Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: In Partibus Infidelium

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: In Partibus Infidelium

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Thanks. It paywalled me after a few paragraphs, but what the fuck?
    reminds me of the power of vulgarity of this poem:

i sing of Olaf glad and big

i sing of Olaf glad and big
    whose warmest heart recoiled at war:
    a conscientious object-or

his wellbelovéd colonel(trig
    westpointer most succinctly bred)
    took erring Olaf soon in hand;
    but--though an host of overjoyed
    noncoms(first knocking on the head
    him)do through icy waters roll
    that helplessness which others stroke
    with brushes recently employed
    anent this muddy toiletbowl,
    while kindred intellects evoke
    allegiance per blunt instruments--
    Olaf(being to all intents
    a corpse and wanting any rag
    upon what God unto him gave)
    responds,without getting annoyed
    "I will not kiss your fucking flag"

straightway the silver bird looked grave
    (departing hurriedly to shave)

but--though all kinds of officers
    (a yearning nation's blueeyed pride)
    their passive prey did kick and curse
    until for wear their clarion
    voices and boots were much the worse,
    and egged the firstclassprivates on
    his rectum wickedly to tease
    by means of skilfully applied
    bayonets roasted hot with heat--
    Olaf(upon what were once knees)
    does almost ceaselessly repeat
    "there is some shit I will not eat"

our president,being of which
    assertions duly notified
    threw the yellowsonofabitch
    into a dungeon,where he died

Christ(of His mercy infinite)
    i pray to see;and Olaf,too

preponderatingly because
    unless statistics lie he was
    more brave than me:more blond than you.

This is an excerpt for an interview article in The Atlantic from a series on what things/events inspired writers to take up their craft. for this writer, it was the inspiration of the direct vulgarity in objection to torture and bullshit, and the passion of his English teacher who dared to hand it out in class and then read it to them:

Alexander Maksik: I was twelve when I first read e.e. cummings' "i sing of Olaf glad and big." I'm certain that what first drew my interest then were the lines "there is some shit I will not eat" and "i will not kiss your fucking flag." I still remember my teacher, Chris Richard -- black hair, muscular, imposing, and impassioned. I can see him dealing mimeographed copies of the poem onto our desks -- each letter soft and round and blue. He was the teacher who dropped a black bible on the floor, stood on it and said, "A book like any other."

At the time, I cared nothing for school, was always ditching campus to smoke pot beneath the Santa Monica pier. I was a wretched student on academic probation, who would one day fail all of his classes and have to repeat the ninth grade. And yet, here is Chris Richard's voice, deep and frightening: "i sing of Olaf glad and big/whose warmest heart recoiled at war/a conscientious object-or." He is reading to us. Or perhaps he is reciting from memory:

Olaf(being to all intents
    a corpse and wanting any rag
    upon what God unto him gave)
    responds,without getting annoyed
    "I will not kiss your fucking flag"

And:

Olaf(upon what were once knees)
    does almost ceaselessly repeat
    "there is some shit I will not eat"

Whatever discussions there may have been about form and history are lost. But what is sharp in my memory are two things powerful enough to have shaken me, however briefly, from my cultivated apathy: cummings' cool descriptions of Olaf's torture and my teacher's evident passion.

He felt deeply and that feeling was inspired by something beyond us and our tidy school. His intensity was an indictment of disengagement, an indictment of people like me, safe in our shrugging scorn, our affected adolescent indifference. The courage was in caring. And it was Chris Richard who began to turn my apathy into contempt for apathy. In that classroom, at twelve years old, I was so angry, so sad on Olaf's behalf, so hypnotized by my pacing teacher. I wanted to do something about it. And if a short poem could make me feel this way, could show me something I'd never seen, well then what I wanted to do was write.

Watching him pace the classroom, I saw someone who was my opposite -- a person outraged, and engaged with the world. He was not slouching against a wall trading in irony and sarcasm, pretending nothing mattered. And now, 28 years later, as a writer, I return to these familiar questions: How do I respond to those things, which so often inspire anger and sadness, hopelessness and fear? And do I have some duty to respond? My instinct says that I do, but I struggle to understand how. Or even what it means exactly to write in response to the ugliness I see outside of my own life.

