Thread: Research help on Fabriano Aurelius stationery?

Thanks

Default Research help on Fabriano Aurelius stationery?

Hello, all. A friend I occasionally chat with about fountain pens and inks recently gifted me a box of vintage Fabriano handmade stationery in beautiful condition. I'd love to know more about it--he didn't remember where he'd come across it or even how long he'd had it, so I'm completely in the dark, and Google hasn't been much help. I'd especially like to have a better sense of its age. Has anyone come across this before? I'll add some pictures of the box, the envelopes and their watermark, the folded A4 sheets and their watermarks... Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Research help on Fabriano Aurelius stationery?

handmade stationery
    I've only run into amateur/ball point only handmade papers at various fairs, in the corner where various foods are served. Having a fountain pen with me, ran into super feather champs only.

I don't know the brand but did see at $10.00a sheet some superior Italian hand made paper. At that price, I become forgetful in a hurry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BoBo Olson For This Useful Post:

rkesey (September 21st, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Fabriano's a well-known paper manufacturer. But I know them mainly for their drawing and watercolor papers, and not for stationery. That's a beauty of a set! Have you tried it yet?
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hard to tell it's age, but I know these types of letter and card sets with silk bows was much more common in the 1980s and 90s, and probably preceeding decades. I haven't seen them in years now. What I see now is usually not the same quality I used to find in book shops. You can find similar things if you seek them out though. I think the current Fabriano sets are Medioevalis. I have no good info on your vintage stationary set, but in my experience Fabriano makes paper that handles wet pens and dip nibs fine, both Medioevalis and the basic notebooks. The simple, elegant style isn't easy to date, maybe the golden emperors eagle can give you a hint, and the watermark might be worth looking into. I did a picture search and found this.
    Last edited by arrow; September 15th, 2022 at 04:39 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, and sorry for not seeing this sooner! Not sure why I didn't get a notification but I'll sort that out. Yes, I've written a few letters on it, and it's really lovely--smoother than it looks, and aces with M and B nibs. Italic nibs dig in just a bit (but might not if I were better with them.

Thanks

Thanks, arrow, especially for the link to that webpage, and sorry for the slow reply. You're exactly right that it likes wet nibs best, M and wider--no surprise there, I guess. It's smoother than it looks. I'll keep poking around to see if I can date it; for now, just enjoying it.