Default Re: 2013 DC Pen Show Loot!

Hey Frank,

Were you there? I was looking for you.

Dave

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blopplop For This Useful Post:

Frank (August 13th, 2013)

Thanks

It was great meeting some of you there! And Penultress, thank you for letting us try your Nakaya (i'm still dreaming of it). Nice Tortoise, reprieve! You scored one of the prettiest tortoises at Rick Propas' table! It was incredible having so many pens to look at and try, but I managed to stay on task enough to find my first vintage Montblanc 234 1/2, Ferrari da Varese's Yesterday, which I never imagined owning. I also got an Omas pen case, a sampling of nibs for a dip pen, and a free bottle of CS green ink.
    All in all, it was a good day! Here's a pic of the Varese:
    Ferrari compress.jpg

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bluefeathers For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 12th, 2013), fountainpenkid (August 13th, 2013), penultress (August 13th, 2013), reprieve (August 12th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (September 14th, 2013), Tracy Lee (August 12th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

That is a BEAUTIFUL pen!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Thank you, Tracy, I think so to! When I first saw it online, I was transfixed by its beauty!...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluefeathers For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (August 13th, 2013)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeathers View Post
    It was great meeting some of you there! And Penultress, thank you for letting us try your Nakaya (i'm still dreaming of it). Nice Tortoise, reprieve! You scored one of the prettiest tortoises at Rick Propas' table! It was incredible having so many pens to look at and try, but I managed to stay on task enough to find my first vintage Montblanc 234 1/2, Ferrari da Varese's Yesterday, which I never imagined owning. I also got an Omas pen case, a sampling of nibs for a dip pen, and a free bottle of CS green ink.
    All in all, it was a good day!
    The MB 234 1/2 is a wonderful introduction to vintage MBs; it is the pen that got me hooked on vintage nibs. Congrats on the Ferrari da Varese Yesterday. I remember seeing that pen--it is gorgeous! How does it write?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 12th, 2013)

Thanks

Thanks, reprieve! I have a feeling I'll be hooked in no time. I only wrote a few words with the Ferrari da Varese so far, but it writes *very* smoothly, not as wet-flowing as a modern Pelikan, but just enough to glide.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluefeathers For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 12th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefeathers View Post
    All in all, it was a good day!
    The MB 234 1/2 is a wonderful introduction to vintage MBs; it is the pen that got me hooked on vintage nibs. Congrats on the Ferrari da Varese Yesterday. I remember seeing that pen--it is gorgeous! How does it write?
    Well I wrote a page tonight, or tried to anyway, and it turns out there's a major problem with skipping. I don't know if it's the nib or the feed, or both, but I could not write a 'c' or 'e' on first try, and the pen skips on every type of stroke, and then suddenly gives way completely. I'll have to take it to someone to look at. Don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone knows someone in nyc who is good with repairs, please send me a message!

Thanks

That MB is gorgeous. Fountain Pen Hospital does repairs in NYC, from what I can remember (I lived there for a few years a while back), but your best bet (and certainly, your best value for the money), is to send it to Mike Masuyama. He'll turn it around within 2 wks, more likely 10 days. He did mention that he's moving to California in the coming weeks, so I'd e-mail him first. Mike fixed 5 pens for me at the show, including one MB, and they all write amazingly now.

I had a great time at the show as well. Picked up two Parker Vacs (Silver and golden brown), a Franklin-Christoph 03 prototype with a medium stub, a Sterling Silver Parker Sonnet, a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, and a gray Sheaffer Snorkel Set. Also picked up 4 unrestored esterbrooks out of one of those "grab bags" that were sitting on a few tables, with some sacs to restore them. All in all a good show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blopplop View Post
    Hey Frank,

Were you there? I was looking for you.

Dave
    Dave!

I did not get there till about 11:45 (Should have been there at 11:00-traffic!).
    I was there till 5:00, but I know you were probably gone by 1:00!

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFromNashville View Post
    That MB is gorgeous. Fountain Pen Hospital does repairs in NYC, from what I can remember (I lived there for a few years a while back), but your best bet (and certainly, your best value for the money), is to send it to Mike Masuyama. He'll turn it around within 2 wks, more likely 10 days. He did mention that he's moving to California in the coming weeks, so I'd e-mail him first. Mike fixed 5 pens for me at the show, including one MB, and they all write amazingly now.

I had a great time at the show as well. Picked up two Parker Vacs (Silver and golden brown), a Franklin-Christoph 03 prototype with a medium stub, a Sterling Silver Parker Sonnet, a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, and a gray Sheaffer Snorkel Set. Also picked up 4 unrestored esterbrooks out of one of those "grab bags" that were sitting on a few tables, with some sacs to restore them. All in all a good show.
    Thanks for the recommendation and tips, Joe. Sorry I wasn't clear, it's the Yesterday pen that has a problem with skipping, though as it turns out, my MB will also need some repairs. I'm glad to know FPH did repairs; it's so convenient. Maybe I can convince them to help me out. Nice pens! The Franklin-Christophs were very tempting

Thanks

That's a gorgeous pen! I was looking for you before leaving but you must have been busy with your purchases! Hope to see you at one of the meetings!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penultress View Post
    That's a gorgeous pen! I was looking for you before leaving but you must have been busy with your purchases! Hope to see you at one of the meetings!
    Yes, I will make it to one of the meetings! Sorry I didn't see you on Sunday (and yes, I was running around frantically trying to see all the tables I hadn't seen on Sat., trying vintage and buying pens! still recovering, lol...)

Thanks

I picked this up from Messr Anderson.
    This cover and Visconti I had to have when in DC.
    my son was so well behaved he was given the green light and purchased from Bryant of Chatterly's this Delta with a fusion nib.

Pendleton stopped by to say hi to us ink junkies on Friday night. we all had a great time in DC but missed bringing my wife due to her hospital shifts in the ICU.

oh yes I changed my nib while in DC to a broad nib.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (September 4th, 2013), fountainpenkid (September 7th, 2013), penultress (September 5th, 2013), ThriveToScribe (September 14th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 4th, 2013)

Thanks

WOnderful photos. How's the Edison working? I ordered a Beaumont last week so I'm assuming in another week or so I'll have it. I love the idea of the journal pen holder as I write in a journal that has no pen loop or anything like that. Lovely family photo!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jfsisler For This Useful Post:

Mags (September 4th, 2013)

Thanks

The Pen from Edison performs very well with a steel nib no less. Thank you for the kind compliments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Nice goodies! Thanks to all for showing us you new gear and congratulations on finding things you really loved. Tortoise anything works for me, The Conway Stewart set is great and that pen stand is really nice.
    Last edited by dobemom; September 5th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.