I believe that the only argument fiction should ever make is one in favor of empathy, that fiction must never be polemical. I do not believe that stories should necessarily be set within countries, or circumstances foreign to their readers, or that writers have any obligation whatsoever to write characters beyond their own immediate experience. A writer's only obligation is to write what she feels most compelled to write. Nonetheless, I can't shake the sense that I have a responsibility to respond, no matter how obliquely, to what I find unjust. I'm terrified of becoming inured to suffering and cruelty. I do not want to travel, or walk through a city, or read a newspaper, and ignore what is before me. To do so is to shirk my responsibility as a writer. And yet I fail constantly. My tendency is to go numb to it all. To stop seeing. To stop feeling. To ignore those things on the street I wish didn't exist. Writing has become for me a kind of antidote to that tendency, a way to avoid closing my eyes. But the questions remain: How do I imbue my fiction with anger, and sadness, and outrage? And what does it mean to write with passion and caring, to write the way that Chris Richard taught?

My answers are unsatisfying. The best I have is this: I hope that I will continue to feel. It is not, in the end, a question of subject, but one of emotion. The enemy in my writing, as in my life, is a willful blindness and a deadened heart. It is the kind of riskless disengagement I cultivated as an adolescent. In "i sing of Olaf glad and big" outrage is as palpable and as potent as lust and wonder are in cummings' other poems, and for that matter in so many of the stories and novels that have made such a difference in my life. I want always to write with great love and empathy. But I also hope that in some way, no matter how obliquely, my writing will always mean, "There is some shit I will not eat."
    Long live the Richards of this world.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 632 Posts

I was a resister during the Vietnam war. Went through the draft process (physical, OCS test) but wrote a letter refusing to report for induction. Decided I wouldn't kill people who hadn't threatened me or my family for a government I distusted. I had several friends come back in coffins and others return from the war with horrific accounts. One offered to shoot off my toe to get me out of the draft.

Had my hideout cave picked out in a remote and beautiful spot, when they cancelled the draft.

That cummings poem was a keystone for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 16th, 2023)

Thanks

You would have needed some good reading or in that cave....

Thanks

Found the place when I was solo climbing and lost track of the way down. Descended a complex set of chimneys and cracks and came out in a cave with no signs of human presence. There was a nice sleeping ledge and a kitchen spot with a twisty chimney above to diperse the smoke: I set a smoky fire and then went out to check for a plume. There was a balcony alcove from which I could see the entire floor of the canyon and all approaches. The entrance was through a stack of huge talus boulders— invisible from outside. I spent a few nights there, to see how it felt.

It's in Juniper Canyon, in the Redrocks area near Las Vegas, at the base of the high, roundtopped wall at center.

I'd packed a couple cartons of books, writing supplies, and camp gear. I planned to pack in several loads of rice, beans, dried fruit, tinned stuff, etc. Old friends in Vegas agreed to make a supply drop once a month.

Then I got a notice in the mail with a draft card reclassifying me from 1-A to 1-H (for holding).
    Last edited by Chip; February 16th, 2023 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks

Thief Steals Nearly 200,000 Cadbury Creme Eggs in Britain

Unable to resist jokes, the police credited themselves with having “helped save Easter” by solving the “eggs-travagent” crime.

Cadbury Creme Eggs on display in a shop in Birmingham, England.
    Credit: Lee Sanders/European Pressphoto Agency

Daniel Victor
    Feb. 15, 2023

LONDON — A man in Britain admitted to stealing nearly 200,000 Cadbury Creme Eggs, in what the local police described as an “eggs-travagent” theft.

The caper involved breaking into an industrial unit in Telford, outside Birmingham, on Saturday and making off with about $37,000 worth of the eggs, the police in West Mercia said in a statement on Twitter that was riddled with attempted jokes about Easter.

“West Mercia Police has helped save Easter for Creme Egg fans,” the police said.

The man, Joby Pool, 32, pleaded guilty to charges of criminal damage and theft, and will be sentenced on March 14, the police said.

The episode will not deprive anyone of the ultrasweet treat, a chocolate shell filled with a white-and-yellow fondant, that is available from January to April. Mr. Pool’s lawyer, John McMillan, said in court that the eggs had not been tampered with and could still be sold in stores, according to The Guardian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/15/w...e=articleShare

Thanks

Art Fair Visitor Breaks a Jeff Koons Balloon Dog Sculpture

A woman accidentally knocked over a bright blue dog sculpture at Art Wynwood in Miami, causing the $42,000 artwork to shatter, witnesses said.

The Jeff Koons balloon dog sitting intact at Art Wynwood. It would be the last art fair where the sculpture would be displayed in one piece.
    Credit...Bel-Air Fine Art - Contemporary

Amanda Holpuch
    Feb. 18, 2023

The balloon dog sculptures made famous by Jeff Koons so closely imitate their twisted latex inspiration that some observers might think they would be better set in a circus than an art gallery.

But the fragility of these seemingly buoyant sculptures was made clear on Thursday when visitors at an art fair in Miami saw a bright blue porcelain dog worth $42,000 fall and shatter into pieces.

The sculpture, which was about 16 inches tall and 19 inches long, was perched on a transparent pedestal at Art Wynwood, an art fair in downtown Miami where more than 50 galleries from the United States and abroad are showcasing works through Sunday.

During the art fair’s V.I.P. preview night on Thursday, art collectors and other aficionados were milling around when a woman knocked over the Koons sculpture, causing it to shatter into at least 100 pieces.

“Before I knew it, they were picking up the Jeff Koons pieces in a dustpan with a broom,” said Stephen Gamson, an art collector and artist who said in an interview on Saturday that he saw the sculpture fall.

The scene was “kind of like a car accident on the highway, where people start looking and then there’s traffic and then it becomes this big thing,” a witness said.
    Credit...Bel-Air Fine Art - Contemporary Art Galleries

Mr. Gamson said that he was about to point the sculpture out to the group he was with when he saw an unidentified woman tap the sculpture with her finger, knocking it from its pedestal in a booth managed by Bel-Air Fine Art, which has galleries in the United States and Europe.

At first, Mr. Gamson said, he thought that the fall could be part of a staged performance piece, but then he noticed that the woman was blushing and art fair staff members were rushing over.

Suddenly, the shards of porcelain had a bigger audience than the hundreds of intact paintings and sculptures that surrounded them. The Miami Herald reported on the crash on Friday. Wynwood Art could not be immediately reached on Saturday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/18/a...e=articleShare

Thanks

Thanks

Giant Jurassic-era insect rediscovered outside Walmart in Arkansas

Once-abundant giant lacewing was believed extinct in eastern US but mislabelled specimen hints at surviving populations

Ed Pilkington
    Wed 1 Mar 2023

A giant Jurassic-era insect missing from eastern North America for at least half a century has been spotted clinging to the side of a Walmart big box in Arkansas.

The identification of the giant lacewing – Polystoechotes punctata – in an urban area of Fayetteville, Arkansas, sent scientists into raptures. The discovery of a species that was abundant in the age of the dinosaurs but which was thought to have disappeared from large swaths of North America has stoked speculation that there may be entire populations tucked away in remote parts of the Ozark mountains.

The giant lacewing was found by Michael Skvarla, director of Penn State’s insect identification lab. In a report on the university’s website this week, he explained that he made the discovery in 2012, when he was a doctoral student at the University of Arkansas. “I remember it vividly, because I was walking into Walmart to get milk and I saw this huge insect on the side of the building,” Skvarla said. “I thought it looked interesting, so I put it in my hand and did the rest of my shopping with it between my fingers. I got home, mounted it, and promptly forgot about it for almost a decade.”

In a co-authored paper recently published in the Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, Skvarla said that the specimen was incorrectly labelled in his personal collection as an “antlion”, an insect with similar features.

