Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

Thanks

Default Re: My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I bought my Montblanc from Fritz Schimpf. I hope if I ever need something I can send it back to FS and they'd handle it. I would not want to deal with MJR.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

That's a dreadful situation. First time I've heard of them. Ick.

It certainly sounds like that.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Yes, in the US there is no longer an official Montblanc service center.

If one requests a repair, warranty or not, through Montblanc you are directed to this company.

From there, to initiate the repair, you will tell them what it is and be prompted to generate a UPS shipping label to ship to them($20-50 depending on where you're located and desired service speed).

Once they've received your item, their "Master" technicians evaluate it and tell you what's wrong and how much they'll charge. If it's a warranty service, you then may have to initiate the process discussed in this thread of arguing with them to convince them it IS actually a warranty service. Once you've accomplished that, you then have to approve the work. Even if the charge for the work is $0, you have to approve and then pay in advance for return shipping($30-60 when I did it the other day) while they finally do the work.

I don't live anywhere close to a boutique, so I can't let them handle actually interacting with MJR as I've heard of others doing.

I have to say too that it bothers me a bit that a warranty repair will still likely cost the ~$60 once return shipping is factored in. It's a far cry from back 10 years ago when I'd send a broken section 2000 to Lamy repair with a check for $7.50 and it would come back in the mail a few weeks later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 27th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Thank you, and I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. In spite of having many pens, I've resisted MB, so I haven't gone through any of their services, etc. I certainly would expect far, far better treatment. There are sub-$100 pen brands that will send you a new part in a couple of days for just the cost of postage, no questions asked, and you would think this luxury brand would treat its customers better that anyone else.

But you know all that. Best of luck to you.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 29th, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you, and I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. In spite of having many pens, I've resisted MB, so I haven't gone through any of their services, etc. I certainly would expect far, far better treatment. There are sub-$100 pen brands that will send you a new part in a couple of days for just the cost of postage, no questions asked, and you would think this luxury brand would treat its customers better that anyone else.

But you know all that. Best of luck to you.
    Although I never used them, I've been told the Texas service center that was closed last August or somewhere around then was excellent and everything you'd expect from Montblanc. In conjunction with a boutique, if you have one, all service really every involved was taking it to the boutique and then waiting for it to come back.

The same is often said of the Hamburg service center.

My last dealing with Chartpak on a Pelikan was absolutely perfect. Goulet had the tortoise brown M800 on sale at a very good price, but they didn't have my preferred B nib in stock. I bought it, inked it once to see if I thought I really did want a B or would be happy with an M, then emailed Chartpak and they sent me the paperwork. I filled it out, stuck the pen in a small fat rate box(I think $7.45 or so at the time) and sent it off. I had a return tracking number less than 24 hours after USPS showed it delivered to them.

Unfortunately, MBUSA choosing to close the Texas location and contract out repair service seems to have been a very poor decision. If the CEO is aware of the issues, as Chrissy states, perhaps this will be a short lived experiment, although who knows how easy it would be for them to bring back the Texas facility or something similar to it. Even if the MB USA/MB NA operates at "arm's length" so to speak from Germany, I can't imagine the CEO would be terribly happy about a fairly large market for MB products not having the support network that should set a luxury brand apart.

Again, I'm just crossing my fingers that if I get a 146C out of the second batch(or who knows how far down I am on the order list and how many batches I'll be back) I won't have any of the issues that a few on FPN(fortunately a minority) seem to be reporting so I won't have to deal with their service.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 27th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Who remembers the Bethlehem Pennsylvania Montblanc service center, before Richemont moved MB services to its (then) Montegrappa service center in Texas? That didn't last long when Richemont sold Montegrappa back to the prior owner in 2009.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

MB outsourced the warranty repair. They get paid by MB for authorized repairs and by the customer for out of warranty repairs is what I was told.

In reality it is probably way more complicated than that…

Thanks

Maybe squeaky wheel gets the grease and all of that, but I just received a call from someone who I believe is higher up in the MJR hierarchy than the person with whom I was communicating apologizing, assuring me it would be taken care of, and with a direct contact email for this person if needed.

I'm wondering if MB Corporate is tightening the screws a bit on them...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 29th, 2022)

Thanks

Maybe squeaky wheel gets the grease and all of that, but I just received a call from someone who I believe is higher up in the MJR hierarchy than the person with whom I was communicating apologizing, assuring me it would be taken care of, and with a direct contact email for this person if needed.

The analogy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease is a good one that I never heard before. I also like this one: It's fine to start with the monkeys but don't be afraid to go to the organ grinder if your problem needs resolving.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Money makes the monkey dance!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

The analogy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease is a good one that I never heard before. I also like this one: It's fine to start with the monkeys but don't be afraid to go to the organ grinder if your problem needs resolving.
    I always find it interesting about the whole-to use another saying-"Two countries separated by a common language" thing.

