Thread: Hello all

Thanks

Default Hello all

Hello Everyone,

My name is Rhys and I am excited to join your community. I have been enamored with pens for about a decade starting when I began taking copious notes in undergrad. I found fountain pens as a way to maintain interest in writing and admiring the pens and their beauty as a quick distraction. I started with a Lamy AL bought in Chicago as a gift from my mother, some of you probably remember that store! A hospital I was doing clinicals at had a nurse who was involved in the pen community and collected mostly European pens. I moved from the Lamy to a Parker purchased at Office Depot in a gift kit. These pens served me well for a couple years and when I graduated from undergrad I was gifted a Nakaya Cigar, which had been a lust object for me. I could write an article on how Nakaya speaks to my heart.

At the same time I was given a Nakaya my brother was gifted a Neo Standard Writer. Unfortunately he did not like it or want it so re-gifted it to me, very kind of him! At the hospital I used two Lamys, one Safari and one AL. They were total work horses and went through 5 or 6 years of hard use. The Nakaya were reserved for grad school studying and were seeing plenty of use.

Once I graduated from grad school I began working in a primary care clinic and the Cigar was my daily pen for the next few years. Again this pen added a richness and happiness to my daily chart scribbles. It also developed a beautiful patina that I am proud of. I did however feel that the threads were at risk of harm if I kept using it in this fashion, so I used that as an excuse to purchase a Piccolo writer with metal threads. So, for the past 3 years or so, the Piccolo has been my trusty companion. I must admit that I have been less than pleased with the quality of Urishi on the Piccolo as it chipped the first day I had it. Since then I have been hesitant to purchase further pens for fear they would not meet the earlier Nakaya quality, maybe it's just me though.

I have some other pens, but the Nakaya are the ones I happen to enjoy. Nice to meet you all, if anyone is in the Seattle area would be fun to sync up! Also, I am excited that a long time friend and pen aficionado Alan H. has joined FPG as well. He has quite the collection amassed!

Rhys

IMG_6091.jpgIMG_6090.jpgIMG_6089.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: Hello all

Oh gee, seeing the photos that large you can really see that these pens are working pens! I hope you will all forgive how dirty they are, didn't prim for pictures!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,253 Posts

Hello and welcome

Beautiful pens!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

TheRhys (February 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Thank you, so much fun to be here. It's tough to find folks to talk pens with, so I am excited to meet like-minded people!

Thanks

Dirty...... who cares, nice pens !

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Hello and welcome.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

love your avatar! Razors are another collection of mine!

Thanks

Welcome! Sincerely!

Nakaya is one of my favorites and urishi is beautiful.

As durable as urishi is I am surprised that it chipped. Did you drop it or ???. Not that it is any of my business, but just curious.
    Last edited by Bisquitlips; February 14th, 2022 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Rhys

Thanks

Re: chipping

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I don't actually remember, but do remember that whatever happened I too was very surprised when it chipped. I have attributed it to the urishi being done in the "new" province where Nakaya is having this work done. Overall the quality has changed in my experience and has made me very reluctant to purchase another Nakaya. I have wanted to get one of their special edition pens but fear that the quality may be lacking.

Rhys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheRhys View Post
    Re: chipping

Hello, sorry for the late reply. I don't actually remember, but do remember that whatever happened I too was very surprised when it chipped. I have attributed it to the urishi being done in the "new" province where Nakaya is having this work done. Overall the quality has changed in my experience and has made me very reluctant to purchase another Nakaya. I have wanted to get one of their special edition pens but fear that the quality may be lacking.

Rhys
    Hey Rhys,

Have you contacted Nakaya just to see if they might be interested in fixing it? Knowing how much "face" Nakaya has wrapped up in their products it wouldn't surprise me if they repaired it at no charge.