The correct designation of the lacewing had to wait until late 2020, when Skvarla was teaching a Zoom class on biodiversity during the Covid lockdown. As teacher and students stared down at microscopic images, they realized the specimen had been wrongly labelled.

“All of a sudden, out of nowhere, this incredible new record pops up,” Louis Nastasi, a member of the class, told Adrienne Berard, author of the Penn State report.

The giant lacewing was once abundant across North America but was assumed to have been obliterated from eastern regions by the 1950s. It has been portrayed as resembling a cross between a fly and a moth, with mottled wings which it holds tent-like over its body. The causes of the apparent disappearance of the insect have long been a mystery. Possible explanations include light pollution through urbanization and the introduction of non-native species such as ground beetles that prey on the lacewing or earthworms, which can change the consistency of soil.

Suppression of forest fires in the eastern region may also play a part, as giant lacewings depend on post-fire ecosystems.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e_iOSApp_Other

Thanks

Whiskey Fungus Fed by Jack Daniel’s Encrusts a Tennessee Town

The dark growth, fed by alcohol vapors from barrels of aging Jack Daniel’s whiskey, has coated homes, cars, patio furniture and road signs in a sooty crust, residents said.

By Michael Levenson
    March 1, 2023

The ethanol-fueled fungus known as whiskey fungus has thrived for centuries around distilleries and bakeries. It’s been the source of complaints from residents who live near Kentucky bourbon distilleries, Canadian whiskey makers and Caribbean rum manufacturers. Now, it is driving a wedge between some residents of Lincoln County, Tenn., and Jack Daniel’s, the famed distillery founded in 1866 in neighboring Moore County.

For months, some residents have complained that a sooty, dark crust has blanketed homes, cars, road signs, bird feeders, patio furniture and trees as the fungus has spread uncontrollably, fed by alcohol vapors wafting from charred oak barrels of aging Jack Daniel’s whiskey.

Jack Daniel’s has built six warehouses, known as barrelhouses, to age whiskey in the rural county, which is home to about 35,000 residents, and is building a seventh on a property that has room to house one more, a company spokesman said. The distillery has asked the county to rezone a second property where it could build six additional barrelhouses. A company representative, Donna Willis, told county officials in November that 14 barrelhouses would generate $1 million in annual property tax revenue for the county, which had approved about $15 million in general fund spending for the 2022 fiscal year.

But not all residents are happy about the expansion. Christi Long, the owner of a local mansion built in 1900, which she operates as a venue for weddings and other events, sued the county in January, contending that barrelhouses near her property lacked the proper permits. The Longs said they used a pressure washer to clean the whiskey fungus every three months, to no avail.

A judge last week ruled that one barrelhouse currently under construction had not been properly approved and that its building permit would have to be rescinded until Jack Daniel’s obtained the necessary permits.

Ms. Long’s lawyer, Jason Holleman, said he planned to ask the judge and the county to stop Jack Daniel’s from using other barrelhouses near Ms. Long’s 4,000-square-foot mansion, known as the Manor at ShaeJo.

Ms. Long and her husband, Patrick Long, said that whiskey fungus had already inundated the property, darkening the copper roof and exterior walls, creeping over the rock garden and metal gate and encrusting the branches of magnolia trees. Nearby, it blackens metal road signs, they said.

The Longs said they use a high-pressure hose to wash the property every three months with Clorox bleach and water, but the fungus always returns. “If you take your fingernail and run your fingernail down our tree branch, it will just coat the tip of your finger,” Mr. Long said. “It’s just disgusting.”

Ms. Long said her corner of Lincoln County “is going to be black as coal” unless Jack Daniel’s installs air filters in the barrelhouses, one of which sits about 250 yards from her property. “This fungus now is on steroids,” she said.

A lawyer who represents Lincoln County declined to comment, citing the continuing litigation.

Melvin Keebler, general manager of the Jack Daniel Distillery, said in a statement that the company “complies with all local, state, and federal regulations regarding the design, construction, and permitting of our barrelhouses.”