The squeaky wheel saying is one I grew up hearing, and I think you might agree that it might be appropriate in this case!

Thanks

Well, this stupid saga continues...

I have again received an estimate for $392 to "repair" the 80 days pen to working condition. This is billed as a level 3 "Limited edition" service rate.

I emailed them-probably somewhat less than politely-and received a phone call(went to voicemail since it came up unidentified number and I didn't have time to call them back) where they're claiming it's not a limited edition so isn't covered under 1 year.

I will be calling them back on Monday and ask why it's classed as a limited edition for service purposes and not an LE for nib exchange...it's totally illogical and they are in fact contradicting themselves.

Thanks

I have again received an estimate for $392 to "repair" the 80 days pen to working condition. This is billed as a level 3 "Limited edition" service rate.

I emailed them-probably somewhat less than politely-and received a phone call(went to voicemail since it came up unidentified number and I didn't have time to call them back) where they're claiming it's not a limited edition so isn't covered under 1 year.

I will be calling them back on Monday and ask why it's classed as a limited edition for service purposes and not an LE for nib exchange...it's totally illogical and they are in fact contradicting themselves.
    Crazy. For me it would be time to contact the organ grinder....

Thanks

Might it be time to send an email to Mr. Sylvain Costof, President of MB North America?

While MB does respond to handwritten letters sent to its HQ at 645 Fifth Ave NYC 10022, an April 2020 letter to the CEO praising a MB associate was forwarded to the home of his executive assistant due to the pandemic. Don't know if they are in the offices now or still working from home.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Crazy. For me it would be time to contact the organ grinder....
    That's the plan on Monday. I will start with the concierge service and go from there. I will see what the response is, but contacting the CA Attorney General's office is definitely on the table. At least in other states where I've dealt with the office, the consumer affairs department is usually quick to go after a business and tend to side on the consumer when there is any ambiguity in terms. Often, the AG's office initiating contact with a company will lead to an immediate resolution.

To summarize up to this point:

1. Initially I was presented with an estimate of $392 for a "Level 3 Limited Edition service" to bring my GC WD pen to "writing condition" and the nib exchange denied on the basis that nib exchanges are only honored for 3 months(per their statement, MB says 6 weeks)

2. I contact them, highlighting the relevant information from MB's own web page, about LEs having a 1 year warranty on nib exchanges. I also forward receipts, despite my having included them in the box as per instructions.

3. After a week, I received an approved a $0 estimate for both pens for the nib swap. I pay $31 for return shipping up front before, presumably, they will even order parts.

4. In there, I had emailed Montblanc NA and, apparently at their prompting, someone from MJR contacted me directly and assured me that everything was taken care of and that they were awaiting parts from Germany. I again, at her request, forward receipts for the two pens.

5. A few days later(yesterday) I receive an email telling me that there is an estimate awaiting my approval. I visit their website and find a $392 estimate to return the 80 days 146 "to writing condition", again billed as a Level 3 "Limited Edition" service. When I decline this estimate, I am-again-prompted to pay another $29 for return shipping...

6. I fire of an email both to the person with whom I'd been communicating with a CC to the person who called me saying that I was not happy considering that I had already approved the repair, and that I expected it to be taken care of before I escalated to corporate and also the AG of CA.

7. I receive a call(voicemail) from another person at MJR saying that they had actually extended the warranty on my Disney "as a courtesy" since it was a few weeks past(never mind that they'd farted around about covering it and if they'd just done it the "courtesy" wouldn't have been necessary) but that the 80 Days doesn't qualify for the 1 year nib exchange as it's not a Limited Edition(despite being billed as one for service purposes).

Thanks

Alright, I found myself on the phone today a couple of times with Juan Guevara, the president of MJR.

After talking to me and actually looking at the pen, he agreed with me that the 80 days was far from just a regular 146, so he promised me to reach out again to MB and figure out what was going on. True to his word, he followed up later that afternoon, and in fact I gave him my earliest available time for this afternoon and he called almost to the minute.

It seems as though they don't class the 80 Days pen(and I'm guessing some of the other series pens like Le Petit Prince pens) as "Special Editions" or really anything other than...I guess a regular 146 or 145 or whatever model they happen to be. He agreed with me that it seemed strange, but none the less that's the story.

They are at least not double charging me on shipping, and actually told me that the Disney should be finished by the end of the week(that he would be sure it was handled as soon as they had the nib in-hand) but that's where I am.

So, I guess that's what I get for assuming a pen produced for a limited period of time that externally uses almost no standard 146 parts(body, cap, nib, turning knob, clip, cap finial all unique to the pen-I think only the internals are standard 146) is not in anyway anything other than just a standard production pen. I can't fault MJR for that one...

Although this did get off to a bumpy start, I do appreciate being contacted from the top to sort things out and at least explain what was going on even if I didn't like the answer(which seems out of their control).

