Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: In Partibus Infidelium

Thanks

Default Re: In Partibus Infidelium

Team Trump is being enabled by evangelicals and looney tune folks.

I heard a mom say she wasn’t listening to the Jan6 hearings because of inflation, which she feels is more important. I was think how much she would be thinking about fuel price if Trump was re-elected and instituted Droit du seigneur.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I heard a mom say she wasn’t listening to the Jan 6 hearings because of inflation, which she feels is more important. I was think how much she would be thinking about fuel price if Trump was re-elected and instituted Droit du seigneur.
    Don't get this.

Call me a dunce, but could you please explain?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I heard a mom say she wasn’t listening to the Jan 6 hearings because of inflation, which she feels is more important. I was think how much she would be thinking about fuel price if Trump was re-elected and instituted Droit du seigneur.
    Don't get this.

Call me a dunce, but could you please explain?
    Just that some consider whatever problems they have at the moment as more important than the potential loss of our democracy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Just that some consider whatever problems they have at the moment as more important than the potential loss of our democracy.
    Dear god this one is a low hanging curveball.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Do your best.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 21st, 2022)

Thanks

I wondered how Droit du seigneur would apply?

I know what it is.

Thanks

I wondered how Droit du seigneur would apply?

I know what it is.
    If you know what it is, you know how it would apply in an authoritarian state.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Didn't Trump try to pass that as an executive order?

😄

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!

Thanks

I heard a mom say she wasn’t listening to the Jan6 hearings because of inflation, which she feels is more important. I was think how much she would be thinking about fuel price if Trump was re-elected and instituted Droit du seigneur.
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post357063

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post357063
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/dumbest-internet-posts

Thanks

This one's a peach!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (June 22nd, 2022)

Thanks

Fun with Latin.

Et tu, Alito? Murder of stare decisis creates legal circus maximus.

By Dana Milbank

July 1, 2022

Now begins the era of stare indecisis.

Respect for precedent — known by the Latin stare decisis, “to stand by things decided” — had been a centuries-old cornerstone of the rule of law, necessary so “the scale of justice” doesn’t “waver with every new judge’s opinion,” as the 18th-century legal philosopher William Blackstone wrote.

But — et tu, Alito? — the Supreme Court’s radical right put the knife in stare decisis in its decision overturning Roe v. Wade and destroying 50 years of precedent upon precedent.

The dissenting justices wrote that “the majority abandons stare decisis,” an act that “threatens to upend bedrock legal doctrines,” “creates profound legal instability” and “calls into question this Court’s commitment to legal principle.”

The majority protested that it didn’t abandon stare decisis — then explained why it did: “Stare decisis is not an inexorable command. … Stare decisis is not a straitjacket.”

The burial of stare decisis leaves us, ipso facto, with a void: Which Latin phrase best describes the legal doctrine of this new era, in which judges rule by whim, not precedent? Well, thank your lucky stares, because my classics consultant, Vanessa (she asked that her surname not be used in order to speak Latin frankly), has many options.

Labels such as “judicial modesty,” “judicial restraint” and “originalism” were trashed along with stare decisis. For this radical majority to claim “restraint” now would be the very definition of stare mendaciis — to stand by lies. Other better labels for the court majority’s new philosophy are stare deviis (to stand by inconsistent things), or perhaps stare fetore (to stand by a foul odor), in honor of the question Justice Sonia Sotomayor posed during oral arguments: “Will this institution survive the stench that this creates?”

But maybe most accurate is stare sodalitate — to stand by your political party. To the Romans, this meant either “electioneering gang” or “religious fraternity,” both apt descriptions of this court’s right wing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...recedent-dead/
    Last edited by Chip; July 2nd, 2022 at 02:53 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 2nd, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Fun with Latin.

Et tu, Alito? Murder of stare decisis creates legal circus maximus.

By Dana Milbank

July 1, 2022

Now begins the era of stare indecisis.

Respect for precedent — known by the Latin stare decisis, “to stand by things decided” — had been a centuries-old cornerstone of the rule of law, necessary so “the scale of justice” doesn’t “waver with every new judge’s opinion,” as the 18th-century legal philosopher William Blackstone wrote.