“We are committed to protecting the environment and the safety and health of our employees and neighbors,” Mr. Keebler said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/01/u...e=articleShare

Thanks

Trump Lawyers Gather to Plot Strategy

Thanks

Latvia is sending cars seized from drunken drivers to Ukraine.

The first batch of cars will start making their way on Friday, the head of a charity helping deliver them said, and will go to the military and hospitals.

Emma Bubola

March 9, 2023

Ukrainians have received billions in military aid, including Patriot missile systems from the Americans, training from the British and a pledge of Leopard 2 tanks from the Germans. Now, they are getting cars seized from Latvian drunken drivers, too.

The government of the Baltic former Soviet nation, where staunch support for Ukraine is partly driven by fears of Russian aggression, has already provided significant military and other aid to Ukraine, including Stinger surface-to-air missiles. But the pledge of seized cars, which can be used to deliver supplies or move medical personnel, is a more unconventional step to help Ukraine fight off Russia’s invasion.

“They will be in better hands,” said Reinis Poznaks, who leads a charity that was tasked by the government to deliver the vehicles to Ukraine.

On Wednesday, Latvia’s state revenue service, which keeps records of state property, posted on Facebook a picture of cars loaded on a truck in the country’s snow-covered landscape, noting that they would “no longer be driven on Latvian roads by their former owners — drunk drivers.”

The first batch of cars will start making their way to Ukraine on Friday, Mr. Poznaks said. They will be transferred to Ukrainian Army units, a hospital in the city of Vinnytsia in west-central Ukraine and a medical association in Kupiansk, in the country’s east, the government said in a statement. Fifteen more are set to go next week, Mr. Poznaks said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/w...e=articleShare

Thanks

From The Guardian:

16 March 2023

A Russian local politician who dangled spaghetti from his ears while listening to a speech by President Vladimir Putin has been fined 150,000 rubles (£1,595) on a charge of discrediting Russia’s armed forces, according to a human rights monitoring group.

Mikhail Abdalkin, a Communist party lawmaker in the southern Russian region of Samara, posted a video of himself remotely watching Putin’s state of the nation address last month.

The phrase “to hang noodles on someone’s ears” is based on a Russian saying that refers to someone who has been strung along or deceived.

The monitoring group OVD-Info quoted Abdalkin as saying it had been an ironic gesture to express his dissatisfaction with “the president’s silence about internal political problems”.

Thanks

I wonder what Russian comedy is like these days.

Thanks

Robot lips invented for long-distance kissing

A Chinese startup has invented a long-distance kissing machine that transmits users’ kiss data collected through motion sensors hidden in silicon lips, which simultaneously move when replaying kisses received.

The device, MUA, also captures and replays sound and warms up slightly during kissing, and users can download kissing data submitted via an accompanying app by other users

Online reviews were mixed. One person described it as feeling like 'a warm pacifier', while many complained about its 'lack of tongue'

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e_iOSApp_Other

Thanks

dear lord

Thanks

Unintended Humor.

Fat white guys with beer guts and untrimmed beards hardly need to declare their disdain for grooming.

Thanks

Wee the people: Republican Boebert presses DC witness on public urination

Congresswoman’s fixation on whether criminal code would have decriminalized public urination made biggest splash at hearing

Martin Pengelly
    30 Mar 2023

In bizarre scenes in a US House hearing, the far-right Republican Lauren Boebert asked if a revised Washington DC criminal code was now law – only to be reminded that Congress overturned it earlier this month – then fixated on whether that code would have decriminalised public urination.

The revision was meant to give the District of Columbia a first code update in 120 years, but it became subject to fierce debate over crime as a political issue. Republicans said the code was soft on violent offenses. Angering progressives, Joe Biden said he would not veto a Republican measure to overturn the code.

Charles Allen, a city councilman, chaired the DC judiciary committee which considered the revisions. On Wednesday, Allen was one of four witnesses at the mercy of House Republicans in a hearing entitled “Overdue Oversight of the Capital City”. Allen, DC council chair Phil Mendelson, chief financial officer Glen Lee and Greggory Pemberton of the DC Police Union faced aggressive Republican questioning, mostly regarding policing and crime, including the stabbing last weekend of a staffer to the Republican senator Rand Paul.

