Thread: Mini review - Colorverse α And

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,259 Posts

Default Mini review - Colorverse α And

Following on from Yazeh, this is a quick review of Colorverse's α And, from the most recent Project series.

I've never been a huge fan of Colorverse inks, not because they're bad, but because of their peculiar packaging and pricing. All the colours I've ever seemed to want have been the small bottle in the very expensive two-ink sets, or available only in (again very pricey) three pack bottles. The only exception to this has previously been the Joy in the Ordinary inks (which I like a lot) and the Office series, which tend for some reason to be largely overlooked.

This one came as a surprise. It's definitely in my favoured 'pale and interesting', multichromatic colour range that I love for both drawing and writing. I have no qualms about using pale inks as most of my writing is in short messages rather than extended pages where a darker ink may be more practical.

This photo is a little too light (there's not been a lot of daylight around recently)

inkguess83a.jpg

As for behaviour - I can't think of anything I'd complain about. I was writing with a TWSBI Swipe with a 1.1 stub, so I'd have been surprised to have problems with dryness, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well lubricated it is - unusual for this type of ink - but I didn't have any problems with showthrough, even on TR52gsm, apart from with the very heavy blob of ink, which I'd expect to bleed through at least a bit.

inkguess83c.jpg

inkguess83b.jpg

In terms of comparisons to other inks, there are a number that come close - it's definitely a blue grey rather than a grey blue, and there's far less green than I originally thought.

chroma-grey-compare.jpg

It's probably closest to Vinta Armada, but is wetter, and certainly better value (here in the UK at least). I paid £17 (about US$22.60 at today's rate) for a 65ml bottle from Cult Pens, which is a fair bit less than it seems to be at other retailers.

Lastly, I had a bit of fun with a quick Nick Stewart style inkwash landscape, which clearly shows an interesting chroma, and a little part dry, part wet-in-wet thing.

inkguess83d.jpginkguess83e.jpg

Written samples: TR 52gsm
    Swatches: Exacomta Card 205gsm
    Watercolours: Seawhite 350gsm cold press medium
    Pen: TWSBI Swipe 1.1mm stub

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (November 4th, 2022), junglejim (March 1st, 2022), Pterodactylus (March 1st, 2022), Sailor Kenshin (February 27th, 2022), Yazeh (February 27th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,263 Posts

Default Re: Mini review - Colorverse α And

Love your "mini" review. Quite complex and delightful to the eyes. I don't like to write with faded inks, but I enjoy seeing reviews of them