Thread: Omas 360 nib rotation

Thanks

Default Omas 360 nib rotation

Has anyone had this done and if so, by whom? I know that Nibs.com did it at one time but I don't know what's currently out there.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Thanks

Default Re: Omas 360 nib rotation

The nib is friction fit in a threaded collar. I suggest you leave the collar alone; they are fragile. But you can pull the nib and reinsert it in a position you like. Trying to twist the nib without at least partially pulling it is likely to leave the nib way out of whack.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I've never done it with a 360 but on some modern Omas pens you can unscrew the section then knock out the nib and feed. One of my Omas Paragon style pens has a nib unit that unscrews without too much effort and the other doesn't unscrew.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Don’t have any recommendations, but any competent repair person should be able to do it. I would just email a few with what you want done. Ron Zorn is on this forum, so that may be a place to start. If he can’t, perhaps he would provide a recommendation.

I know you weren’t asking for “how to”, but I’ll add the following since it has been raised and will inevitably appear in someone’s search in the future.

The 360 doesn’t have a removable section like the Ogiva or faceted (newer production) pens Chrissy mentions. You can try to unscrew the nib unit (pentooling makes a tool), knock out the feed, and then reorient. Problems with that are that the ebonite collar is fragile, often stuck firm, and you have to reinstall it before reseating the nib in order to know the orientation.

Another way is to pull the piston and drive the nib out. That has the potential for problems too, because the knob is pinned. You have to drive the pin out, and there are a variety of issues that can result.

Lastly is trying to pull the nib and feed, which can result in a bent nib or broken feed.

I’m reminded of the mechanic’s meme that every 30 minute job is one broken bolt away from a 3 day ordeal.

HERE’S a previous thread on 360 nib removal. One poster mentions having Greg Minuskin doing the work.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll let a professional handle this.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk