Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

Thanks

Default My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

I sent two pens-a Great Characters Disney and a 146 80 Days-for nib swaps.

Both were within one year-the Disney was January 16th purchase(it was received in their facility January 13th) and the 80 Days was sometime in May.

I received a "repair estimate" just a little while on the Disney.

Apparently first of all the Disney that has been inked twice(both times with MB ink since I knew I'd be sending it) and lived in my pen case has otherwise lived at my desk was stated as follows

Quote: To return your writing instrument to working condition will require service level 3. This service includes careful examination and diagnosis, complete disassembly, cleaning and exchange of broken or worn pieces including the damaged nib. We look forward to bringing your writing instrument back to life. Preexisting condition: Received Normal wear and tear on body, cap and clip. client request for nib exchange to (OBB) . complimentary warranty of nib exchange is expired.
    I'll add that even though it was empty, I flushed it with water and then dried it the day before packing and shipping so I know there's nothing on the pen that could possibly not be operational.

The estimate on all of this is $392.

So, a pen they received within one year of my purchase requires a level 3 service to "return to operating condition" even though "normal wear and tear" were the issues noted...

No estimate on the 80s days, but I'm BEYOND pissed about this. I will be on the phone with them as soon as they open in the morning as I do not consider this acceptable, although I have already sent a message through Contact Us.

Thanks

Default Re: My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

Well, apparently MJR is changing the rules and it's now 3 months, not 1 year as Montblanc's website still statesScreen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.48.21 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-17 at 8.50.55 PM.png

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

Apparently MJR is not reading what Montblanc USA has stated in their Services warranty. Assuming you still have the dated receipts, I would contact the Montblanc Concierge Sevice at 1-800-995-4810 and speak to their Ambassador (0900-2000hrs EST M-F) and let Montblanc know MJR is not honoring Montblanc's written policy on nib exchanges. Tell Montblanc you can fax/email copies of the receipts for their examination.

I'm still waiting on my MB Large Boheme received by MJR on 04 August 2021.

All the Best.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (November 14th, 2022), BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 18th, 2022), bunnspecial (January 18th, 2022), custar (February 26th, 2022), Detman101 (January 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

junglejim, when we were all following your thread about your own worrying experiences with MJR I suspected that there may be problems ahead with that company and this very sad thread has not surprised me at all.

The service warranty that bunnspecial quoted from the Montblanc.com website is actually a worldwide warranty and the fact that MJR either hasn't read it, isn't following it or doesn't know which pens are LE's is shockingly bad. They need to correct their mistakes quickly before upsetting/alienating more Montblanc users.

I know the Montblanc CEO is aware of some of these problems. Not sure what he might be doing about them though.

Hopefully these problems will be resolved quickly.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 17th, 2022 at 11:15 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

That's just appalling. They must be making a packet ripping people off with unnecessary service charges if that's how they operate.

Thanks

Alright, I hope a resolution may be forthcoming.

Although per their instructions I sent a copy of the warranty page(not the complete book) on both pens and a copy of the receipt, I was told today that they would need to see proof of purchase date.

I have just provided that.

Also, someone on FPN did point out to me that 1 year is stated for "Limited Editions." In some places on their website MB refers to the Disney as a "Special Edition"(as opposed to the 1901 edition, which by any measurable standard is limited) and the warranty book does state "Special Edition."

Also, there's no mention I can find of the 80 days being anything other than a standard pen, never mind that it most certainly is not a standard production 146 nor does it use a standard 146 nib.

This is my first time using MB service. It's a real shame that it's not been such a great experience so far. I'm also not particularly happy that whether they do the swap or not, junglejim's and others experience here seems to indicate that I'm going to have to pay another $25 or so to get my pens back.

Thanks

Looking at this quote a little closer-the picture didn't show up last night but the pictured pen is not the WD but rather the 80 days.

Are they so incompetent here that they can't tell the difference between the two?Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 2.14.00 PM.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    Alright, I hope a resolution may be forthcoming.

Although per their instructions I sent a copy of the warranty page(not the complete book) on both pens and a copy of the receipt, I was told today that they would need to see proof of purchase date.

I have just provided that.

Also, someone on FPN did point out to me that 1 year is stated for "Limited Editions." In some places on their website MB refers to the Disney as a "Special Edition"(as opposed to the 1901 edition, which by any measurable standard is limited) and the warranty book does state "Special Edition."

Also, there's no mention I can find of the 80 days being anything other than a standard pen, never mind that it most certainly is not a standard production 146 nor does it use a standard 146 nib.

This is my first time using MB service. It's a real shame that it's not been such a great experience so far. I'm also not particularly happy that whether they do the swap or not, junglejim's and others experience here seems to indicate that I'm going to have to pay another $25 or so to get my pens back.
    The other thread made interesting reading. While there may be a technical difference between a LE and a SE, I agree with you that no way is this a standard edition and those are the only pens that seem to qualify for the 80 day limit.