But Boebert’s fixation on public urination made the biggest splash. The pro-Trump Coloradan, who has a history of inflammatory behavior, asked: “You led the charge to reform DC’s crime laws. Is that correct?”

Allen said: “I chaired the committee that proposal came from, yes.”

Boebert said: “You led the charge, yes sir. And these changes are now law here in DC. Correct?”

Allen said: “You mean the revised criminal code? No, those are not the law.”

Boebert appeared confused. Mendelson said: “The revised code was rejected by – ” Cutting Mendelson off, Boebert pressed Allen.

“Did you or did you not decriminalise public urination in Washington DC? Did you lead the charge to do so?”

Allen said: “No. The revised criminal code left that as a criminal.”

Boebert repeated: “Did you lead the charge to decriminalise public urination in Washington DC?

Allen said: “No, ma’am.”

Boebert said: “Did you ever vote in favor of decriminalising public urination in Washington DC?”

Allen said: “The revised criminal code that was passed by the council kept it as a criminal offense.”

Boebert said: “Did you ever support this criminal offense status?"

Allen said: “I voted for it, yes.”

Boebert said: “You voted to keep it as a criminal offense?”

Allen said: “That’s correct. The full council did.”

Boebert claimed to “have records” showing Allen favored “allowing public urination”.

Allen said: “No. The –”

Boebert asked: “Is that something you intend to pursue in the future?”

Allen said: “No. The legislation you’re referring to came from the criminal code reform commission that changed public urination from a criminal to a civil offense. The council then changed that, to maintain it as a criminal offense at the request of the mayor.”

Boebert yielded her time.

Addressing the witnesses, Becca Balint, a Democrat from Vermont, lamented: “Rather than addressing a number of serious concerns our constituents have, [Republicans] are choosing to waste our time talking about public urination. Do you have anything additional you want to say about public urination?”

Boebert said: “I do.”

Balint said: “No, not you. It’s not your time. It’s a question to these people.”

In conclusion, Jamie Raskin of Maryland, the ranking Democrat on the panel, said: “This has been a degraded, tawdry discourse today, with obsessive questioning about public urination.”

“I hope the public doesn’t see this hearing and regard all of it as an episode of public urination in which the people of Washington are the ones getting rained on.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other

Thanks

Yeah, I read about that one. <headsmack>

Thanks

Spilled drink: train derails beside Montana river, tipping out cases of beer

Coors Light and Blue Moon shipments spilled beside the Clark Fork River in Paradise, leaving a difficult mess

3 Apr 2023

A train derailment beside a scenic western Montana river has spilled powdered clay and huge amounts of beer, leaving crews with a daunting cleanup.

The train derailed on Sunday across the river from Quinn’s Hot Springs Resort in Paradise, spilling cases of Coors Light and Blue Moon beer in cans and bottles, the Missoulian reported. No injuries have been reported.

“It’s a terrible spot to get in and out of,” said Bill Naegeli, manager for Sanders county disaster and emergency services, of the derailment on the Clark Fork River.

Seven cars are believed derailed in the narrow tunnel where it will be hard to extricate them, Naegeli said. A tanker car carrying butane was on its side, but it did not leak, Naegeli said.

A boom was deployed across the river to secure any cans or bottles of beer that enter the water and to monitor for any possible diesel impacts after a small amount of fuel spilled on the dirt from two refrigerator cars that derailed, said Andy Garland, spokesperson for Montana Rail Link, on Monday.

“MRL has been in communication with both local and federal authorities and will conduct any necessary site remediation, including impacted soil removal in coordination with DEQ,” Garland said.

Photograph: Ben Allan Smith/AP

Directly across the river, some guest cabins at Quinn’s resort were evacuated as a precaution, the Plains-Paradise rural fire district said in a social media post.

Denise Moreth, the resort’s general manager, told the Missoulian that front desk workers heard a “loud, rumbling crash, and then they heard the train derailment”.