Thanks

Not sure what to say about this because you're in North America but in my past pen dealings, from more than one person at Montblanc HQ, I have been advised that they will look very kindly on freely exchanging a nib that had not been used and could be resold. After all it's merely a case of taking one out and putting in another one that is worth exactly the same amount of money. No monetary loss other than the time/effort taken to swap them over.

If this nib is not a standard nib, nor the pen a standard pen, and it's original RRP is more than a standard 146, then how can it be a standard pen? So what do they say it is? Totally unlimited and a continuing mass production, permanent member of their line-up?

I don't know who the president of MJR has reached out to nor what has been said or arranged. I also don't know if the person who was contacted was the president of Montblanc NA.

If it was me I would not agree to paying the cost of a new nib until I had made contact with that person and asked them the question myself. YMMV

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Not sure what to say about this because you're in North America but in my past pen dealings, from more than one person at Montblanc HQ, I have been advised that they will look very kindly on freely exchanging a nib that had not been used and could be resold. After all it's merely a case of taking one out and putting in another one that is worth exactly the same amount of money. No monetary loss other than the time/effort taken to swap them over.

If this nib is not a standard nib, nor the pen a standard pen, and it's original RRP is more than a standard 146, then how can it be a standard pen? So what do they say it is? Totally unlimited and a continuing mass production, permanent member of their line-up?

I don't know who the president of MJR has reached out to nor what has been said or arranged. I also don't know if the person who was contacted was the president of Montblanc NA.

If it was me I would not agree to paying the cost of a new nib until I had made contact with that person and asked them the question myself. YMMV
    Your argumentation is faulty, I doubt that MB would be able to sell a used nib as new, returned goods are not new, they were already in use, no matter if they were used only up to 80 days or even worse up to a year.

You never know what the user did to it, tortured it, “smoothed” it regrind it, or just used it.
    Used is not new, used is used and can never be sold as new again, valid basically for all kind of items, but especially for a luxury brand like MB.

Other companies sell such things as 2nd choice, returned items, pre used, but I doubt that MB has this option.

Other example: If your car garage install a new part (e.g. a starter) for error diagnosis, even for only a couple of minutes and it turns out that it is not the root cause, no supplier would accept a return of a part which was already installed, not even for 5 minutes, for warranty reasons and because used is used.
    Such a part can only be sold as used by the garage but not returned.

Most likely MB scrap such items, you know the value of scrap gold (best case reuse items for goodwill repairs, but I doubt it)

You would be the first person who would complain (personal, phone, on the net, forums,…) if you would get a second hand pre-used nib on your next new pen.

So claiming “no monetary loss” is a very naive viewpoint and simply not true.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; January 31st, 2022 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks

At this point I'm just going to call it a day on it.

I'm sure at some point there will be another...well whatever the heck you call this type of pen...that catches my interest and I'll get a #6 OM nib on it(a size that seems uncommon in my hunting for one, although they can be found on Ebay). I love Around the World in 80 Days, love, in typical Montblanc fashion, all the little details that went into this one, and just the fact that the blue body and other details make it stand out from a regular 146.

There's also the fact that it's not even standard packaging. The box is printed with lovely artwork and not just plain white like my other newer MBs(although it does have a plain white outer sleeve) and the book is larger, has artwork on the cover, and has some background about the story in it. The presentation box is smaller than "true" SEs/LEs, but it's also bigger than the normal box you see on new 146s. As I said, I fail to see any element of this pen that is a standard edition 146, but it's not coded that way so it's not treated that way.

This one had been inked and written with, although only one fill and with the special Around the World in 80 Days ink that was released with the pen(since, what else? even though I'm still convinced it's the same ink as Petrol Blue). I don't know how much demand there would be in exchanges for an M nib given that I expect a significant portion of these pens shipped with one. Still, though, fines are pretty readily available and I'm sure some who bought Fs might decide they want Ms. Still, though, the pen was not unused.

Or, for all I know, the 146C may be the last new MB I buy, although I still want an an O3B 149 and they seem rather elusive on the secondary market and I may have to buy new.

I did look at the box and indeed it doesn't say Special Edition or Limited Edition or anything else on it, so I don't know what to make of this one. My other SE pens(I guess I don't have any true LE/numbered pens) are marked as such on the box and in the paperwork.

Thanks

I don't know if your nib is M or F and you want OM. M to OM is very straightforward and either Kirk or Gena could have easily done that grind so I suspect it's not that simple. If you have a F then you would definitely need to swap it out for an OM.

In Europe I've read that for a level 3 service some people get their original nibs back. I would ask that question. I once got my original EF back when I had a free exchange on one of my 147 pens. Maybe it depends on the original nib? - When they examine it under their high magnification and it still looks 100% new and perfect they might be more inclined to keep it. LOL