Maybe I would be asking if Montblanc are calling this a standard edition with an unlimited run or a limited edition that won't be produced for very long.

I had a free nib exchange on a special edition pen over 3 years after I bought it. The only criteria was that the nib was in saleable condition and absolutely mint. It clearly qualified as my pen started life with a F nib and it now has an OB nib. Full disclosure was that Montblanc had made a mess of my nib when repairing one of my WE's so following a complaint to the CEO I had someone assigned to my case who I could deal with and he said if there was anything else I wanted, to just ask - So I just asked. They sent me a special post pack to return the pen in so I paid nothing at all.

However, in this instance perhaps I'm rather more fortunate to be in the UK and not the US as I would rapidly have lost patience with My Jewelry Repair after hearing these stories.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 18th, 2022 at 03:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The other thread made interesting reading. While there may be a technical difference between a LE and a SE, I agree with you that no way is this a standard edition and those are the only pens that seem to qualify for the 80 day limit.
    If these in fact are not "limited edition" pens, perhaps I should insist that they sell me some of the others I'd like but missed out on.

I did like the red 146 from the Le Petit Prince series, and after all if it's not a limited edition pen they should make me one, right?

While we're at it, I liked the Kennedy also but wasn't buying MBs at the time. They should be able to make me the regular special, right, if it's not limited?

Thanks

Maybe MJR have mixed up the pens but as they are now requesting proof of purchase for the Disney they have realised their mistake.

Thanks

Maybe MJR have mixed up the pens but as they are now requesting proof of purchase for the Disney they have realised their mistake.

Hopefully so. It does concern me a bit that they've not looked at the 80 days yet, but then perhaps my being a "squeaky wheel" had them put the stop on it while they look into it.

I wonder too if MB Germany would have any sway over MJR since AFAIK their contract is with MB USA. Still, though, the "mothership" has their brand reputation to worry about, and one of the things that does set premium/luxury brands apart is their level and quality of service.

Even if this is ultimately resolved, the fact that MJR didn't know the policy first of all concerns me, and second I wouldn't necessarily consider this a perfect experience given that they've now been handling MB service for 6 months and it's almost like dealing with health insurance to get them to pay for something that that they should.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Well, I was just prompted to approve two quotes at a charge of $0, so have done so. I had to pay for return shipping($31) upfront and I'm guessing it will be several weeks to get the nibs from Germany, but it looks like at least they honored the nib exchange period with some...prompting.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 24th, 2022), carlos.q (January 24th, 2022), Stands on Feet (January 24th, 2022)

Thanks

Isn't it such a good job you were on the ball and questioned their prices? Hope they don't take too long and they are great when you get them back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 427 Posts

glad to hear the nibs are finally moving along, bunnspecial. The sad thing is all the aggravation and emails/calls you had to make just to solve a very straightforward situation. This is something that MJR should have been trained on long ago and reflects poorly on the MontblancUSA franchise as a whole.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 26th, 2022), bunnspecial (January 26th, 2022), Chrissy (January 26th, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    The sad thing is all the aggravation and emails/calls you had to make just to solve a very straightforward situation. This is something that MJR should have been trained on long ago and reflects poorly on the MontblancUSA franchise as a whole.
    Very true and it is probably costing Montblanc much goodwill. Hopefully they are aware of this.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (January 26th, 2022), bunnspecial (January 26th, 2022)

Thanks

Isn't it such a good job you were on the ball and questioned their prices? Hope they don't take too long and they are great when you get them back.
    Yes, I'm not sorry to have pushed even though it was a lot of aggravation from my end.

All of my communication was very clear that I expected this work to be done at no charge and basically when I pushed and they seemed to drag their feet I asked for a firm answer so that, among others, I could report their refusal to honor the warranty both to Montblanc corporate and also the CA Attorney General. I'd hate to think I'd have to do either of those, but that's it. In some communication with Montblanc NA, I did mention that it was not the quality of service I expected from a brand of the caliber of Montblanc of which I've been a loyal, if not particularly high volume, customer.

I'm also a bit worried that some folks on FPN are having to send their 146 Calligraphies in for inadequate flow/etc-apparently a problem that cropped up in the first batch of 149Cs also. I'm hoping that when mine finally does arrive, I won't find myself needing to send it back. I consider it an additional black mark on Montblanc NA that a person needs to spend ~$60+ to even have an in-warranty pen looked at, and I'd be afraid on something like the 146C that it might be difficult to get MJR to understand the problem with railroading when flexing, etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    .....I'd be afraid on something like the 146C that it might be difficult to get MJR to understand the problem with railroading when flexing, etc.
    Going by some known experiences with MJR so far that sounds quite likely.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Because it appears they are now the first port of call Montblanc service center for all Montblanc service in the US

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

That's a dreadful situation. First time I've heard of them. Ick.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 26th, 2022)