, MB 146, and a Sailor 1911L. I rotate between the three, often in the same day.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonner For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 1st, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 16th, 2023), Robert (January 16th, 2023)

Thanks

I use a 149 daily as a signature pen. Write a lot with an old springy 146 from back in the day.

Thanks

I am about to buy a 146 for daily use. I am debating between F and M. I think medium is what I will get - I will use it mostly for short notes and signatures. I have been using a cheap FP I got on amazon to see if I would enjoy one and I have been loving it. I have been looking at my local MB store to buy one. I’m looking at solitaires on ebay to get a “higher end’ MB for a “standard” price. I located a Ceramic Prisma 146 NIB. I’m about to pull the trigger. Do most of you think a M nib would be better for signatures and notes? For cheap pens and ballpoints i have always used fatter tips like .7 - 1.0. my secretary buys me G2 1.0 mm for throw away pens…. I hate.5 and other “thin” stuff.

Thanks

An M should be a good daily driver, not too thin as this is obviously what you gravitate to, not too thick to use it for writing on ruled paper.

I would only get a B nib if I knew that I'd only use it for bold and swooshy signatures. B or broader nibs are loads of fun, but, to be honest, not really all that practical. I do play around with my ca. 40 pens and also use any other size, but based on your initial description of your anticipated use ... an M should be your best bet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 23019VC View Post
    I am about to buy a 146 for daily use. I am debating between F and M...Do most of you think a M nib would be better for signatures and notes?...
    This is too subjective to expect right or wrong answers to come from others. The adage I oft repeat: Try before you buy! If you want to reduce the risk of buyer's remorse, especially with expensive pens, find a way to test the different nibs. If you will have your 146 shipped to you, your seller might allow a return or exchange if you ask in advance, depending on the type of seller. You haven't noted your location in your profile, but if you can get to a pen show, there's no better way to find the nib you like. If you are buying new, try a pen shop or boutique with a selection of testers.

The 146 is a solid choice, and there are plenty of used examples out there to choose from at predictable pricing.
    Last edited by FredRydr; February 1st, 2023 at 06:04 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (March 1st, 2023)

Thanks

I have never thought about a pen show that would be a really good idea. I actually am not too far away from Los Angeles. I am in the Riverside County area. I just looked online and there’s some big pen show coming up very soon in Los Angeles. Maybe I should check it out