But — et tu, Alito? — the Supreme Court’s radical right put the knife in stare decisis in its decision overturning Roe v. Wade and destroying 50 years of precedent upon precedent.

The dissenting justices wrote that “the majority abandons stare decisis,” an act that “threatens to upend bedrock legal doctrines,” “creates profound legal instability” and “calls into question this Court’s commitment to legal principle.”

The majority protested that it didn’t abandon stare decisis — then explained why it did: “Stare decisis is not an inexorable command. … Stare decisis is not a straitjacket.”

The burial of stare decisis leaves us, ipso facto, with a void: Which Latin phrase best describes the legal doctrine of this new era, in which judges rule by whim, not precedent? Well, thank your lucky stares, because my classics consultant, Vanessa (she asked that her surname not be used in order to speak Latin frankly), has many options.

Labels such as “judicial modesty,” “judicial restraint” and “originalism” were trashed along with stare decisis. For this radical majority to claim “restraint” now would be the very definition of stare mendaciis — to stand by lies. Other better labels for the court majority’s new philosophy are stare deviis (to stand by inconsistent things), or perhaps stare fetore (to stand by a foul odor), in honor of the question Justice Sonia Sotomayor posed during oral arguments: “Will this institution survive the stench that this creates?”

But maybe most accurate is stare sodalitate — to stand by your political party. To the Romans, this meant either “electioneering gang” or “religious fraternity,” both apt descriptions of this court’s right wing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...recedent-dead/
    Love this.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

Only in America. (Note the fake armament on the truck.)

Man Dies After Truck Propelled by Jet Engines Crashes at Michigan Air Show

By Vimal Patel
    July 2, 2022

The driver of a truck that could top 350 miles per hour because it was powered by jet engines died after the vehicle crashed on Saturday while racing two airplanes at an air show in Michigan, officials said. The custom-built race truck, which was equipped with three jet engines and a combined 36,000 horsepower, crashed during the pyrotechnic portion of the Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show and Balloon Festival in Battle Creek, Mich., about 50 miles southwest of Lansing.

Chris Darnell, the driver of the truck and a member of a family that had been part of the air show business for many years, was killed, said Barbara Haluszka, the executive director of the festival. “Chris had a crash, and the jet truck flipped over, and, unfortunately, he did not live,” she said in an phone interview on Saturday night. “All other details are 100 percent under investigation.”

In a statement, Mr. Darnell’s father, Neal Darnell, said the accident was “a result of mechanical failure on the Jet Truck.”

“Chris so loved the Air Show business,” he said. “He was ‘Living the Dream,’ as he said.”

Videos from bystanders show the truck barreling down a runway at Battle Creek Executive Airport at Kellogg Field in pursuit of the two airplanes, with flames shooting out its back. An excited announcer declares, “He’s coming fast! He’s coming really fast!”

The airplanes involved were a Zivko Edge 540 piloted by Bill Stein, and a MXS-RH piloted by Rob Holland, said Ryan Traver, a festival board member, who added that the pilots of the civilian aircraft were not injured. It was not immediately clear how fast the planes had been traveling. A thick orange-and-black fireball can be seen in the foreground of the video, and the vehicle, called a Shockwave Jet Truck, disappears behind it and tumbles after emerging on the other side. Gasps can be heard in the crowd as the truck breaks into pieces along the runway. Despite what it looks like in many of the videos, the fireball was pyrotechnics and Mr. Darnell did not drive through the flames, Ms. Haluszka said.

“The pyro is on the grass,” she said. “The jet truck is running on the runway. From the crowd’s side, it looks like he’s driving straight through the pyro. But he’s not.”

A spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration said that because the accident involved a truck, not an airplane, the agency was not investigating. The Battle Creek Police Department, which is investigating, confirmed on Facebook the death of Mr. Darnell, 40, but said it had no more information about the crash. The department could not immediately be reached for comment.

The vehicle was owned by Darnell Racing Enterprises. Phone and email messages left for the company were not immediately returned on Saturday night. The truck was described on a website for it as being able to reach speeds topping 350 m.p.h. and as “the most powerful truck in the world,” with three engines providing 21,000 pounds of thrust.