Garland said on Sunday it was unclear how long it would take to remove the derailed cars and repair the tracks and railroad bed, which appeared to have been damaged when the cars slid off the tracks. Crews were working in the area on Monday.

The cause of the derailment is still under investigation, officials said.

Federal regulators and members of Congress are urging railroads to do more to prevent derailments after recent fiery wrecks involving hazardous chemicals in Ohio and Minnesota prompted evacuations.

Rail accidents including derailments have been trending downward in the US as the number of miles traveled by trains decreases. However, the rate of accidents per mile has been increasing, according to the Federal Railroad Administration. Railway unions contend rail transportation has become riskier in recent years after widespread job cuts.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other
    Last edited by Chip; April 4th, 2023 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks

A Widow Said Her Husband Was Left in a Drinks Cooler After Dying on a Cruise

Marilyn Jones accused Celebrity Cruises in a lawsuit of storing her husband’s body in a cooler rather than the ship’s morgue and allowing it to become “horrifically decomposed.”

Lauren McCarthy
    April 22, 2023

Last August, Marilyn Jones and her husband, Robert, set out from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on an eight-day Caribbean cruise aboard the Celebrity Equinox. The couple, of Bonifay, Fla., were just two days into the trip when Robert Jones, 79, died of a heart attack.

Celebrity Cruises presented Ms. Jones with two options, according to a federal lawsuit that she filed against the cruise line this week: disembark with her husband’s body in San Juan, P.R., or agree to have it stored in the ship’s morgue until it returned to Florida six days later. She opted to remain with the ship. But when a funeral home worker and a Broward County sheriff’s deputy came aboard in Fort Lauderdale to retrieve Mr. Jones’s body, they discovered that it had been moved from the morgue to a cooler on a different floor, according to the lawsuit, which was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.

Having been stored at an insufficient temperature, the body had “horrifically decomposed,” the lawsuit said, preventing his family from having an open casket at his wake and funeral.

For her trauma, Ms. Jones, who had been married to her husband for 55 years, and her family are seeking a jury trial and at least $1 million in damages.

In a statement, Celebrity Cruises declined to comment, citing “the sensitivity of the alleged facts and out of respect for the family.”

The lawsuit, which was reported by Miami New Times, said members of the ship’s crew told Ms. Jones that there was a “50/50 shot” if she got off the ship in San Juan that the coroner’s office there would take possession of her husband’s body for an autopsy before releasing it to a funeral home. She was told she would have to stay in Puerto Rico with his body and make arrangements on her own to get it, and herself, back to Florida.

Assured that the Equinox was equipped to safely transport her husband’s body back to Fort Lauderdale, Ms. Jones, who was 78 at the time and suddenly traveling alone, gave the crew permission to store his body in the ship’s morgue and agreed to remain on board for the rest of the cruise, the lawsuit says.

“She was given a very difficult choice,” Thomas Carey, a lawyer representing Ms. Jones, her two daughters and three grandchildren, who are also plaintiffs in the lawsuit, said in an interview on Friday. “She logically selected the ship’s morgue,” he said, after she was assured it had a working facility. “At some unknown point,” he said, “somebody discovered that the refrigeration was not working.”

When the funeral home worker and the sheriff’s deputy found that Mr. Jones’s body was not in the morgue but had been moved to a beverage cooler, the lawsuit said, it was “immediately clear” that it was in the advanced stages of decomposition, the lawsuit said. The body, it said, had expanded with gas and “his skin had turned green.”

The cooler was intended for things like soda, Mr. Carey said, and was not nearly cold enough to store a human body.

Like all cruise ships, the Celebrity Equinox, which is registered in Malta and can carry up to 2,852 people, is required to have a morgue because onboard deaths are not uncommon, said Hendrik Keijer, a marine operations expert who served for 10 years as a captain on Holland America Line cruise ships. “For some people it is their last vacation, unfortunately,” Mr. Keijer said. “That’s why morgues are onboard.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/22/u...e=articleShare