“This is truly an assault of all your senses with huge flames coming out of the 3 after-burning jet engines, fire shooting out of the smoke stacks, intense heat, deafening noise, and SPEED!” the website said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/u...e=articleShare
    Last edited by Chip; July 3rd, 2022 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks

Seen any good Josh Hawley memes or cartoons?

Here are some:

Thanks

As they used to say, "don't let your mouth overload your ass".

Thanks

A couple soundtracks for the Hawley Sprint. (lower the volume before playing)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550297488220983296

https://twitter.com/i/status/1550297512506003456
    Last edited by Chip; July 23rd, 2022 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks

Colorado Man Pleads Guilty to Casting Missing Wife’s Ballot for Trump

Prosecutors in April dropped a first-degree murder charge against Barry Morphew, whose wife, Suzanne Morphew, disappeared in May 2020.

By Neil Vigdor
    July 22, 2022

The husband of a Colorado woman who has been missing for more than two years pleaded guilty on Thursday to casting her mail-in ballot for Donald J. Trump during the 2020 election, telling F.B.I. agents, “I figured all these other guys are cheating.”

The man, Barry Morphew, 54, was given a sentence of one year of supervised probation but avoided jail time after pleading guilty to one count of forgery, a felony, in district court in Chaffee County, according to court records.

The outcome in the voter fraud case marked the latest twist in the mystery of what happened to Suzanne Morphew, who disappeared in May 2020 after going for a bike ride near her home in Salida, Colo.

The missing person’s case has generated national headlines. Prosecutors charged Mr. Morphew with first-degree murder last year, but then, in April, they dropped all charges against him related to her disappearance after a judge imposed sanctions on them for violating discovery rules. Mr. Morphew maintained his innocence as prosecutors accused him of killing his wife after learning that she had been involved in an extramarital affair.

The body of Ms. Morphew, a mother of two who was 49 when she vanished, has not been found.

About five months after she was reported missing, her mail-in ballot for the 2020 election arrived at the clerk’s office in Chaffee County, about 100 miles west of Colorado Springs, according to an arrest warrant.

Election officials contacted the sheriff’s office, which took a photograph of the ballot and seized it as evidence. A space for the voter’s signature was blank, but Mr. Morphew wrote his name on a line for legal witnesses to sign ballots. The ballot was dated Oct. 15, 2020.

When F.B.I. agents asked Mr. Morphew why he had returned his missing wife’s ballot, he told them, as detailed in the warrant, “Just because I wanted Trump to win.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/22/u...e=articleShare

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Yeah, weird case

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

More on Hawley. Maybe he should hire Jordan Peterson as an advisor.

Josh Hawley, senator who ran from Capitol mob, mocked by home paper

Kansas City Star editorial excoriates Republican as ‘laughingstock’ as memes based on January 6 video proliferate

Martin Pengelly
    Sun 24 Jul 2022

Josh Hawley, the Missouri senator shown running from the mob he incited on January 6, is “a laughingstock” who should be afraid of what the Capitol attack committee might disclose next, a leading newspaper in his home state said.

Hawley was widely criticised for raising a fist to protesters outside Congress on 6 January 2021, then after the mob sent by Donald Trump failed to stop certification of Joe Biden’s election win, voting to object to results anyway.

The senator cast that vote, American voters now know, after running when rioters broke into Congress.

In an editorial, the Kansas City Star noted that Hawley will soon publish a book entitled Manhood: The Masculine Virtues America Needs, but said people watching the hearing “didn’t see much virile bravado as he ran from the mob”.

The Star began: “Josh Hawley is a laughingstock. During Thursday night’s televised hearings of the House committee investigating the January 6 2021 coup attempt … [Democratic] representative Elaine Luria showed video of Missouri’s junior senator that will surely follow him the rest of his life.

“In the clip, Hawley sprints across a hallway as he and his fellow senators are evacuated after insurrectionists had breached the Capitol building. When it played on the screen, the audience in the room with the committee erupted in laughter.” [SIZE=3]

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other
    Last edited by Chip; July 24th, 2022 at 12:26 PM.